walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lockdown wanderings - Braid Hills and Blackford Hill

Lockdown wanderings - Braid Hills and Blackford Hill

Postby jmarkb » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:52 pm

Date walked: 11/04/2020

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 300m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We are fortunate, as city dwellers, to have access to a decent slice of countryside on the south side of town. This area is criss-crossed by a dense network of paths, which makes for a lot of possible variations on a theme, especially while the golf courses are not in use.

To begin, we head south along Mayfield Road and the start of Liberton Brae, then turn off past the Montessori School to get into the fields, where a path leads up to the 15th-century Liberton Tower.

Blackford Hill and the Royal Observatory

Across the fields to Liberton Tower

A closer view of Liberton Tower

The views really open out here:

Craigmillar Castle, East Lothian coast and North Berwick Law

King's Buildings campus, Salisbury Crags and Arthur's seat

Edinburgh Castle, Bishop Hill and West Lomond

Next the Tower there is a field with an interesting collection of animals, including some inquisitive goats:

and some more aloof llamas:

Now we cross Braid Hills Drive and take the track alongside the Golf Course, heading for Mortonhall Caravan site.

Meadowhead Farm

East Lothian

Few-flowered garlic (or Few-flowered Leek) - a pretty but invasive species that carpets a lot of the woodland hereabouts

Tuberous comfrey (I think)

The caravan site is in the former grounds of the very grand Mortonhall House. We follow the drive and then turn right onto a path across the fields, and then path and tracks through the woods on the edge of Fairmilehead and Buckstone.

Mortonhall House

Next we cross Mortonhall golf course, where a heron is making short work of the frog population in the Elf Loch.

Superb display of gorse on the south side of Braid Hills

A short climb leads to the trig point on Braid Hills, the best viewpoint on the walk.

Caerketton and Allermuir Hills

Across the city and the forth to the Lomond Hills. If you look very closely, you can pick out Beinn a' Ghlo on the far left horizon, behind the wind turbines.

Arthur's Seat

Ochils, Forth Bridges and Corstorphine Hill

Now we cross Braid Hills golf course, and the derelict Hermitage course, before dropping down into Blackford Glen.

Braid Burn in Blackford Glen

A short steep climb takes us up through the woods and out onto Blackford Hill.

A Peacock butterfly on the path

Blackford Hill view:

And finally we head down past the Observatory, under the riduculous archway and through the back streets to home.

Nearly home:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Lockdown wanderings - Braid Hills and Blackford Hill

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:26 pm

I used to look at Liberton Tower every day, because it was in the view from my office window, but I never quite got round to finding out if you could go to see it close up, so thank you for that.

The few-flowered leek is also everywhere at Cammo - and seems to have a *lot* of flowers. Maybe there's another leek with even more?

I could wave to you from Corstorphine Hill some day! But I think quite a lot of Edinburgh is lucky enough to have some kind of access to green spaces and even small hills - it's a good city for that.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby jmarkb » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:50 am

nigheandonn wrote:I used to look at Liberton Tower every day, because it was in the view from my office window, but I never quite got round to finding out if you could go to see it close up, so thank you for that.

You're very welcome!

nigheandonn wrote:The few-flowered leek is also everywhere at Cammo - and seems to have a *lot* of flowers. Maybe there's another leek with even more?

I think the name comes from the fact that each stem mostly only has one flower. The closely related Three-cornered Leek/Garlic has more, and looks a bit like a white bluebell: https://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/G/Garlic(ThreeCornered)/Garlic(ThreeCornered).htm

nigheandonn wrote: But I think quite a lot of Edinburgh is lucky enough to have some kind of access to green spaces and even small hills - it's a good city for that.

Yes, indeed. Might go to Holyrood Park for a change today!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:16 am

My leek it has three corners, three corners has my leek...
That does make sense, thanks!

I'm thinking of wandering through the parks up Drumbrae - not as wild, but a change of scene :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby RiverSong » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:34 pm

I enjoyed your photos but missed out on seeing the Pentlands from Braid Hill, it's a fantastic viewpoint for them. Blackford Glen is just a magical place to go for a walk.
RiverSong
Walker

Postby denfinella » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:47 pm

We've pretty much done all of your route, in bits, over our last few lockdown walks! :lol:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland