walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glimpse of heaven - calm before the storm

Glimpse of heaven - calm before the storm

Postby Jaxter » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:40 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Feusaige, Càrn Breac

Date walked: 07/02/2020

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 16.04 km

Ascent: 1136m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the beginning of the February break – we’d driven up to Inverness the night before; the next morning Malky had to get up and go to work ( :lol: ) so I chucked my stuff in the car and drove out to Achnasheen. It was a beautiful morning, and although it was forecasted to be windy up high the sun was shining and I was thrilled to be out 8)

I left the car just past the end of Loch Sgamhain

I walked back along the road a short distance until I got to the break in the forest – looking straight up Beinn na Feusaige

Looking down towards Sgurr na Feartaig

At the fire break there was a convenient gate; it was locked but without my rucksack on I was able to fit in between the rungs and I was on my way 8)

The ground was a bit rough but easy enough alongside the fence. It was steep but I gained height quickly which got me out of the shade and into the sunshine 8)

Looking down to Carn Breac and the ridge that completes the horseshoe

The road towards Strathcarron

Looking across Loch Sgamhain to Moruisk

As I left the trees behind I had to climb a really awkward deer fence and then it was a straight smash upwards to the summit plateau, which gave me some really fantastic views towards the Torridon biggies :D

Looking down Loch Maree – Meall a’ Ghiubhais on the left, Slioch on the right

Slioch and the Fisherfield hills

I wasn’t sure which end of the ridge was the summit so had a wander down to the other end just in case

It was worth the effort because the views down towards Loch Gowan were awesome 8)

Loch Maree and Slioch

Stunning views to Liathach, Beinn Eighe & Meall a’ Ghiubhais

It was pretty blowy but I figured it was worth getting the big lens out to get a shot of An Teallach 8)

Fisherfield Hills

Slioch

Beinn Eighe

Liathach

Loch Maree and the Fisherfield hills

Moruisg and the Monar hills

Summit of Beinn na Feusaige

It was time to get going – it was chilly and the other hill was looking an awfy long way away :shock: As I walked back across the long summit I could see down to Loch Carron and the southern tip of Skye

Sun hitting Slioch

Looking back

I followed the fence down towards Loch Meallan Mhic Iamhair which gave me some more fabulous views towards Torridon

The loch and the ridge up to Carn Breac

Amazing Beinn Eighe

Liathach & Beinn Eighe

As I approached the loch the ground got more and more boggy and there were big human-sized tussocks to climb up and over :roll:

Looking across the loch to the Monar hills

The first hurdle was Meallan Mhic Iamhair, which was a steep rugged b*stard but the views sort of made up for the awkwardness :wink:

Looking back to Beinn na Feusaige

Liathach & Sgurr Dubh

Couldn’t get enough of this view!

Finally at the top of Meallan Mhic Iamhair I could now see ahead to Carn Breac

Loch Clair and the Fannaichs

The Fisherfield hills with Slioch centre stage

Lots of deer around, but kind of hard to see in the photo :lol:

The sun was hitting Torridon again 8)

Getting from Meallan Mhic Iamhair involved sliding down and then back up some steep ground (although when I looked back it turned out that there was an easier route :roll: ) and it was a relatively easy stroll onwards

Looking down the glen towards Loch Sgamhain

As I climbed up this section I was hoping to find the path I was planning to descend later on, but I didn’t notice any sign of it – a problem for later on then :lol:

Loch na Moine Moire & Loch an Fhiarlaid with Slioch & the Fisherfield hills behind

As I continued the Achnashellach munros started to appear….

It was easy walking from here and I was nearly at the summit

There were some really cool rocks on the last section

The sun came out and I could see across the wee lochans to Slioch and the fisherfield

A completely different landscape to Beinn na Feusaige as I approached the summit of Carn Breac

Sgurr na Ceannaichean with the Sgurrs behind

Now at the summit the views were sensational but it was insanely windy. It was definitely the finer viewpoint although both hills were pretty good 8) Fortunately the humungous cairn gave shelter from the wind and I was able to sit and enjoy my lunch and a flask of tea whilst soaking up the views 8)

Looking down Loch Coulin towards Torridon

Fuar Tholl, Sgorr Ruadh & Beinn Liath Mor

Loch Carron with Southern Skye hills behind

Slioch and the Fisherfield

Kintail hills (left) and Sgritheall/Knoydart (right)

Liathach

Slioch

Beinn Tarsuinn & Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Ladhar Bheinn & Beinn Sgritheall

The Sgurrs

Think this might be the red cuillin

Sun on the Fisherfield

I could have sat there for hours, but figured it was a bit of a trek to get back. I couldn’t be bothered with trying to find the path into the corrie so figured I’d complete the horseshoe and drop off the end somehow (I’d worry about that bit later!)

Heading off there were a couple more sort-of-summits which I visited – looking back to the huge summit cairn

Looking straight down the glen (Sgurr a’ Mhuillin in the distance)

The ground got a bit soggy as I dropped, but fortunately it was only in the dip – looking back to Carn Breac as it drops steeply into the glen

It was a really nice ridge and I was really glad that I’d decided to stay high. It was windy but not as bad as at the summit (with the exception of this gully where it turned into a wind tunnel and sent me scurrying after my hat :lol: )

Loch Carron

Loch Carron zoomed – the early evening colours were awesome

A last glimpse of Slioch and the Fisherfield

Looking back

The ground was pretty good underfoot – there were traces of path here and there, and not too much bog. After a while it started dropping more steeply downhill and I could see Loch Sgamhain ahead

Looking back

As I started to drop down the final section I could see that the forest had been largely cleared (I hadn’t thought to check before I started the walk :lol: ) which made the descent a lot easier and gave the deer more hillside to play with

Beinn na Feusaige – where it all began

The evening light was stunning 8)

I picked up an ATV track which led to the fence at a convenient gate – which was locked :roll: Once over the gate the boggy track led me to another gate and then I was on the old section of road. Nice to finally have solid ground under my feet :lol:

It was an easy walk along the old road back to my car where the sun was just dipping behind the hill. A wonderful day out on some wonderfully quiet hills – sadly it was prelude to a disappointing week off in terms of weather, with the notable exception of a day on Skye…. :wink:

Achnasheen grahams.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Glimpse of heaven - calm before the storm

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:07 pm

Nice one Jaxter. That looked like a crackin' day :D - I cant remember any decent days in February but plenty now. :(
Sunset tripper

Postby dav2930 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:27 pm

Truly a heavenly vision from our confinement in these troubled times! Lots of fabulous pics there, but the compositional perfection of 'Looking down Loch Coulin towards Torridon' took my breath away. That has to be one of the finest views in the UK, comparable with the view of Loch Coruisk and the Cuillin from Sgurr na Stri?

At present Torridon seems like a wonderous world beyond our reach, all the more poignantly magical for that. Looking at those images of the sunlit heights, a hopeful thought came to me. When the day comes that we can pick up our trekking poles again and head up the mountain tracks, we might, just might, be walking into a better world.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:09 pm

It is a fantastic circuit indeed, we did it twice already, and would happily repeat it again! That panorama is something special, certainly in the fantastic conditions you had. We always seemed to pick a windy day for these two :lol:

It's frustrating to be so close to the hills yet so far. I see the bulky shape of Ben Wyvis when doing my daily Boris walk. Feels like I can almost touch it :( :(
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:00 pm

Ah, so that's what those hills look like. I've driven past them so many times, and even mentioned them to the lads this year when we were staying at Gerry's, but the clag was too low and wind too strong and wet to motivate ourselves to do rounded humps without views!

Great report, as always, some great cloud shapes going on. I wonder if your "red cuillin" are actually the Sgurr na Coinnich group of hills just above Kyleakin? The angle of the view looks about right (yes I'm sad enough to draw a line on the map to try and work it out, that's what lock-down distracting has come to!)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:30 pm

dav2930 wrote:Truly a heavenly vision from our confinement in these troubled times! Lots of fabulous pics there, but the compositional perfection of 'Looking down Loch Coulin towards Torridon' took my breath away. That has to be one of the finest views in the UK, comparable with the view of Loch Coruisk and the Cuillin from Sgurr na Stri?

At present Torridon seems like a wonderous world beyond our reach, all the more poignantly magical for that. Looking at those images of the sunlit heights, a hopeful thought came to me. When the day comes that we can pick up our trekking poles again and head up the mountain tracks, we might, just might, be walking into a better world.

Says it all - nothing to add! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:21 pm

Great report - looks much nicer than I would have guessed from what you can see of these hills from the road - and the views... :D
On my list for the next time I'm up that way!

Mal Grey wrote:I wonder if your "red cuillin" are actually the Sgurr na Coinnich group of hills just above Kyleakin?

It's the Rum Cuillin! The Sgurr na Coinnich group is out of shot to the left - both are visible in the "Loch Carron with Southern Skye hills behind" shot.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:18 pm

jmarkb wrote:It's the Rum Cuillin! The Sgurr na Coinnich group is out of shot to the left - both are visible in the "Loch Carron with Southern Skye hills behind" shot.

So it is. Funnily enough, I thought that on my first glance, but convinced myself they were too close and the angle was wrong.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Nice one Jaxter. That looked like a crackin' day :D - I cant remember any decent days in February but plenty now. :(

There weren't many, but I'd happily take the crap weather now if I was able to go out in it :lol:

dav2930 wrote:Truly a heavenly vision from our confinement in these troubled times! Lots of fabulous pics there, but the compositional perfection of 'Looking down Loch Coulin towards Torridon' took my breath away. That has to be one of the finest views in the UK, comparable with the view of Loch Coruisk and the Cuillin from Sgurr na Stri?

Thanks - yes it reminded me of Sgurr na stri/coruisk too! It does feel an awfy long way away - we will appreciate it all the more when we can get back there I guess :roll:

BlackPanther wrote:It is a fantastic circuit indeed, we did it twice already, and would happily repeat it again! That panorama is something special, certainly in the fantastic conditions you had. We always seemed to pick a windy day for these two :lol:

It's frustrating to be so close to the hills yet so far. I see the bulky shape of Ben Wyvis when doing my daily Boris walk. Feels like I can almost touch it :( :(

Aye stuck in my bed in Glasgow they feel even further away, although at least I don't have the frustration of being able to see them from my window :crazy:

jmarkb wrote:Great report - looks much nicer than I would have guessed from what you can see of these hills from the road - and the views... :D
On my list for the next time I'm up that way!

Mal Grey wrote:I wonder if your "red cuillin" are actually the Sgurr na Coinnich group of hills just above Kyleakin?

It's the Rum Cuillin! The Sgurr na Coinnich group is out of shot to the left - both are visible in the "Loch Carron with Southern Skye hills behind" shot.

Doh :lol: I spent ages drawing lines across maps, then malky and I had an argument about it. And we were still wrong :lol: I suppose I didn't think of islands because they seemed so far away!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Lovely - another route to add to the list that starts ... When lockdown is over ... Stunning photos.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland