walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hiya!

Hiya!

Postby drawthehighlands » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi everyone :) I've been using walkhighlands to plan routes for ages now but I'm going to start a new project, inspired by a friend on Instagram – drawing them! As of today, there are 280 days left this year and there are 282 Munros – annoyingly close! But I'm sure I'll have time to do more than one a day, this year of all years and of couse, some are part of the same range anyway. I'd like to draw them roughly as though I was climbing them, as in, south to north using a route that makes some sort of geographical sense. I was going to use the SMC Hillwalker's Guide to work this out but I've got the 1995 edition which lists 277 hills, not so accurate these days as there have been some additions and demotions since then. Anyway, I'll try to work it out using some combination of what I can find, the walkhighlands map and what makes sense to me personally. So! Here goes! Starting with, of course, Ben Lomond! :D

Hope everyone is keeping well and we're all back out on those hills soon

Sarah
drawthehighlands
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   

Re: Hiya!

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:59 pm

An excellent project, please do share the results!

Butterfield's The High Mountains had arguably better photos in it than the SMC Munro guide, though not sure how easy it is to find these days. Its what inspired me into hillwalking in the Highlands.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Hiya!

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:51 pm

drawthehighlands wrote:Hi everyone :) I've been using walkhighlands to plan routes for ages now but I'm going to start a new project, inspired by a friend on Instagram – drawing them! As of today, there are 280 days left this year and there are 282 Munros – annoyingly close! But I'm sure I'll have time to do more than one a day, this year of all years and of couse, some are part of the same range anyway. I'd like to draw them roughly as though I was climbing them, as in, south to north using a route that makes some sort of geographical sense. I was going to use the SMC Hillwalker's Guide to work this out but I've got the 1995 edition which lists 277 hills, not so accurate these days as there have been some additions and demotions since then. Anyway, I'll try to work it out using some combination of what I can find, the walkhighlands map and what makes sense to me personally. So! Here goes! Starting with, of course, Ben Lomond! :D

Hope everyone is keeping well and we're all back out on those hills soon

Sarah

This is a brilliant idea!

Here's one of my drawings, one of the Munros I have not yet climbed, but one of the finest hills in Scotland I think - Sgurr Alasdair.

tim

IMG_8975.JPG
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...