walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Wellies on Munros?

Wellies on Munros?

Postby thespiritofsimon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:50 pm

I love my wellies (Bekina Agrilite). They're super light-weight, strong, insulated and grippy as you like. I've done much walking in them but I'm new to (and in love with) the big hills and mountains of Scotland so I'm after a voice of experience. Can I hike Munros in wellies? Am I crazy to even ask? :) Thanks.
thespiritofsimon
Hill Bagger

Re: Wellies on Munros?

Postby CharlesT » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 am

thespiritofsimon wrote:I love my wellies (Bekina Agrilite). They're super light-weight, strong, insulated and grippy as you like. I've done much walking in them but I'm new to (and in love with) the big hills and mountains of Scotland so I'm after a voice of experience. Can I hike Munros in wellies? Am I crazy to even ask? :) Thanks.

Appropriate attire for Fionn Bheinn perhaps, but I would like to see a video of you negotiating the bad step on Am Basteir in wellies. 😄
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:06 am

thespiritofsimon wrote:I love my wellies (Bekina Agrilite). They're super light-weight, strong, insulated and grippy as you like. I've done much walking in them but I'm new to (and in love with) the big hills and mountains of Scotland so I'm after a voice of experience. Can I hike Munros in wellies? Am I crazy to even ask? :) Thanks.

I know Scandinavians who do a lot of hill walking in their wellies. Except theirs are a bit more sophisticated, and often have proper mountain soles/mid-soles and some lacing. And most of them are crazy :lol: .
I do a lot of winter nature walks in wellies, over my local marshes, but the walking is gentle and flat. Though they fit me well, I would not go into the hills in them, for two main reasons;

1. They are not particularly supportive of the ankles, despite the height.
2. They do not hold my foot in position perfectly, as they can't be laced tighter around it. Footwear for the hills must grip your foot so it does not move at all. This is particularly important at the heel, but also in terms of toes sliding to the end. Heel lift will cause blisters, and this is likely to occur when climbing hills. Going down hill may see the toes bashing against the end, and you can't lace the boot tighter to stop either happening.

There are a few other reasons, including sweatiness over a long day, "clunkiness" on scrambly bits. The brand you use appears to have good tread patterns, but many only have grips that work in one direction and can slip sideways surprisingly easily.

If you want to try it, go up a more modest hill and see how you get on.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am

Not completely crazy for the grassier hills: give them a try. If I recall correctly there was a brief time (in the 80s?) when low-cut Scandinavian wellies called Bogtrotters (modern version is https://www.nokianfootwear.com/product/trimmi/ ) were being touted as the next great piece of gear for the Scottish hills. I think Hamish Brown was a fan, but they never caught on.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby thespiritofsimon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:48 pm

Thank you jmarkb, Mal and CharlesT - I value your judgements. So it's not totally mad then. :) I will explore this notion by starting small and working my way up. Fionn Bheinn sounds like a worthwhile trek for a clear day.
thespiritofsimon
Hill Bagger

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 am

Haven't tried them myself but these might be a good compromise:

https://thedrybootcompany.com/product/harris-dry-boot/
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby John Doh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:36 am

When I was on Mull last year and British Airways had lost my luggage at Heathrow as always, I bought some Dunlop Wellies for 20 quid in Tobermory instead of trekking shoes. For a tour on Lunga they were perfect and all other tourists with their trekking shoes were jealous. I bet I was the only guy on the island with dry feet. Sadly I then forgot them at Glengorm castle...
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby thespiritofsimon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Interesting Harris boots. Make sense. There's never been a time that I have regretted choosing my wellies over my walking boots...yet. :) I will share my findings on bigger treks. Just to be clear, my wellies are not heavy, loose fiting things. They're polyurethane and built for farmers, fishermen etc. Cheap too.
thespiritofsimon
Hill Bagger

Postby geocaching » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:44 pm

jmarkb wrote:Not completely crazy for the grassier hills: give them a try. If I recall correctly there was a brief time (in the 80s?) when low-cut Scandinavian wellies called Bogtrotters (modern version is https://www.nokianfootwear.com/product/trimmi/ ) were being touted as the next great piece of gear for the Scottish hills. I think Hamish Brown was a fan, but they never caught on.

Bog trotters! That brings back memories :lol:
As have all other innovative footwear since Even the forerunner to running trainers. Forgot their name but for a few years the *bees knees*
geocaching
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:11 am

A good padded knee-length thick sock should help immobilise the limb in the welly; I once hiked miles in the Galloway Hills in thigh-length rubber fishermen's waders but then I was huking up to Loch Girvan Eye for some trout fishing. It was a gruelling few miles over boggy peat and tussock grass. Hiking boots would have been lighter but would have required intense concentration to avoid a bootfull of gunk. I also used suede desert boots known as Gobis; those really needed a lot of concentration, I had to hop from tussock to tussock and rock to rock for hours.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby thespiritofsimon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:It was a gruelling few miles over boggy peat and tussock grass. Hiking boots would have been lighter but would have required intense concentration to avoid a bootfull of gunk. I also used suede desert boots known as Gobis; those really needed a lot of concentration, I had to hop from tussock to tussock and rock to rock for hours.

Sounds like the Dead Marshes - Sméagol would do well here. A good inspiration I feel. :) Thanks for your story.
thespiritofsimon
Hill Bagger

Postby Coop » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:29 pm

When I finally get to go up Am unpronouncable name, Wellies will be coming with me :D
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gld73 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:17 pm

I can't recall doing a munro in wellies, but I've certainly done some boggy pathless marilyns and grahams in them (and at least 1 corbett - Ben Hee). In the right terrain and conditions, wellies are brilliant!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby john.malley » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Another vote for the nokian bogtrotters with which I have travelled many a fell and hill .. comfy as a slipper and hold your foot as firmly as a comfy boot also. Having a low cut means also they ventilate well (and ard light )so you rarely end up with sweaty feet. Ordinarily I tend to wear studded fell shoes but when I fancy dry feet, on with the trotters!
john.malley
Stravaiging

Munros:182   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:214   

Postby LinziC91 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm

I done my first munro, Ben Chonzie, in my wellies and an older guy acting like he was the Munro expert was mocking me as we started the climb saying I would never make it and was crazy.

I made it and my feet were fine! If your used to wearing them I don’t see why not. I wore my Aigles every day as a dog walker at the time.
LinziC91

Munros:3   Corbetts:2

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk