walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Well done to walkhighlander Kevin Woods

Well done to walkhighlander Kevin Woods

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Well done to Kevin who has become one of the few people to do all the munros in winter.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52155378
Sunset tripper

Re: Well done to walkhighlander Kevin Woods

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:20 pm

Aye, top achievement! :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby madprof » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:19 pm

Wow what a superb achievement!
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby dav2930 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Truly amazing!

He's some guy that Kevin Woods - right up there as a mountaineering film-maker. I remember watching a brilliant video about Dave McCleod's 24/8 challenge (climbing a V8 boulder problem, an 8a sport climb, an E8 trad climb, a grade XIII ice climb and finishing off with 8 Munros, all within 24 hrs), and noticing it was made by Kevin Woods - the very same Kevin Woods who posts on Walkhighlands!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Coop » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Fantastic achievement. Cap doffed to you Kevin :clap:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:39 pm

One of only three who have done this,both Martin Moran & Steve Perry are both now deseced,both in separate climbing accidents.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:18 pm

Brilliant achievement and his fourth round and only 29 years of age.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:52 pm

Kevin had already done a continuous round in summer a few years back posted on WH. 8)

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36433&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Sunset tripper

Postby Scraggygoat » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:28 pm

A huge effort in a very windy season, with deep snow later on.

From memory, I'm sure Dave Hewitt can provide more historical content;

Steve Perry completed self propelled (walking between the Munro groups) within Martins 'winter season' stipulation, using external help on the Cullins.

Will Copestake completed a winter round in 2015, which was a big snowy winter, again self propelled, and again availing himself of help on Skye, but didn't get round in Martins timeframe.

Martin coming completed within the time, and ?probably without help on the Ridge, using motorised transport between mountain groups.

Kevin has completed within the arbitrary winter timeframe using motorised transport, I don't know if he soloed the Cullin.

Didn't Chris Townsend attempt around that was interrupted by family bereavement ?

So for anyone driven a self propelled round without help on the Cullin awaits.....any takers?
Last edited by Scraggygoat on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scraggygoat

Postby Scraggygoat » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:30 pm

Wills round was by bicycle between groups
Scraggygoat

Postby Clach Liath » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:Wills round was by bicycle between groups

You are correct. But it was a discontinuous round, i.e. he broke off on one or more occasions due to other commitments. I met him on the South Glenshiel Ridge in the midst of his endeavour. He also did a round of the Corbetts most of which were over the Winter of 2016/17.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 am

I tip my hat to Kevin
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Dave Hewitt » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:From memory, I'm sure Dave Hewitt can provide more historical content

Not sure I can add much - I used to keep quite detailed records of continuous(ish) rounds, but in recent years have lost the thread somewhat. There's a bit of a trend - as ever with such things - to try and add some slight tweak and thus make one's effort more "pure" or whatever, but they're all amazing achievements however they're done.

Re the Martin Moran round, it was done with a vehicle in play which of course not only made the links between hill groups easier but also allowed him to switch to east or west on occasion to grab the better weather. A remarkable and pioneering achievement, whatever.

The 1974 summer effort by Hamish Brown (something of a forgotten figure these days but still around and well - I must reply to his most recent letter) is still probably the most notable simply because it was the first (Philip Tranter would likely have managed it earlier, had he lived - something I think Hamish himself has acknowledged). Plus it led to undoubtedly the best book on the subject. But Steve Perry's winter effort is arguably the greatest of all Munro-related achievements, and didn't get enough praise either at the time or - particularly - on his death.

Incidentally, of the fast summer rounds, for all that Stephen Pyke's effort was nine days faster than that by Charlie Campbell, the latter having swum the three watery bits remains as astonishing now as it was at the time.

Congratulations to Kevin Woods for the latest addition to the list.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:13 pm

Jeezo thanks all for the thoughts, I am very grateful.

Some thoughts on specifics, the Southern Highlands/Glen Coe (up to Loch Leven/Rannoch, 73 Munros) were 22 walking days. Plus a couple days off: one of those was a mental storm end of December. Mega lean conditions meant quick moving, but stormy as well - some walking at night to dodge weather fronts.

Everything else up to the Great Glen was 24 walking days, a combination of no-snow days then these heavy dumps, snow ploughing over the hills that'd melt straight back to bare. Really odd! If there had been any breaks in westerlies at this point it would have been a good time to go to the NW but there were no breaks, so I stayed East, then central, then ran out of east and ended up in Lochaber!

The day I crossed the Great Glen (Loch Lochy Munros) the weather just went ballistic and stayed thereafter. Having had a month and a half of storms since December, I'd been hopeful of some kind of break, but it changed to this persistent polar maritime. Combine that with moving in the NW hills, I lost a tonne of momentum. If the weather had given a couple breaks here and there I would have moved so much faster because you'd be able to get into the meat of the land then move back to Glen Shiel when things went to pot. The breaks just never came, so I chipped away against the coal face: the eight south of Loch Mullardoch took four walking days, though I've ran across these on an October afternoon a couple years ago.

While fitness helps resist bad weather, the NW became about getting anything done under the circumstances. With tonnes of bad weather and bad snow it meant routinely running out of safe travel choices, then down after one summit in a day. Very hard to do many summits like that in any meaningful way. I got a couple weather breaks right at the end for the long trips across Mullardoch, Monar and Fisherfield. A good reminder that the physical capacity was there for big stuff, and a reminder I'd not forgotten how to get across hills, but that I'd simply made conservative travel choices that meant I was still here, hadn't been injured, blown off, avalanches, etc... Hopefully doesn't sound too dramatic saying that, but some of it was one great minefield. If someone was a bit bolder they'd definitely cut a few days off, as I actively lost time avoiding taking some chances.

Biggest gains on any future winter round (in any style, but especially van) would be to have a normal winter of varying airmasses, probably get better at skiing, but massively full-time support. I spent as much time busy not on the hill with the other stuff, the shopping, cooking, cleaning, forecast watching, making plans to meet folk, cancelling because weather changed for tomorrow again, driving because weather's changed again. Etc.

Should also say I bloody loved it and just want to say a big thanks for the thoughts from everyone.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Regards the Cuillin, we soloed except the abseils, two pitches up the InPinn and a short pitch out the An Caisteal gap. Did a day from the InPinn to Sgurr nan Eag, a second day Gillean to Mhadaidh, then the following day back for Banachdaich & Ghreadaidh to complete.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion