walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

The new Nordisk Telemark 2.2

The new Nordisk Telemark 2.2

Postby Lewton » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:48 am

Does anyone have any (pre-) opinions on this new 2-entrance version of 2020?
Have been considering the Telemark 2 LW as a lightweight short to medium excursion wild camping tent as an alternative to my tried and tested, excellent (but 2.4Kg), MacPac Minaret; Then this has appeared.
My only real concern is perhaps zipper waterproofness with it having an access on each side. However, as condensation is a serious issue in these tents, a flow-through double entrance design must surely alleviate this.
So, anyone have experience of the Telemark 1 and 2 please and, therefore, have an useful opinion to offer up?
Thanks
Lewton
Backpacker

Re: The new Nordisk Telemark 2.2

Postby Scottk » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 am

I have the telemark 1 and wish I had gone for the 2 as it is very small. Great for getting into a tight spot but really tight if you want to dress etc. Haven’t seen an updated one though.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Lewton » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:44 am

Scottk wrote:I have the telemark 1 and wish I had gone for the 2 as it is very small. Great for getting into a tight spot but really tight if you want to dress etc. Haven’t seen an updated one though.

Hi Scottk
It's on Nordisk's website plus a few others as coming out this month. I was just wondering what people, like yourself, think of the Telemark (solo trekking), especially with regards storm resistance and zipper strength and leakage perhaps.
Having a double doorway could be a decision-maker for me. My MacPac, in Norway, was outatanding, but this is much lighter, packing smaller. I also like the idea of the sliding vestibule for pack storage.
The double entrance is possibly Nordisk's response to the condensation problems?
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Scottk » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Zipper strength has been good so far. It stands up to stormy weather but tends to bend a lot so I have been woken up with the tent hitting my face. No leaks but the condensation is pretty bad but to be expected. For me, it’s a great small tent for a few nights away and if the weather looks to be bad, I take the scarp.
Scottk
Scrambler

Postby Lewton » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Thanks Scottk
That's good. I'm considering it as a 1 to 3 night shelter for when I head up mountain trails from my base in northern Norway. With the MacPac, I needed to take all my kit. With this I could leave unnecessary kit at base and if the weather's not too good, leave this at base and head up with the Minaret. I have Hunka bivvy bag as well for emergencies.
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby weebeastie » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:40 am

I have had a Telemark 2 LW for a few years and it’s been a great tent. For 1 person it has plenty of space. Also had 2 people in it and it’s been ok but we had to leave our rucksacks etc outside.

Condensation hasn’t been a major issue. Maybe a couple times on colder nights and was bad one night with 2 people in it on a cold high level camp.

Not had any leaks from the zip. It rained for about 24 hrs on Jura on one trip and got a few drops through the seams but I have since re-sealed it.

The guy lines means you can get the tent taut and doesn’t flap around too much in wind. Watch you don’t over tighten them though. Did this once and did get little split in the seam but it hasn’t got any worse since then.
weebeastie
Munro compleatist

Munros:135   Corbetts:16
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Lewton » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:07 am

That's good to know. Thanks weebeastie. Hopefully, the 2-door will help sortcondensation issues. I sleep very warm so I'm always happy to partially open flaps and I always carry a Tyvec gs with me. For what it's worth, Chris Townsend really likes it.
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Lewton » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:34 am

Scottk wrote:Zipper strength has been good so far. It stands up to stormy weather but tends to bend a lot so I have been woken up with the tent hitting my face. No leaks but the condensation is pretty bad but to be expected. For me, it’s a great small tent for a few nights away and if the weather looks to be bad, I take the scarp.

Hi ScottK
If you don't mind me asking what reasons do you have for not always taking the Scarp instead?
Does the Telemark have any advantages other than weight? I can see that thw Scarp 1 is 1.47 -ish Kg and around 5cm longer when packed. Otherwise, it seems a better tent (??).
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Scottk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:40 pm

It is a much smaller foorprint (easier to find a spot) and packs very small so I can take 30l bag for a weekend.
Scottk
Scrambler

Postby Lewton » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Scottk wrote:It is a much smaller foorprint (easier to find a spot) and packs very small so I can take 30l bag for a weekend.

Thanks ScottK 👍
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby RamblerJones104 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:07 pm

I have the original Nordisk Telemark II LW. Not the ULW as I find the extra cost to be not worth the reduction in weight (less than 100g). I find it to be a great tent for its weight and size. So roomy. All the gear can fit inside with me, with plenty of space to sleep, leaving the vestibule free to cook in. The curve of the hoop ensures that the fly is not close to any flame which can a problem with vestibules in some smaller tents. I particularly like the way in which you can increase/decrease the size of the inner/vestibule dependent upon requirements.

I have not had a problem with condensation. It may have gathered on the outer but none has made its way on to the inner. As for the benefits of the 2.2. I would only choose this new model for the benefit of being able to enter/exit the tent on a different side in the event that there was a change in wind direction. To that extent it is helpful. But considering that it doesn’t have two vestibules I don’t really see the benefit of two doors. This is really a 1+ tent, roomy for one person to have plenty of room, so it would be rare that you needed a second door to enable another person to enter/exit without waking or climbing over the other person. If this was a proper two person tent then I’d see it as a benefit as it would be used far more frequently.

If the two were equally priced I’d opt for the update, but otherwise and especially if there are any discounts on the standard model, then I’d opt for the Telemark II LW. I like some of the Terra Nova lightweight tents which are small, lightweight but freestanding, but they have the downside of being inner-pitch-first. So unless I needed the sturdiness of a Hilleberg Akto or Soulo etc for proper winter use, then the Telemark would be my year round tent for all but the worst British winter storms. It’ll cope with quite high winds, heavy rain and moderate snowfall at lower levels.
RamblerJones104
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk