walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - by Kayak ;)

Ben Lomond - by Kayak ;)

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 11/02/2018

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of adventure:

Ben Lomond by Kayak

Gathering dust, my kayak had been in hiding for way too long, so we came up with an adventure to get the big orange piece of plastic back active again! We had talked about this for some time and when some beautiful calm weather arrived, it seemed appropriate to give this a bash
The hills were going to be busy and Ben Lomond would certainly see lots of footfall today but our route was “around the back” and as such we didn’t expect to see many other enthusiasts until later in the day. Setting off from Tarbet, the weather was looking ok – unfortunately the Loch wasn’t flat calm but was calm enough and we enjoyed the paddle across to Cailness with the sun occasionally showing itself. The rain also made an appearance and this certainly wasn’t forecast, however it was a fleeting shower and as we scoured the eastern shores for a place to leave our transport it fizzled out and the breeze died with it.

After finding a little bay to leave the boats, we quickly changed and set about heading up the hillside. Initially we had planned to follow the track up from Cailness and cut across the face of Cruinn a’ Bheinn, but as we crossed the loch we decided to take a more direct route and follow the southern shoulder that runs beside the Cailness burn. Gaitered up, we broke trail through the dead bracken (note – nothing really to recommend this route and in the summer it may be a nightmare with ferns (and ticks!!)). The best thing about his route was the views behind us. The Arrochar Alps towered above the loch and looked fine with their winter coat on!

ImageArrochar Alps by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Higher up and we soon got a view of our intended destination, the sun was shining now and Ben Lomond looked great. The bracken was now a memory, however it was now replaced by a mixture of knee deep heather and when that didn’t hinder our progress the bog certainly did . Progress was tiresome and to say we were happy to reach the snow line would have been an understatement. Our packs were heavy as we had all our tools and rope in case we found a route in the corrie, it was slow and a lot of jelly babies were required !

Crossing the northern spur of Ben Lomond and the views was fantastic. A little cloud sat on the summit and we could see the shafts of light through the cloud were people were standing on the top , probably looking at their own Broken Spectres. The snow was ok and as the terrain steepened we got the crampons and axes out. The next section was fun, but care was required as we were now on steep ground, making our way to meet the Ptarmigan Ridge nearer the summit.

ImagePtarmigan Ridge by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The sun and a grand vista welcomed our arrival on the ridge and the loch sparkled in the sun to the south. The path had been trampled to a solid neve and the going was great. Through the pearly gates and a final few scrambly moves saw us reach the crowds on the summit. Not a breath of wind and everyone was having a grand time. A short descent down the Ptarmigan ridge then f llowed and we found a lunch spot with a view. Neither of us wished to leave our picnic spot in a hurry as we knew what lay between us and the boats – lots of rough ground!!

Anyway heads down and off we tramped, back down the northern spur and re-entering the bog ! However as we descended by the Cailness Burn, we could see the Loch now resembled a mirror and we were relishing the kayak back across. An extremely fine paddle home and a fine way to end a grand adventure 

ImageTarbet across Loch Lomond by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageThe Cobbler by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageLoch Lomond after a fine paddle by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Ben Lomond - by Kayak ;)

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:59 pm

At last, somebody else squeezing some paddling into a report!

Nice to see a different approach to a well-known hill, and you certainly got some top conditions.

Superb images and nice little video. As always! :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby malky_c » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:28 pm

That looked like a fantastic day out 8) . Must try some more paddling (and perhaps get a proper kayak, rather than my death-on-a-stick inflatable one :lol: ). Great to have most of Ben Lomond to yourself on such a nice day :) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm

Mal Grey wrote:At last, somebody else squeezing some paddling into a report!

Nice to see a different approach to a well-known hill, and you certainly got some top conditions.

Superb images and nice little video. As always! :clap:

Thanks Mal - nothing beats a kayak on a mirror calm loch wth snow clad hills all around :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm

malky_c wrote:That looked like a fantastic day out 8) . Must try some more paddling (and perhaps get a proper kayak, rather than my death-on-a-stick inflatable one :lol: ). Great to have most of Ben Lomond to yourself on such a nice day :) .

It was a grand day (not the crossing the bog bit though!!)
wilkiemurray

Postby Andymac75 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm

Nice .nice to see the Clan seat looking so majestic.

Allegedly once the sheep rustling capital of Scotland.

Enjoyed that :clap:
Andymac75

Postby WillH5080 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:44 am

All your post is awersome, but the last photo with kayak is really great!)
WillH5080
Mountaineer

Postby WillH5080 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:17 am

Hello! It's me again. Which kayak did you used to use in this trip? I want to buy one of them but i didn't kayaking before.
WillH5080
Mountaineer

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:48 am

WillH5080 wrote:Hello! It's me again. Which kayak did you used to use in this trip? I want to buy one of them but i didn't kayaking before.

Hi William - its called a scupper pro kayak - we got oursyear ago so not too sure if these specific ones are still available - lots on the markey though, depends if you want a sit ontop and what length etc etc . I am no expert but I can recommend te scupper pro :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland