walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coniston Old Man,Brim Fell and Dow Crag.

Coniston Old Man,Brim Fell and Dow Crag.

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:37 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brim Fell, Coniston Old Man, Dow Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Dow Crag, The Old Man of Coniston

Date walked: 19/08/2010

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having been in the Lakes for a few days I was itching to get into the hills and got the chance to try some of the Coniston Hills.My starting point was the car park on Walna Scar road.From there I walked past The Bell and going straight ahead where the paths meet to reach the Pudding Stone and Low Water Beck.I got up close to Low Water Beck and for a second contemplated scrambling up keeping close to the Beck to reach Low Water.After realising how slippery the rocks where I forgot about that idea and retraced my steps back to the path to head for Levers Water.

My objective was Brim Fell so again looked for another opportunity to have a bit of a scramble and climbed the many crags and gullies taking a direct route up Brim Fell from Levers Water via Raven Tor.This part was really hard going but fun and the different routes up here are endless.On reaching Brim Fells cairn I could see I had an easier time ahead to reach the summit of Coniston Old Man.The views down to Coniston from the Old Man where fantastic and over to Dow Crag which was next up, even better.From the Old Man I walked on the main path around to attack Dow Crag from the north.The views of Dow Crag where amazing and looked a bit intimidating.Looks can be deceiving though as its not bad at all apart from the summit which has some large drops nearby.
From Dow Crags summit views of my route down came into view which were Buck Pike and Brown Pike.The views heading down these are pleasant helped by the fact that there was no low cloud.On reaching the Walna Scar road i took a left turn to return to the car park.
2010_0818new0095.JPG
The Coniston Hills from the Walna Scar car park.

2010_0818new0096.JPG
The Bell

2010_0818new0099.JPG
The Pudding Stone and Low Water Beck.

2010_0818new0100.JPG
Low Water beck up close.

2010_0818new0102.JPG
Brim Fell from the Pudding Stone

2010_0818new0103.JPG
Coniston Old Man from the Pudding Stone.

2010_0818new0104.JPG
Levers Water

2010_0818new0106.JPG
Heading up Brim Fell a different way.

2010_0818new0112.JPG
Brim Fells summit cairn with Coniston Old Man beyond.

2010_0818new0115.JPG
Coniston Old Man

2010_0818new0119.JPG
Coniston Old Man summit.

2010_0818new0120.JPG
Old Man summit

2010_0818new0122.JPG
Dow Crag

2010_0818new0124.JPG
Dow Crag

2010_0818new0128.JPG
Nearly at Dow Crags summit,

2010_0818new0134.JPG
Goats Water from Dow Crag.

2010_0818new0133.JPG
Buck Pike from Dow Crag.

2010_0818new0132.JPG
Coniston Old Man from Dow Crag.

2010_0818new0138.JPG
Brown Pike and Blind Tarn from Buck Pike.

2010_0818new0141.JPG
On the Walna Scar Road.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2010_0818new0105.JPG
Raven Tor scramble to reach Brim Fell.

2010_0818new0107.JPG
Looking back from Raven Tor to Levers Water.

2010_0818new0109.JPG
View from Raven Tor to Brim Fell.Coniston Old Man is on the left.
Last edited by PauloUK77 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Coniston Old Man,Brim Fell and Dow Crag.

Postby mountain coward » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:05 pm

So you more or less went up Raven Tor to get to Brim Fell? I've been meaning to have a look at that for ages... I usually do Brim Fell Rake which is up the slight broken crag above the col between Raven Tor and Brim Fell but have never plucked up courage to go up Raven Tor...

Very brave driving up to the Walna Scar carpark - I never dare - I think that road is horrific! :o
mountain coward

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:28 pm

I drove up to the Walna Scar car park and couldn't believe how steep it was,my wife was worrying at this point because she was dropping me off and returning to Coniston to spend the day there with the kids.
Its not only how steep it is but how narrow with very limited passing places.
It is Raven Tor i scaled to get up Brim Fell,the route was interesting and quiet I found it really enjoyable.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:49 pm

I was supposed to drive up that road in my mother's camping van to pick her up when she went a bit lame but when I walked down it, I realised there was no way I was going to drive a big and lumbering Comma van up there! I always walk up and down it now. If there were more passing places it wouldn't be so bad...

This Raven Tor route... I need more detail... did you go to the right-hand side of the tor on the way up? How much actual scrambling did you have to do? Was it firm all the way or were there loose, scree bits? Is it pretty much rock bands with grass terraces in between (it looks a bit like that)? Was there much exposure?
mountain coward

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:11 pm

The Raven Tor route isn't as bad as may seem,on the photo in my report I went as direct as I could having a few scrambles on the way.These scrambles are not so bad because they are split and are like rocky bands with grass terraces in between.There are a few loose areas of scree but they held firm enough to hold my weight.
The exposure isn't such a problem because the rocks are split by terraces.I would challenge anyone to do this route return to the bottom and retrace their route exactly,the opportunities are infinate.You really can make this route as easy or as difficult as you like always not having to fully commit to a scramble and having escape routes.The views on this route down to Levers Water and over to Swirl How are fantastic and you won't bump into crowds.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Great - thanks for that! Might give that a try with Richard some day then... I've been trying to persuade him to go and do it on his own but sounds like I could have a look too...
mountain coward

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:17 pm

I will post some more pics in a while that I had taken whilst climbing Raven Crag.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Great! I'll look out for them :D
mountain coward

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:20 pm

I have posted some more pics for you MC hope they help give you a better indication of the terrain up there.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks - how did you find route-finding on it? Was it pretty much obvious where to get up it? Presumably everyone will take different routes so there won't be any kind of path?
mountain coward

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:38 pm

I just took my pick on what bits of rock to climb as I reached them,there where very faint paths that sheep have created moving around up there.I felt as though I was in an area that hardly gets touched by walkers/climbers,the looks I got from people taking a break at Levers Water was a picture as I started to ascend and the looks I got from the sheep even funnier. :lol:
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby icemandan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:28 am

My grandparents lived in Coniston. I remember the noise that my dad's Hillman minx made on the Walna Scar road. As kids we used to make a bit of money by opening the gate at the top for people. Brim Fell and the Old Man was my first real hillwalk at the age of 7. Happy days.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby mountain coward » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:59 am

Icemandan: LOL to the making money from opening the gate at the top of the road - we used to do something similar around here - a road bridge on the way into the village used to flood regularly and we used to put our wellies on and go and push all the cars through which didn't make it! :lol:

Paulo: I can imagine the sheep would be upset - they'd see it as their escape from all the tourists! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby fedupofuserids » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Fascinating area, used to do a a bit of caving (disused mine exploration) around here and Wetherlam and Tilberthwaite, when I was younger and had a narrower waist line!
fedupofuserids

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland