walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunset from Carn Chuinneag

Sunset from Carn Chuinneag

Postby Ranger » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Route description: Càrn Chuinneag, Strath Carron, Ardgay

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Chuinneag

Date walked: 19/03/2020

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 780m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

P1020443.JPG
Looking to Ben Wyvis from the summit. Time around 6pm.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An overnight stay for a job at Culbo in the Black Isle offered the chance of a flying trip into the mountains. With the Coronvirus pandemic dominating the headlines, little did I know a nationwide lock-down would effectively close the hills for exploration only a few days later. I departed Deeside on a fine Thursday morning, leaving behind my wife home-schooling the kids, the previous day being marked by the announcement of all schools closing. My "office" for the day offered a tantalising view beyond the Firth of Cromarty to Ben Wyvis, plastered white after a snowy March had rescued a mild winter.

P1020380 - Copy.JPG
View across to Ben Wyvis from my "office" for the morning.

At 3.30 pm I decided enough work for the day, packed up the van, and set off in the direction of Wyvis. With sunset at 6.30 pm, 2 hours daylight would have been pushing my luck so I diverted my attention to Carn Chuinneag. The Hill of the Churn was a twin-topped Corbett I’d often noticed prominent in views across the Moray Firth from Lossiemouth.

I took the road from Alness over the hills to Ardgay, turning off along the attractive Strathcarron, before parking up in sight of the bridge over the River Alladale. Just before 4.30pm, I jumped on the bike and headed southwards, passing some interesting buildings that comprise Glencalvie Lodge. Hamish Brown mentions in Climbing The Corbetts how the ordinary people of Glencalvie were treated appallingly during the clearances of 1845, the evictees scratching messages onto the windows of near-by Croick Church that remain to this day.

P1020382.JPG
Approaching Carn Chuinneag from the north along the glen.

The 3 mile cycle along the gravel track – bemusingly littered with potatoes in places – was straightforward and pleasant alongside the Water of Glencalvie, the pools and riffles glinting where they caught the evening sunshine. The domed west-top of Carn Chuinneag loomed ahead of me, the summit snows pleasingly sunlit. My approach road served a large residence called Diebidale, occupying a striking position on a prominence above the glen.

P1020383.JPG
My route followed the steep nose in the centre of the picture up to the west top. The true summit is hidden to the left.

P1020384.JPG

P1020385.JPG
Looking back into the glen along the approach track.

3 miles cycling had taken me direct to the foot of the hill, and a direct assault of the nose of A’Chioch – a modest ridge in comparison to some of its namesakes - now stood in front me. A thin ribbon of cloud muted the evening sunshine but the skies overhead were clear blue. When the gradient eased I moved from heather and moss onto a clear stalker’s path, but boulder fields offered a firmer footing than the snow-filled track. After filming two ptarmigan trotting across the hill, I kicked my boot soles into icy snow to reach the west top with the sun on my back at 6pm.

P1020387.JPG
At the top of the steep nose before the final summit slopes of the west top

P1020389.JPG
Looking westwards along Glen Diebidale

P1020395.JPG

P1020401.JPG

P1020414.JPG

It would have been a fine place to dwell and enjoy the setting sun, but the principal summit lay half a mile to the east. I dropped into the shade to gallop across a snowfield and was delighted to reach the cairn and trig point in time to enjoy the last of the diminishing sunshine. The views to the pink-tinted, snow-covered whaleback ridges of Ben Wyvis were undoubtedly the star attraction.

P1020418.JPG
Looking to the true summit of Carn Chuinneag from the west top.

P1020434.JPG
Looking back to the west top.

P1020451.JPG

With fingers freezing from operating my camera in the bitter summit breeze, I set off homewards just before the sun dipped below the peaks of the Beinn Dearg range. The snow was firm but still allowed a rapid descent onto the mossy heather below, and in only 24 minutes I was back at the bike.

P1020449.JPG

P1020462.JPG
The sun setting over the Beinn Dearg range

It would soon be 7pm and I was eager my cycling descent wouldn't be slowed by the light of a head torch, so I wasted no time flying down the glen in the twilight. Deer feeding on the potatoes along the track – I knew there must have been an explanation – dashed off in all directions and a herd of sheep were startled as I burst through an open gate. 14 minutes cycling at a 13 mph average – top speed 25 mph – and I was back at the van. An hour’s drive took me to Inverness and my accommodation for the night at the Inshes Retail Park Premier Inn. A good meal was enjoyed at the Brewers Fayre, albeit in a peculiar atmosphere given it was closing indefinitely the following day, due of course to the lengthening shadow cast by the Coronavirus.

P1020470.JPG
Pausing on the flying cycle down the glen for a last photo at around 7pm

P1020465.JPG
Last edited by Ranger on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Sunset from Carn Chuinneag

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:36 pm

That brought back happy memories of climbing it in more normal times but I think you need to amend your stats at the start. Distance 5km and time 2.5 hours? :eh:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby cantabrigian » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:06 pm

The walk date is wrong as well.

Nice walk though - I did it myself a few years ago, later in the spring (without the aid of a bike): there were still a few patches of snow, and I saw a ptarmigan with its chick.
cantabrigian
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:47 pm

Now I've read it rather than just looked at the photos I realise you used a bike which explains the 2.5 hours. Fair enough. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Lovely! The memory of that view should help keep you going through this lock-down period!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Ranger » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:05 am

Mal Grey wrote:Lovely! The memory of that view should help keep you going through this lock-down period!

Thanks for the posters above noting the couple of errors - now corrected! Glad I sorted the date, didn't want to be on the post-lockdown naughty step :shock:

Happily I was up at 5am the next morning to squeeze in another walk up Ben Wyvis, in even better weather, and I haven't even started writing that one up yet! No point rushing... :roll: :lol:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland