walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby Jockstar » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:48 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 14/08/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I was going to see Dougie Maclean in Edinburgh I didn't wan't to travel too far and so chose Ben Chonzie as my next
walk. Didn't know what to expect as the walking public on the forum suggested that Ben Chonzie was not the most favourite Monroe. So i decided not to do the recommended walk and instead started ata Loch Turret reservior and
set off along the east side on a beautiful morning. I think I took ( by accident !) one of the best photos ever capturing the reflection of the view onto the Loch.

P8140004.JPG
Glen turret reservoir.

Walking along the edge of the loch found a few friends

P8140016.JPG
my new(t) friend

At the end of the path headed north east across some boggy land and to a quite steep climb towards Glen Almond. There were a pair of eagles above the corry which just added to the nature trail. Also hares were scooting about wondering who this was spoiling their leisurely morning. Once round the crag heading South and another steep climb as I headed towards Ben Chonzie. As I did it started to cloud over and that was the sun gone for the rest of the day. On reaching the summit found a party of climbers who were staying at Comrie Croft for a 50th birthday bash. However with no invite forthcoming it was which way back to the car park at Glen Turret reservoir.

P8140029.JPG
Hurrah !!

i decided that i would go in a direct line to Carn Chois but this was not sa good idea as this was heavy going across thick heather, bogggy ground and peat bog. Still it could have been worse - was that a spot of rain I felt? - that was the downside and added another hour to the walk but the upside was coming across a pair of deer that looked just stunning.

P8140039.JPG
The beautiful pair of deer I met on the way to Carn Chois

So after the deer headed on to Carn Chois and had reached the trig point before started a steep descent towards the Dam.

P8140043.JPG
At Carn Chois and now ready for home

So what did i think of Ben Chonzie? Having not done the recommended route I can't compare. Going to Carn Chois from Ben Chonzie was tough but then I wouldn't have come across the deer. Visually Ben Chonzie doesn't look the best monroe
and from the south looks really boring. But I enjoyed the walk and all that I saw and then went onto Edinburgh for a stirring rendition of Caledonia. So all in all a good day.
Attachments
P8140016.JPG
Painted Lady
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby Penguin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:55 am

Nice report and pictures, but I agree; that's a great picture of the reservoir. :thumbup:

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Taraloo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Wow! what a crackin photo Jockstar. Nice report. :D
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby malky_c » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Good move - this is a much more varied and better route than the Glen Lednock one. Some nice photos there 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby walk aboot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Wow, that is a great photo 8)

Did you see any hares? Ben Chonzie has loads of them.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby MarkD » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi Jock

great pics for sure and very atmospheric....but

At Carn Chois and now ready for home
P8140043.JPG (72.26 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Is that an antenna sticking out from your head? and did it work....lol

Nice walk all the same.
MarkD
Ambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland