walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The ridge of multiple knolls

The ridge of multiple knolls

Postby TheTortoise » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:47 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Druim Fada (Loch Hourn)

Date walked: 20/03/2020

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At last, after lots of precipitation, the forecast was good for the west of Scotland. Following advice from earlier in the month, we decided to camp wild in a remote place for a few days in our campervan, climbing remote hills and not interacting with any locals or shops or fuel stations (or wifi!). On returning, we found that this sort of thing had become frowned upon. And now everywhere is off limits - so we are pleased to have had such a super day to remember over the coming months.
We set off on a calm sunny but cold morning, along the track from Corran, up Glen Arnisdale.
IMG_20200320_094935.jpg
Looking back to Knoydart
We crossed the Eigin Allt burn on the track then made our way upwards and across onto the ridge.
IMG_20200320_111405.jpg
Looking up Glen Arnisdale with lochans
All was well for a while, we went round or up the rocky bits.
BeforeTheIce.jpg
A little scrambling
IMG_20200320_124158.jpg
We are gaining quite some height
Higher up, we may have made some poor choices of route when parts of the steep grassy or rocky bits turned out to be covered in ice. It was a relief to find that the slope eased off as we encountered more extensive snow higher up, and we veered round to the summit. Amazing views in all directions.
IMG_20200320_133852.jpg
Out towards Skye
IMG_20200320_133900.jpg
To Ladhar Bheinn
IMG_20200320_141257.jpg
To Sgurr nan Eugallt
Druim Fada looks like a ridge from afar, but as you head west, it appears more as a series of slightly disconnected knolls, several needing a little thought as to the best way up or down. We were definitely avoiding north-facing rocky sections after our main ascent problems.
FrozenLake.jpg
On the way to Sgurr Mor
IMG_20200320_164131.jpg
Looking back along the ridge
Panorama.jpg
What a panorama!
Finally we got to the end of the ridge and decided to head straight down to Corran.
IMG_20200320_170124.jpg
Starting the real descent
We meandered our way down avoiding the steepest sections, and now instead of icy rocks had to contend with steep waterlogged grassy slopes - more care needed. Nearing Corran, we thought all our problems were over - but ended up on very steep ground in the trees, and had to backtrack a bit before finding an easier route rightwards down to fields, which currently have damaged fences making for easy access.
EndOfDay2.jpg
The end of the day - just above the 'tree cliff'
This was a great day out with an interesting ridge and exceptional views, though I was quite tired by the end. Recommended for your bucket list!
Here is our very approximate route

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

Re: The ridge of multiple knolls

Postby jacob » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm

Love the panorama shot, with the impressive white summits in the background.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby TheTortoise » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 am

jacob wrote:Love the panorama shot, with the impressive white summits in the background.

Yes, that picture was my husband's, so I told him that it had been admired. High lochans in the foreground are his speciality! I try to use my own photos in my trip reports but sometimes his are better and have to be included.
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:09 am

We did this ridge two years ago, the same route. It's an absolute stunner. I'd go as far to say it is the best of Arnisdale hills. Amazing views and so many opportunities for easy scrambling. Hard to believe it's just a Graham...
The summit pano is something to treasure, especially now in the times of lockdown. If you don't mind, this is my version from May 2018:
2018-06-10 druim fada 207.JPG
Looking west from the summit of Druim Fada, from Ladhar Bheinn to Beinn Sgritheall
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby TheTortoise » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:41 am

BlackPanther wrote:We did this ridge two years ago, the same route. It's an absolute stunner. I'd go as far to say it is the best of Arnisdale hills. Amazing views and so many opportunities for easy scrambling. Hard to believe it's just a Graham...
The summit pano is something to treasure, especially now in the times of lockdown. If you don't mind, this is my version from May 2018:
2018-06-10 druim fada 207.JPG

Yes, I had read your inspiring report before we went, thank you. I like your pano, looking out to sea with hills on both sides.

I usually scan the walkhighlands Graham reports to see if there are any suitable variants on the book routes. And usually there is a report from 'BP' - especially since many of the hills that are still on our list are in the Highlands. So once we are back on the hills we may be following your footsteps again.
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:13 pm

This looks excellent, and it must have felt great to find Scotland's last remaining glacier on the way to Sgurr Mor!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby TheTortoise » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Mal Grey wrote:This looks excellent, and it must have felt great to find Scotland's last remaining glacier on the way to Sgurr Mor!

I hadn't thought of that, but it does look a bit glacial. We were not tempted to walk on it though.
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Postby bigkeith » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:19 pm

Beautiful pics. What a place! This is an option for me this summer and your report is very helpful for planning - thanks.
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

Postby TheTortoise » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:37 pm

bigkeith wrote:Beautiful pics. What a place! This is an option for me this summer and your report is very helpful for planning - thanks.

Wishing you sunshine and a good breeze to keep the midgies away! .
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland