walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scald Law before the ban!

Scald Law before the ban!

Postby McMole » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Scald Law

Date walked: 29/03/2020

Time taken: 1.6 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Scald Law route s.jpg
After watching a government spokesman on the TV telling me it was okay to drive a short distance to take my daily exercise I did just that, Twenty five minutes later parked with three other vehicles at a layby on the A702 I started up the path to Scald Law. I met one walker on his way down on a parallel route and we exchanged greetings at a distance of ten to fifteen metres. As the gradient steepened I noticed another walker several hundred metres behind me. Nearing the top several red grouse scurried about through the heather all at a safe distance :) .
P1040179 b s.JPG
Maintaining a 5m separation
I started in bright sunshine and as I climbed met a chill wind that didn't encourage a stop at the trig point.
P1040180 s.JPG
South Black Hill from Scald Law
Instead I continued on to the ring cairn on South Black Hill where I stopped for a snack and a drink of water.
P1040182 s.JPG
Scald Law from South Black Hill
P1040181 s.JPG
The Kips with East Cairn Hill in the distance
Looking back I could see a couple of walkers reach the trig point and then retreat. In the other direction another two reached the top of West Kip. So no difficulty in maintaining my distance from them.
P1040185.JPG
Looking down the east ridge of South Black HIll
From the ring cairn I took the path down the east ridge and then followed a track to Silverburn Quarry then a combination of ATV track and sheep paths back to my uphill route and so to the car.
P1040186 s.JPG
Silverburn Quarry
Once home I later heard that driving to go for walks was now being frowned upon. I am now exploring my local landscape for routes, though most paths are narrower than 2m so more difficult to maintain the required separation..
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland