walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby CharlesT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:37 pm

Sgurr wrote:Careful how you cycle. We got out our bikes for the first time in 4 years and husband is now in the "not the orthopaedic ward" of the local hospital with a broken hip and arm. One of the bits of "collateral damage" of the epidemic. We would otherwise have been walking sedately in Grasmere and bothered no one. Feel very shamefaced at bothering the NHS at this time.

Sorry to hear that, hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. Having recovered from my calf injury I am planning to go out for an easy ride tomorrow. Slightly nervous, as I don't wish to be accused of breaching the guidelines and, worse, fall off.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Culardoch » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Sgurr wrote:Careful how you cycle. We got out our bikes for the first time in 4 years and husband is now in the "not the orthopaedic ward" of the local hospital with a broken hip and arm. One of the bits of "collateral damage" of the epidemic. We would otherwise have been walking sedately in Grasmere and bothered no one. Feel very shamefaced at bothering the NHS at this time.

As a mountain biker I've reluctantly taken to the road so I had thought that I'd be safer until I saw this. Hope that he's OK & makes a full recovery.

THINKS: Maybe I'll go back to the tracks I know so well. If I fall off they should find my body before the next snow falls! :lol: :lol:
Culardoch

Postby madprof » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:55 pm

It is absolutely fine to go for a bike ride but yeah be careful. Cycling is safe for most people but just like walking it is your judgement call on conditions.

There is no government guidance on length of exercise and nothing in the law that sets a limit. So use your best judgement and I am sure everyone here will stay socially distanced at all times when out.

I am doing a "commute" to work every morning on the bike and will probably set up the turbo trainer for a cycle "home" afterwards as I find it difficult to just close the laptop and suddenly cook dinner and be "at home".
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:33 pm

madprof wrote:It is absolutely fine to go for a bike ride but yeah be careful. Cycling is safe for most people but just like walking it is your judgement call on conditions.

There is no government guidance on length of exercise and nothing in the law that sets a limit. So use your best judgement and I am sure everyone here will stay socially distanced at all times when out.

I am doing a "commute" to work every morning on the bike and will probably set up the turbo trainer for a cycle "home" afterwards as I find it difficult to just close the laptop and suddenly cook dinner and be "at home".

Most of my exercise is cycling to the allotment and working on it, but there is a nice little 5 mile circuit I can do very close to home, entirely on unclassified roads, which are very sparsely used at the moment.

Cycling on road may be safer now (although it always was safe) with fewer motor vehicles on the road, but on the other hand, if the roads are very quiet, those who are still driving might compensate for the lack of other traffic by paying less attention. I was coming back from my allotment yesterday when a woman crossed the road right in front of me forcing me to a halt, some people have dreadful spatial awareness, or just can't be bothered to pay attention.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Had you been walking in Grasmere, you might have sprained an ankle and required the services of the local health center (that happened to me once in the Lakes). There is risk everywhere, even staying at home is not risk free, all we can do is manage the risk.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Backpacker » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Has anyone actually defined how long this permitted exercise is supposed to be? MrsSanta mentions half an hour, I've seen others say one hour. Any government advice just seems to refer to a number of times you can take exercise, is once a day.

I only ask because I was recently taken to task via PM by someone for going out for 35 miles/2 hour bikes rides two or three times a week. Personally I see nothing wrong with this. It's only a couple of hours of a type of activity i am easily capable of, on the roads which are a maximum of 8 miles from my home. It's probably safer now to cycle now than ever, roads are noticeably much quieter.

I think this is quite symptomatic of the government's fear/inadequacy to make firm statements on anything. When BoJo finally announced a lockdown the other week, he made it pretty clear what the exceptions to staying at home were. But then virtually every job imaginable then became a key job, now we have Hancock saying you can actually drive a "Short" distance to go for a walk. One is almost tempted to think all this loose and non-enforced decision making (lol) is simply an attempt at herd immunity without having the stones to declare it as a policy.

As a final moan, if anything demonstrates how utterly crap society has become, it's a crisis like this. I've seen stories of foodbanks being broken into, foodbank trolleys in Tesco being rifled, folk bulk buying baby food and sticking it on ebay at 20x the price and social media has become a depressing mix of idiotic conspiracy theories, racism and self-appointed public health officials screaming blue murder at their neighbours for not following "guidelines". Yes, this can also bring out the good in people, but sadly it seems to bring out chronic attention-seekers to an all-too depressingly high degree.

PS, did some daftie actually demand WH be closed down? :shock: :lol:

I’ve been mostly good during the lockdown, working from home, not venturing out unless I have to. With exercise I have been driving a very short distance 5 miles max) to access some open space (despite being surrounded by fields, there’s no footpaths and I can walk around the village twice in half an hour). As it’s not been defined how much exercise I can have I’ve been out for a couple of hours after work and 4-5 hours at the weekend. So far where I choose to I’ve barely seen another soul. TBH the police probably have better things to do than worry about someone who’s driven within their postcode to get away from everyone else :lol: :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Tringa » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:19 am

It seems Stay at Home and the advice for people not to visit their holiday homes doesn't apply if you are Scotland's Chief Medical Officer -

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18359197.scotlands-chief-medical-officer-catherine-calderwood-spotted-flouting-coronavirus-lockdown-rules-visit-second-home/

Dave
Tringa

Postby benno » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:27 am

Coronavirus: Exercise out of the home 'could be banned' if people flout rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Glengavel » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:43 am

benno wrote:Coronavirus: Exercise out of the home 'could be banned' if people flout rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

So make more effort to penalise the rule-breakers. A blanket ban only harms the innocent, because the rule-breakers will break the rules regardless.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Old Bill » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:33 pm

alanlees wrote:For goodness sake stay at home - don't go into rural communities don#t go to the Highlands and take this site down!

Good grief - his second post on the forum and he's saying the site should be taken down! :roll:

Thank goodness for everyone else's common sense here.
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Backpacker » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:54 pm

Bit below is from a bbc article regarding exercise. It does also state that Michael Gove thinks that 30mins - 1 hour is appropriate but there’s no time limit written down anywhere that I’ve seen apart from an opinion.

Guidance to police says that the public shouldn't be sanctioned for "travelling a reasonable distance to exercise" - although no definition has been given
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Culardoch » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:05 pm

So as I understand it from Dr Calderwood (Scotland's chief medical officer) travelling by car and wandering around is OK just as long as you self distance :shock: :shock: and, of course, apologise for it if you're found out.

So no more telling me that I can't travel to the forest. I promise to self distance from any passing squirrel and apologise in advance. :twisted: :twisted: :thumbup:
Culardoch

Postby madprof » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:30 pm

Glengavel wrote:
benno wrote:Coronavirus: Exercise out of the home 'could be banned' if people flout rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

So make more effort to penalise the rule-breakers. A blanket ban only harms the innocent, because the rule-breakers will break the rules regardless.

Yes and no - it gives the police the ability to crackdown on these people much more easily. If you're out and you're not shopping/getting medical help then you're getting penalised.

From a purely pragmatic viewpoint it works quite well for the worst offenders but for those of us who really need to get out of the house, yeah it will suck.Doubly so when we've done our best to follow the rules.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Coronavirus: Exercise out of the home 'could be banned' if people flout rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

That sounds like an exercise in blaming the public for government failings.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Culardoch » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:04 pm

Culardoch wrote:So as I understand it from Dr Calderwood (Scotland's chief medical officer) travelling by car and wandering around is OK just as long as you self distance :shock: :shock: and, of course, apologise for it if you're found out.

So no more telling me that I can't travel to the forest. I promise to self distance from any passing squirrel and apologise in advance. :twisted: :twisted: :thumbup:

I see the light now. Tis better to lie than be found out. So I'm not going to the forest TWICE and it will never happen ever again. :silent: :silent: Even if it ever did. You can trust me :think:

In these extremely troubled times there are people that we rely on to tell us (hopefully) the truth. Seems that I might have been wrong in trusting anyone in authority. That's not political before anyone gets on their high horse. It's my view of those in high places who have seriously undermined my hope and understanding that we all might be in this together..
Culardoch

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion