walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

Sgurr wrote:My sister in law's partner who lives in Preston drove to a quieter place to walk (she didn't say where). and was stopped by the police and told he would be fined if he did it again. He was also told he can't go fishing. There was only one other walker visible.

It does depend greatly upon where you live, I live in a quite a small town so I can easily walk from my front, or back door and manage a few miles without coming into contact with others, I can see the bigger the place the harder it will be. Going to the supermarket is another thing entirely, hard to think of a way around that however.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby hooter2014 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 am

Strange worrying times that is for sure wherever you sit on the walk/exercise debate.

Stay safe all.
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm

No DIY, cripes, but to be fair most accidents occur in the home :crazy: Whilst not advocating a hill walk, I personally see no problem with walks locally, even up a familiar prominence. The problem will lie in what others think. Especially folk who don't live on the doorstep to areas of wilderness, seeing others out, whilst being told to stay home.
It's almost discrimination, of the like seen in work, where some are to receive the 80% offering, but within the same team, some told to take sick (SSP at £90 per week), some told they must take unpaid leave, and another told to carry on work, non essential work and in a Hospital of all places !
You couldn't make it up !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby hooter2014 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Ironically there are a group of people that you can't get out of the house to do an honest days work normally; I'm sure for the next 4 days if the weather holds in the north east of England I'm going to have my hands full at work getting them back in!
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:26 pm

Fair enough that's clear cut but it has been getting interpreted differently by the authorities until now.

Sgurr wrote:My sister in law's partner who lives in Preston drove to a quieter place to walk (she didn't say where). and was stopped by the police and told he would be fined if he did it again. He was also told he can't go fishing. There was only one other walker visible.

I can understand why people have been driving because the guidelines haven't been clear up until now and even some authorities and news outlets have been saying it's ok.

I understand it's a difficult job for the police when they probably dont know the rules themselves. I witnessed an incident today where the police officer involved seemed to be loving these new found powers.

Hopefully things improve quickly and these powers can be removed sooner rather than later.

I guess its cycling and walking in isolation for me for a while. I took a longer route than normal on my cycle to work today.
As long as we stick to the guidelines (which seem more clear cut now) and stay safe whether cycling or walking and especially doing DIY we should manage to get through this. :D

Look forward to seeing more reports on here of folks walking and cycling responsibly

All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Hopefully things improve quickly and these powers can be removed sooner rather than later.

Over two thousand new cases today. I suspect the vast majority of those will be hospital admissions. I may be wrong, but other than HRH I don’t think there is much in the way of testing outside of NHS hospitals.

115 deaths today.

I sure hope this is near our peak, but only time and testing will tell.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby wee black dug » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:39 pm

Paul Webster wrote:https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2020-03-26/police-ban-driving-anywhere-to-walk-your-dog-or-exercise/

Fair enough, I suppose.

For the last 13 years I've been sticking the (assorted, and some now departed) mutts into the car at aboot 6:45am and driving the 10 minutes to the grounds/woods of Bothwell Castle to get them properly walked before heading to work. It's still deserted at that time in the morning, even this week, but I've honestly been conflicted about the car trip bit.

Decision now made - it's the less salubrious but equally mileage-friendly "Old Mine Nature Park" park 5 minutes road walk from the house for the foreseeable.

:D
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:56 pm

Apparently the UK cabinet office has told the Guardian that you can drive nearby to go for a walk (which should cover England). So still conflicting advice. We've tried to contact Police Scotland but others are saying they've been told its not a police decision / matter. Sorry, was hoping to bring clarity.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby wee black dug » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Apparently the UK cabinet office has told the Guardian that you can drive nearby to go for a walk (which should cover England). So still conflicting advice. We've tried to contact Police Scotland but others are saying they've been told its not a police decision / matter. Sorry, was hoping to bring clarity.

It's clarified it for me.

:wink:
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:18 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Apparently the UK cabinet office has told the Guardian that you can drive nearby to go for a walk (which should cover England). So still conflicting advice. We've tried to contact Police Scotland but others are saying they've been told its not a police decision / matter. Sorry, was hoping to bring clarity.

I think driving a few minutes to get to a place where you are more isolated can only be a good thing instead of more people out and about closer together especially in the city. I imagine the police would like clear cut rules which are easier to police.

Personally I have no need to drive anywhere but I understand why some would be better driving to a quiet area.

Hopefully common sense will prevail, the vast majority observe the lockdown rules and the police concentrate on breaking up groups and obvious breaches of the new laws.
Sunset tripper

Postby Scottk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 pm

We are lucky enough to live near a beach and coastal walks so I have managed to get out everyday. Unfortunately they closed the golf course which is a shame as for some people this is the only exercise they get but it does stop people driving to the club.
There is a small hill nearby and if I can do my weekly shop along with going round the hill, that is what I will do otherwise it is just staying local and working from home. My work comes under the essential work but we are on skeleton staff in the office in case anyone comes down with it. Very sensible as most of our work can be done remotely.
I really feel for the people who stay in cities and in flats and high rises-especially if they have young family. Very tough for them and makes me appreciate our freedom more.
Bit worrying that the percentage of males affected is so much higher than females!
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 pm

Scottk wrote:Bit worrying that the percentage of males affected is so much higher than females!

Some say it is because more men smoke, but only 16.5 as opposed to 13%, in the UK but maybe a bigger percentage HAVE smoked.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby geocaching » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:25 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Scottk wrote:Bit worrying that the percentage of males affected is so much higher than females!

Some say it is because more men smoke, but only 16.5 as opposed to 13%, in the UK but maybe a bigger percentage HAVE smoked.

Personally this is getting ridiculous. More men smoking ect ect. Statistics show over many years the female of the species have a longer lifespan.

Can anyone point me to the unfortunate fatalities that have not had other underlying conditions? That is the problem! But the media seem to ignore facts
geocaching
Stravaiging

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:52 am

I do feel there is an element of London-centric rulings taking place (happens a great deal in NHS directives) so what works for the South East surely does not apply to the same degree in rural Northumberland/Scotland/Wales etc etc one size does not fit all.....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion