walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:09 pm

PS I know the plague was a bacteria based disease but antibiotics can only do so much
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby wee black dug » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:12 pm

As mentioned earlier by Paul, there is Cabinet Office advice but the up to date version...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-people-with-animals

...doesn't specifically address the "driving to a quieter area" issue.

What it does say is: "You may leave your house to exercise once a day and you should combine this with walking your dog. In doing so, it is important that you minimise the time spent outside of the home..."

Factoring that into the consideration of what a pomplete crick I'd feel if I crashed during the 10 minute drive to my preferred dug walking destination, I'm sticking with my decision to do the whole process on foot.

:wink:
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Culardoch wrote:Just wondering. I have a dog. It needs walking. Won't pee or whatever in the back garden & I don't fancy a trashed house so walking we have to go.

Usually meet quite a lot of people but they are mostly keeping the required distance from one another. It is a town environment and you cannot legislate for the odd bod who doesn't understand or doesn't care about distancing.

So is it better to drive twelve miles to a forest where we might meet one person in say ten visits. I know and understand the "requirement" to not drive but I would suggest that for me it is a better alternative and it is less likely that I will get the dreaded virus or indeed infect anyone else. Incidentally it isn't a hill environment but the usual broad forest road.

What think you?

Mate, I can't find a way to say this without being harsh so I'll just come out with it...

Is the advice drive twelve miles to a forest where you might meet one person in say ten visits?

Or

Is the advice stay at home?

I'm all for armchair debating on the merits of each so long as we both know and accept that the advice is stay home and exercise from your front door and that is what we must do, whether we agree with it or not.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby kmai1961 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:24 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
Culardoch wrote:Therein lies a problem. Just who defines "local". Is it plod who might be in a bad mood? Is it Nippy Nicola who might be in a bad mood? Is it the judge when I'm brought before the beak?

Incidentally I should have added that my suggested trip to the forest was on say two days of the week. The rest of the time I'd just have to take my chances. :shock:

I think the best bet is to take the walk from your front door early or late to reduce chances of encountering others.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I've taken to having my daily walk -- from my house -- very early in the morning, and funny that, I'm tending to not see anyone.

It seems to me that if you have to ask "but can I not do ....<whatever>?" -- then it's probably not ok. Whatever you think about the current government, they're -- rightly so -- just a tad bit more concerned about vulnerable people getting food and support, and supporting the NHS and the self-employed (and all of us, really) than whether or not it's "fair" for you to be allowed to flex the rules, given whatever your "special" situation is.

And while we're at it, let's give the police a break. They were doing more with less before all this happened. They, like the NHS, are stretched thin, worried about themselves and their families, and still going to work every day, dealing with situations and rules that are changing daily -- that, in normal times would take weeks or months (or years) to implement cautiously to ensure that they're not stepping on anyone's toes or democratic freedoms. While they're out there telling people to go home, it means less policing of broken-into care homes, or closed pubs or restaurants, or the geniuses who are spending this time figuring out new scams and how to use this horrible situation to their advantage.

Whew. I'm kinda glad to get that off my chest. We're all worried, we're all scared, and we're all feeling the pressure of being constrained. I find myself moved to tears more than once a day, sometimes by something completely innocuous, sometimes by being terrified by the uncertainty of it all. But at the same time, I'm finding much greater joy in daft little things: A hot shower. A warm home. Food -- maybe not all of the things I'm used to having, but enough to keep me from being hungry. Finding a secret supply of eggs at the newsagent. Some days, a cracking sunrise. Daffodils. Owls. There are a lot of people offering coping strategies out there, and it might sound a bit twee to say "every day, write down three things that you're grateful for." Try it, it just might work.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:Very sadly a lot of people are sick and also there are a lot of deaths from this virus but....imagine if it had been a variant of the pandemic of the Black Death/Plague which killed millions of people in an age where people didn't even travel far.......stay at home? Ive now signed up to the stay at home position totally but will venture out for essentials

(Incidentally, I see off licences are exempt from closures - essential?!)

Most off licences sell more than just booze, and I also can't see how attempting to reduce availability of alcohol is going to help people from sticking to the rules, far from it.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Culardoch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Do you agree it's okay for, say, 100 other people living in your town to do the same? What about 500? 1,000?

Do you agree that it's somewhat (extremely) unlikely that 1,000 or even 100 persona are going to immediately rush off to the forest bearing mind that most of the 1,000 don't even know that the forest exists. Be realistic.

In times of the Black Death people took to the countryside to avoid it. They were wrong though. Doubt if the present population of the UK are galloping off but there's always some that think it's the thing to do. Can't say that I'm in that clan but I am suggesting that the occasional trip is beneficial for me, the dog and those intent on not keeping their distance. In other words it might be for the good of the country that I do it. (Might!) :twisted:
Culardoch

Postby Culardoch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:12 pm

Just to add that the last few mornings I've been out at six a.m. This morning I met:

Two unrelated people not distancing. Three seperate dog walkers keeping the proper distance. Two joggers chatting as they passed me. Don't know if they were related! One dog person in the near distance chucking a ball around for the pooch. All it needed was a partridge in a pear tree. :crazy: :crazy:
Culardoch

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:30 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:
Is the advice drive twelve miles to a forest where you might meet one person in say ten visits?

Or

I'm all for armchair debating on the merits of each so long as we both know and accept that the advice is stay home and exercise from your front door and that is what we must do, whether we agree with it or not.

The advice is unclear - see below

Paul Webster wrote:Apparently the UK cabinet office has told the Guardian that you can drive nearby to go for a walk (which should cover England). So still conflicting advice. We've tried to contact Police Scotland but others are saying they've been told its not a police decision / matter. Sorry, was hoping to bring clarity.

I personally can go walking or cycling safely from home and wont be driving anywhere and I think there is no need for the majority of people to do so. Common sense must prevail and the situation should be policed sensibly.

Does any one else find it a bit ironic that the two people who have been telling us what we must do to avoid the virus and save the country, have been unable to do it themselves. :shock:
Their condition is apparently mild, like most cases, and hopefully they get well soon and show the nation it's not all doom and gloom.
Sunset tripper

Postby Culardoch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:54 pm

Just to throw another log on the fire may I refer you to: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52062209

Especially: "While the new advice does go further, it does not explicitly define what counts as "local", and whether or not people can use cars."

So some of youse yins might have to reconsider your comments on stay at home or else! :wink:
Culardoch

Postby Jorja the Dug » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Culardoch wrote:Just to throw another log on the fire may I refer you to: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52062209

Especially: "While the new advice does go further, it does not explicitly define what counts as "local", and whether or not people can use cars."

So some of youse yins might have to reconsider your comments on stay at home or else! :wink:

Which is why "Stay at home" is easy to understand. Unless you want to start working out ways to get round it.
Jorja the Dug
Mountaineer

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 pm

Culardoch wrote:Therein lies a problem. Just who defines "local". Is it plod who might be in a bad mood? Is it Nippy Nicola who might be in a bad mood? Is it the judge when I'm brought before the beak?

Incidentally I should have added that my suggested trip to the forest was on say two days of the week. The rest of the time I'd just have to take my chances. :shock:

Local means to me you don't drive anywhere to then walk your dogs,open the front door and walk local
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby davekeiller » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:17 pm

They're closing the car parks anyway, so it will be difficult to find a safe parking spot in many areas.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby MusicalHiker » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:00 pm

We have been walking from the front door most days, along the Caledonian Canal or the Great Glen Way, and I'm so grateful to have those on the doorstep - but how frustrating when the spring is here not to be able to go and climb something! However, there was a golden eagle around here today (yes, not a buzzard) and I saw a crested tit yesterday, and I also went for a mad dash through the woods on my bike and got covered in mud. It's great to get out once a day but apart from that we are staying in, and hoping this doesn't go on for too many weeks. Will plan some great hikes when it's all over!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:27 am

Sunset tripper wrote:
RyanfaeScotland wrote:

Or

The advice is unclear - see below

Paul Webster wrote:Apparently the UK cabinet office has told the Guardian that you can drive nearby to go for a walk (which should cover England). So still conflicting advice. We've tried to contact Police Scotland but others are saying they've been told its not a police decision / matter. Sorry, was hoping to bring clarity.

THE ADVICE IS NOT UNCLEAR.

PAUL WEBSTER (God bless his soul and thank him for this forum) IS NOT THE AUTHORITY ON THIS.

STAY AT HOME - https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Sunset tripper wrote:I personally can go walking or cycling safely from home and wont be driving anywhere and I think there is no need for the majority of people to do so. Common sense must prevail and the situation should be policed sensibly.

Does any one else find it a bit ironic that the two people who have been telling us what we must do to avoid the virus and save the country, have been unable to do it themselves. :shock:
Their condition is apparently mild, like most cases, and hopefully they get well soon and show the nation it's not all doom and gloom.

NO! The two people that have caught it are in a hugely at risk role as mother-fudging rulers of the country! There is no irony! You and me as plebo-de-maximo should be able to do much better than them by sticking to the mother-fudging guidelines!
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion