walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby Culardoch » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am

On this mornings early ramble I noted that the ball chucker was already in the park having driven there from God knows where! Ah don’t you just love the slavish obedience to the “rules”. :clap: :clap:
PLUS
The shop car park was nearly full including a guy with two kids who sneezed all over the car park. Didn’t sneeze into a tissue or his elbow.
PLUS
Three people queuing up at the cash machine. Not distancing. :shock:

So no preaching to me please. :D :D :?
Culardoch

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:10 am

Ryan, I'm absolutely not trying to be an authority on this, I've been trying to avoid giving an opinion at all. What I've been doing is watching the official briefings - both UK and Scotland - and then dashing upstairs to put on the website exactly what has been said - several times a day up until the current advice from Monday night, which hasn't really changed since. You've posted 'Stay at Home' and UK gov advice. The same words are at the top of the page across Walkhighlands, and if you click on it you get the official Scottish advice.

I'm doing my exercise walks from home. But then I'm lucky in where I live, very rural. Even then, there are more folk out walking than I've seen before - most people from the nearby village didn't used to go out for daily walk from home. I'm feeling the solidarity with them - whilst keeping at safe distance.

What is very clear is that people are not allowed to travel to a different area to take exercise - it must be as local as possible. I've tried to get a clarification on whether you can drive a short distance to get somewhere less busy to do your daily exercise, which some say is important for them given their home location.

I can see that most people have a definite opinion on this - one way or the other. I've had an opinion too but the fact is the advice doesn't say. I've even got a copy of the statutory instrument that was passed on Thursday from Andy Wightman - but it doesn't add anything.

We have to each do what we think is right within the rules. I've no time for people who think they can break or avoid the rules. But I think for the time being we will also need to accept other people making their own reasonable interpretation that makes sense for their location, even if we don't agree.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby china88 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:24 am

Paul this link below may help to clarify...many thanks for all your outstanding notes and advice on the site.....my wife currently doing her ward round has also said thank you

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52062209

Nicola Sturgeon has also emailed this morning indicating;

'I know many of you will be struggling with being cooped up in the house. The weekend is usually a time we all look forward to getting out and about.

But please not this weekend. Lives depend on us all staying at home.

We all need to stick with this.'
china88
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:33 am

china88, I agree it's mostly very clear.

The bit people are arguing about is this bit:
I've tried to get a clarification on whether you can drive a short distance to get somewhere less busy to do your daily exercise, which some say is important for them given their home location.

There isn't an official answer to that - not in the new info - though there are plenty of opinions. If there is a definite answer at some point then we will post it. In the meantime I just want to encourage people to be kind and respectful to those with a different opinion to themselves on that one point.

Thanks for your comments, and your wife is a hero.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Backpacker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 am

I've looking for a bit of clarification on this myself to see if I can take a short drive (about 2 or 3 miles) to avoid the narrow back roads with no verges where I stay and avoid the (granted there should be less) cars that do travel at a fair bit of speed along them.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby AHillTooFar » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:33 am

I don't need any clarification personally. Stay away from others.

Stay at home just sends out completely the wrong message personally. People are repeating it like a mantra and if there is one thing I hate, it is people saying something without understanding why.

Of course isolating from others will work as it will not allow the virus to spread as easily but it is not the act of remaining in your home that does it, it is the being apart from others and object that others have come into contact with that does it.

I have to go to the shops for food which is a high risk action; going somewhere where there is a low population density is not. I have not commented in this thread because it will lead nowhere but...we need to avoid being dogmatic about these things.

Just because some vague rule says something is okay, does not necessarily mean it is in fact okay, and just because the same rule says something is not okay, does not mean it is. The reason behind the rule has to be distilled and applied to every situation. Unfortunately, as we have seen, some people cannot do that and the result is the blanket, apply to all rules we are left with.
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:
STAY AT HOME -
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

You're misunderstanding the information in the link Ryan.

Nowhere in the link provided does it say you cannot take your car a short distance. It's already been pointed out that the government has been pressed on this point.

It has certainly not been encouraged to drive to your exercise location but the government has so far refused to ban it, presumably because everyone's situation is different and they have decided in this case, one rule does not fit all - it may well come, in some parts of Italy you are not permitted to leave your property for exercise.
A member of my family is a frontline worker doing 12 hour + shifts. How do you feel about someone driving to her house on the odd occasion it is required to pick up her dogs and take them for a walk for 2 or 3 hours?

Common sense is the way forward, I will not be driving even to get to work, though some might argue driving is safer than cycling :shock:

As for our glorious leaders catching the virus. In the last week they were not social distancing even in front of the cameras - it was plain for all to see.

The government should be leading by example and then hopefully the message will be taken more seriously.
Sunset tripper

Postby Moriarty » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:29 pm

One option, extreme I know, is to read the guidance, interpret the guidance and then do what you think is right without posting about it on social media.

The people suffering most from social media ire and abuse are people who seem unable to manage that last step.

Seeking a consensus view as permission to do what you think is right always carries the hazard that others may not agree.

Personally I'm just exercising from the house even though my risk assessment of a short drive to exercise elsewhere suggests that this would not appreciably add to my, or others' risk.
Moriarty

Postby apollo0815 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:26 pm

As an encouragement from Germany: After a few days, rules might be obeyed more closely.
Was the same over here, at first a lot of people did not take it very seriously, but over time, it "sinks" in.
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 pm

Had a few sherries last night folks (note the time on my post, 3:27am!) and should have reached for the power button as soon as I found myself reaching for the CAPS LOCK! :oops:

Feeling more level headed again now so will try address comments, however it looks like our views are too far apart to reconcile.

Culardoch - Just because other people aren't sticking to the rules doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Paul Webster - Wasn't trying to imply you were declaring yourself an authority on this. I just trying to say to stick to the official sources of information. But given the comment quoted was just meant as an example of where people feel this information is unclear my response doesn't really make sense. Blaming that one on the beer.

Backpacker - I'd say yes, that falls into the remit of 'necessary.' Of course this is just my opinion but I would doubt anyone feels you should be walking into oncoming traffic to get your exercise.

AHillTooFar - I have some other thoughts on that but I'll save them for their own post a little later.

Sunset tripper - I don't think I'm misunderstanding it, I think I'm just trying a rather extreme view of it and what is and isn't 'unnecessary travel'. Backpacker there has a fairly clear example of why travelling for exercise is necessary for him. I would have thought the issue some people have raised about it being busy can be avoided without travel by going out at a different time when it is less busy. Of course I don't know the exact details of each situation but again I'd be surprised if anyone's local area had every daylight hour rammed with people.

As for the dog, I'd be happier if someone else took him in for a bit, perhaps the person who is regularly travelling to take him for the walk. Again, without knowing the specifics I can't give exact advice but if there is truly no other way to handle it other than someone travelling to do it then that falls into 'necessary' for me; dogs have to be walked and your family member needs our support.

Moriarty - Yup, that's a big part of it as well.

apollo0815 - As with all of this time will tell my friend, time will tell.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:19 pm

I tired myself out today playing 4 rounds of golf.....on the Wii Fit, which we dug out of a cupboard. Apart from that I dug the garden and painted the shed. Always plenty of ways to keep fit. "Local" exercise places are overrun with other people, not a risk I'm prepared to take.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:33 am

Border Reiver wrote:I tired myself out today playing 4 rounds of golf.....on the Wii Fit, which we dug out of a cupboard. Apart from that I dug the garden and painted the shed. Always plenty of ways to keep fit. "Local" exercise places are overrun with other people, not a risk I'm prepared to take.

I remember putting my back out playing that many years back :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby madprof » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:10 am

I feel so sorry for those people in places where they cannot get out of the house without being close to other members of the public. It is foreseeable that there will soon be guidance to say "no car use to get exercise". There is no law that will work for everyone.

Love the tips on how to exercise while keeping social distancing. I am going to try doing some circuits at home on a video link with the rest of my rowing squad. Also am going to cycle earlier to avoid people. And if total lockdown happens then I have a turbo trainer for the bike and some videos to watch of highland walks.

Take care everyone
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby StevieC » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but Scotland's Chief Medical Officer has been quoted as saying that it's acceptable to drive "short distances" for the purposes of exercise, while also emphasising the need to stay as close to home as possible.

As for what constitutes a "short distance"...no doubt the authorities will clarify this once they've worked out how long is a piece of string...
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby al78 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:20 pm

This is why the rules are becoming more stringent and enforcing is going up:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-police-karaoke-party-lockdown-155617425.html

It is cockwombles like this that ultimately dump consequences on everyone.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion