walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby Sgurr » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:55 pm

Well, totally non-political, but there ARE people who recklessly broke their own rules, shook hands with CV patients and then caught it. So, we'd better stop shaking hands folk.....I've been looking up barge poles (as 'I wouldn't touch him with one') as I thought they might be a good measuring unit in these days, but alas, they are 8 metres long and far too heavy for OAPs to carry around.

At present, I can't even contact my friends on facebook, so might have to go back to old fashioned emailing and phoning. Just get a blank blue screen.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:52 pm

Can’t help thinking that perhaps the problem is shear arrogance and pig-headedness ‘we’ve had enough of experts’

So, we fund the WHO, we pay for their advice, only for our government to ignore it.

Others have, however, paid close attention to the advice of the WHO.

This is worth a read - https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europe/iceland-testing-coronavirus-intl/index.html
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby al78 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
Coronavirus: Exercise out of the home 'could be banned' if people flout rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

That sounds like an exercise in blaming the public for government failings.

Not at all, it is blaming over-entitled cockwombles for flouting a rule they find personally inconvenient which can have major externalised costs.

Much regulation that incites people to whinge about nanny state and restrictions on freedom can be traced back to the actions of cockwombles and externalised costs, unfortunately the UK is heavily populated with cockwombles. Perhaps if more people called out the cockwombles instead of moaning about the government reaction, there might be a bit less crapness in society.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:59 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:Can’t help thinking that perhaps the problem is shear arrogance and pig-headedness ‘we’ve had enough of experts’

Otherwise known as I don't like the truth, so I'll make up my own warm fluffy version of it which aligns with what I want to be true.
al78
Walker

Postby mash tun » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:03 pm

Sgurr wrote:I've been looking up barge poles (as 'I wouldn't touch him with one') as I thought they might be a good measuring unit in these days, but alas, they are 8 metres long and far too heavy for OAPs to carry around.

You might yet need to develop the muscles for that 8 metre long barge pole........

https://www.eenewseurope.com/news/high-speed-imaging-video-shows-how-far-covid-19-sneeze-reaches
mash tun

Postby CharlesT » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:21 pm

Barge poles are reputedly four metres long, not eight, but one of 6.1 metres is noted. Apparently there is no standard size. Hope that helps.😁
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
Can’t help thinking that perhaps the problem is shear arrogance and pig-headedness ‘we’ve had enough of experts’

Otherwise known as I don't like the truth, so I'll make up my own warm fluffy version of it which aligns with what I want to be true.

The truth is medical practitioners on the front line are dying for a lack of PPE. The truth is our testing regime is woefully inadequate. The truth is for decades the WHO has been telling us that a pandemic is a matter of when, not if.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mash tun » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:14 pm

CharlesT wrote:Barge poles are reputedly four metres long, not eight, but one of 6.1 metres is noted. Apparently there is no standard size. Hope that helps.😁

I'm sure Sgurr will have duly noted your comment :wink: :wink: :wink:

PS Do you perchance happen to be an acquaintance of Andrea Barham ? :wink: :wink: :wink:
mash tun

Postby CharlesT » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:20 am

mash tun wrote:
CharlesT wrote:Barge poles are reputedly four metres long, not eight, but one of 6.1 metres is noted. Apparently there is no standard size. Hope that helps.😁

PS Do you perchance happen to be an acquaintance of Andrea Barham ? :wink: :wink: :wink:

I try to be helpful at all times. :wink: :D
And I am honoured to be mentioned in same breath as the esteemed Ms Barham, but no. :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby hooter2014 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:25 am

Gareth Harper wrote:
Coronavirus: Exercise out of the home 'could be banned' if people flout rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

Setting aside my personal feelings on the subject, professionally speaking from the perspective of someone who has to attempt to "enforce" these and every rule we live by; I would suggest blaming the government for this is not the way to go. Society knows that murder, rape etc is wrong, do we blame BJ or NS every time that happens? I have no great feelings towards the Tory party or indeed any of the current political parties.

This particular legislation is a bit confusing to say the least, whilst you are advised to stay at home there are several "outs" that are without doubt being abused by many.

I can attest to the lack of PPE and agree that it is a disgrace that front line NHS staff appear not to be adequately protected or have been routinely tested as of yet.

So whilst I agree there have been/still are failings; for me peoples self entitlement and or arrogance is the main issue here. The virus doesn't distinguish between sex, age, race, religion, political feelings, sexual orientation, disability, etc. We as part of the society, can do our bit... by doing very little, which as part of the WH family I know is hard.

Stay safe all.
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47 pm

A carbon-fibre fishing rod makes a very light-weight measuring stick, also you can poke people in the eye with it if they get too close.

black-death-mask-480x512.jpg
My PPE for work
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:06 pm

mash tun wrote:

Yes, looked it up again.....it is 4 m. So used to doubling distances , as in walks you have to go THERE and BACK.

I know an Andrea, but have forgotten her married name. If it is the Andrea I think it is, she came rushing across and hugged husband while he desperately tried to remember her name, while thinking "How can I forget the name of someone who has been in and out of our house for so long". It was on this occasion (the 4th plinth). Please Paul, let me keep up this link to a rival establishment just this once. It's not really a hill.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5760&highlight=plinth+realsquiz

Just looked up Andrea Barham, and the answer is I don't think so.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby al78 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
Gareth Harper wrote:

The truth is medical practitioners on the front line are dying for a lack of PPE. The truth is our testing regime is woefully inadequate. The truth is for decades the WHO has been telling us that a pandemic is a matter of when, not if.

Ah, just like the worst consequences of climate change in a few decades, the warnings we get now from scientists being largely ignored at present. Welcome to the future.
al78
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Re fishing rods. When I came back from the beach after this morning's official walk, theses guys had established themselves fishing from the bridge. I wasn't sure that I was maintaining a 2 m distance, so took a gulp of air and RUSHED across

Now I come to look at the picture, they probably were 2 m away, but NOT the 8m of latest findings.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:50 pm

hooter2014 wrote:
Gareth Harper wrote:

Setting aside my personal feelings on the subject, professionally speaking from the perspective of someone who has to attempt to "enforce" these and every rule we live by; I would suggest blaming the government for this is not the way to go. Society knows that murder, rape etc is wrong, do we blame BJ or NS every time that happens? I have no great feelings towards the Tory party or indeed any of the current political parties.

This particular legislation is a bit confusing to say the least, whilst you are advised to stay at home there are several "outs" that are without doubt being abused by many.

I can attest to the lack of PPE and agree that it is a disgrace that front line NHS staff appear not to be adequately protected or have been routinely tested as of yet.

So whilst I agree there have been/still are failings; for me peoples self entitlement and or arrogance is the main issue here. The virus doesn't distinguish between sex, age, race, religion, political feelings, sexual orientation, disability, etc. We as part of the society, can do our bit... by doing very little, which as part of the WH family I know is hard.

Stay safe all.

Where I am I would say people have been very tolerant of the new laws and "advice" with most sticking to the rules. You will always get the few who break the law and that will not change. I dont understand a guy coming on the TV and telling me to social distance, stay at home, not spread or catch the virus when he did the exact opposite himself, and then threatening to turn the country into a police state. I've no problem with people making mistakes but they shouldn't then be brushing them under the carpet.
Leaders should lead by example and I dont think the people will accept being locked up completely for an unknown time.

I agree self entitlement and arrogance is an issue, but not from the vast majority of the ordinary citizens, who are going along with their freedom being taken away to try and save lives but they wont do it for ever, and they certainly wont do it year after year.

Let's hope it's all over soon and we all learn the lessons, so that next time life can go on because we are prepared for it.

Yes stay safe and wait for the hills if you can. :D
Sunset tripper

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion