walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lockdown walking routes.

Lockdown walking routes.

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:06 am

It's only a matter of time before Scotland goes into total Lockdown with access to the outdoors severely restricted. I've sometimes wondered on possible routes from my house when the world and society goes t**ts up.
A route which could be walked with minimum human contact.
Some folk in the highlands will be lucky enough to have the outdoors right on their backdoor and will be able to access the hills legally when the inevitable happens. My route in this hypothetical dystopian world will be highly illegal. :shock:

I've got a week off in may and here is the route I have rough drafted from my front door to Ben Nevis taking in a few hills. A bit of fine tuning required and more time perhaps. :D

New_Route (1).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunset tripper

Re: Lockdown walking routes.

Postby Moriarty » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:26 pm

I think many of us will dream of running away, it's a daunting prospect.

Hopefully there will be opportunity to assist in community for those who are not tasked to continue with there jobs.

A time to see whether values and virtues we displayed are a veneer, or run all the way through.
Moriarty

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:23 am

Moriarty wrote:
Hopefully there will be opportunity to assist in community for those who are not tasked to continue with there jobs.

A time to see whether values and virtues we displayed are a veneer, or run all the way through.

Yes indeed and I'm optimistic.

I think many of us will dream of running away, it's a daunting prospect.

Yes I agree and my post was a bit of escapism and a bit tongue in cheek. I will be working a lot and hopefully able to help in the community also, in the coming weeks - though the route is something I can look at when we get through these troubled times and arrive in the Brave New World. :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby alanlees » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:08 am

Just stay at home
alanlees
Munro compleatist

Munros:279   Corbetts:78
Fionas:12   

Postby Robertgee » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:25 pm

Biggest problem with your route is how will you get back home? All transport will be shutdown by then, and it'll be illegal for anyone to collect you by car. No driving unless to the supermarket with a signed permit from Boris. :lol:
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Postby gaffr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Hello... I sure that I am not the only one living within a National Park and can cycle to reach several of the access points to reach many of the hills within.
I guess that this would not be contrary to any of the 'bannings' about to happen.?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Fractral » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:25 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello... I sure that I am not the only one living within a National Park and can cycle to reach several of the access points to reach many of the hills within.
I guess that this would not be contrary to any of the 'bannings' about to happen.?

The advice which may soon be an order is to stay local and stay safe, so if you live within easy access of a hill then that is fine. Just try and avoid doing anything dangerous because you may not be rescued. (That said, cycling may be banned if the government follows what's happened in spain and france)

If you're healthy then you don't *need* to stay indoors, despite what some are saying - I and many others would go quite insane if forced to stay home for months on end (I live in a 300 sq.ft flat) but please observe social distancing rules when going for walks or runs and stay at least 2 meters away from others.
Fractral
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:71
Fionas:47   Donalds:28+8
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:121   Islands:5

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:03 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello... I sure that I am not the only one living within a National Park and can cycle to reach several of the access points to reach many of the hills within.

Latest BMC statement is to stay away from the hills:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-and-hill-walking-its-time-to-put-it-on-hold?fbclid=IwAR3d8rCpdDmSIoXnBQgXP_-RdwGlBYHsZGTaAOa0Y45NO2gA1PJ2umg-kDg

I know it's Mountaineering Scotland that perform the same function here but I'd imagine they will have something to echo that shortly.

Not great, but to be expected I think.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Backpacker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:15 pm

Thankfully I've a fairly modest hill (Strathfinella Hill) a 2 min drive away which I'm on quite a bit anyway to walk the dog, so I'll be able to keep up some form of hill fitness while we're being asked to stay away
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby al78 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Fractral wrote:
gaffr wrote: (That said, cycling may be banned if the government follows what's happened in spain and france)

I hope not. Why should cyclists be punished for the risk externalised onto them by motorists? Not that the risk is high, cycling on road is a very safe activity. If the government are bothered about cycling accidents and burden on the NHS, banning all but essential driving would save the NHS far more workload.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:44 pm

Same here, I can cycle to the Surrey hills or the South Downs. I can't see why cycling to a quiet area and walking up and down a hill would pose any risk to anyone.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby gaffr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Hello.... Must have been someone else who wrote about cycling being banned In this country.
I am one who tries to stay well away from roads when on my bike.... If this is possible.
My local recently constructed cycle track beside the A9 dualled has had a vehicle plough across the track wrecking both the crash barrier thing and wrecking the new fence between track and animal fields as well as in another area the spillage from a busted vehicle windscreen.
Duelling can bring about faster speeds and more wreckless driving.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby rohan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Backpacker wrote:Thankfully I've a fairly modest hill (Strathfinella Hill) a 2 min drive away which I'm on quite a bit anyway to walk the dog, so I'll be able to keep up some form of hill fitness while we're being asked to stay away

2 minute drive, that's in walking distance.
rohan

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Fractral wrote:
The advice which may soon be an order is to stay local and stay safe, so if you live within easy access of a hill then that is fine. Just try and avoid doing anything dangerous because you may not be rescued. (That said, cycling may be banned if the government follows what's happened in spain and france)

If you're healthy then you don't *need* to stay indoors, despite what some are saying - I and many others would go quite insane if forced to stay home for months on end (I live in a 300 sq.ft flat) but please observe social distancing rules when going for walks or runs and stay at least 2 meters away from others.

Yes I totally agree. There is no need for everyone to stay away from the hills, the hills and other places can be accessed responsibly and safely even in the present situation.
The problem is it's too complicated for the government, and a blanket ban is a far easier option especially in light of all the rockets heading over the border into Wales at the weekend.
Also the mental health of the citizens has to be (and I'm sure it is) a massive issue for the government. Locking people up in their homes is not good.

One thing for sure is once we get through all this and the dust has settled, things have to be different. The people will not accept this or be willing to go through it all again.
The NHS was at bursting point without the virus. Next time the NHS needs to be far better funded and resourced even if it means working well below capacity most of the time. It will cost money and higher taxes but as we are now seeing, it was a false economy for the worlds health services to be running on a shoestring. :(
Sunset tripper

Postby Backpacker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:00 pm

rohan wrote:
Backpacker wrote:Thankfully I've a fairly modest hill (Strathfinella Hill) a 2 min drive away which I'm on quite a bit anyway to walk the dog, so I'll be able to keep up some form of hill fitness while we're being asked to stay away

2 minute drive, that's in walking distance.

Not quite, the route there is on fairly busy backroads with limited verges to pull on to if a car happens to come by.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion