walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Packable 2nd backpack for 'from basecamp' trekking

Packable 2nd backpack for 'from basecamp' trekking

Postby Lewton » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:13 pm

Hi.
I'm on the lookout for a PACKABLE/FOLDABLE lightweight 30 to 35 L capacity backpack that I can pack as very small as possible inside my main 80 litre backpack, when I'm not using it for 2 to 3 day overnight mountain hikes in northern Norway. A return visit.
I say 30 to 35 L, but if anyone thinks that's overkill, please say. I'm purposely overestimating size needed, I think.
The overnight hikes will involve taking around 7 to 9 KG of gear (solo tunnel tent at 1Kg, sleeping pad at 300g, bivy bag, camera kit at 3Kg, some clothing plus food etc.).
Does anyone have any recommendations on suitable backpacks please?
*They need to fold to as small a size as possible to take up little room in my main pack and be light (sub-Kg or much less).
Thanks
Lewton
Backpacker

Re: Packable 2nd backpack for 'from basecamp' trekking

Postby Lewton » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:24 pm

Sorry, edit . .

Hi.
I'm on the lookout for a PACKABLE/FOLDABLE lightweight 30 to 35 L capacity backpack that I can pack as very small as possible inside my main 80 litre backpack, when I'm not using it for 2 to 3 day overnight mountain hikes in northern Norway. A return visit. Last time, I had to always lug around my full gear and that was useless for mountain trails.
I say 30 to 35 L, but if anyone thinks that's overkill, please say. I'm purposely overestimating size needed, I think.
The overnight hikes will involve taking around 7 to 9 KG of gear (solo tunnel tent at 1Kg, sleeping pad at 300g, bivy bag, camera kit at 3Kg, some clothing plus food etc.).
Does anyone have any recommendations on suitable backpacks please?
*They need to fold to as small a size as possible to take up little room in my main pack and be light (sub-Kg or much less).
Thanks
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:12 pm

You probably want to look at mountain marathon / adventure racing backpacks which are very light, like https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/packs/backpacks/laser-35-rucksack/ or https://theomm.com/product/classic-32/
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Lewton » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:27 pm

I'll take a look. Thanks. Doesn't say how small they compact to though when packed. I can ask them.
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Lewton » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 pm

I'd welcome any other recommendations please. Thanks.
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby rgf101 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 am

There are detachable daypack backpacks, like these, but I can't see anything at the sizes you're after. To be honest, if I had 30-35L to carry, I'd just take the 80L bag half-empty. I don't see how you get a 35L pack both compressible enough to pack, and with the support to be comfortable for a day on the hills.

Looks like 'stuff pack' might be the term to look for - ie, here. But from the look of it, you might as well rope a Tesco's bag for life to your back.
rgf101

Postby prog99 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:28 am

These are great - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/cliff-20-intense-burgundy-id_8573790.html
We use them a lot and are very tough with more capacity than the 20l suggests.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Lewton » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks both. I'll take a look.
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Scottk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Gossamer Gear do the vagabond packable. Not sure if it’s big enough for you but has shoulder strap pockets, 2 water bottle pockets and a large stretchy outer pocket. Weight is about 320g and supposed to be ok for weights up to 7 kg.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Lewton » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:56 pm

Scottk wrote:Gossamer Gear do the vagabond packable. Not sure if it’s big enough for you but has shoulder strap pockets, 2 water bottle pockets and a large stretchy outer pocket. Weight is about 320g and supposed to be ok for weights up to 7 kg.

Thanks 👍
Lewton
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk