walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stunning Beinn Eighe Western Peaks in winter

Stunning Beinn Eighe Western Peaks in winter

Postby courtscotties » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:17 pm

Route description: Beinn Eighe (western summits)

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 04/02/2020

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 18 km

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Myself and my son in law decided we would like to add to our Munro tally by attempting some Western peaks in winter - both of us hailing from the East coast! We stayed in Strathcarron and after an hours drive parked in the main car park - having decided to follow the anti - clockwise route recommended as per Walkhighlands! This gave us a short walk along the main road to start the ascent - this would prove to be a good move so as not to have this at the end of the walk. There was also the added advantage to meeting the local tame stag in the car park!
91584141-27CC-49FA-BB97-D34CA3CFF276.jpeg
The car park attendant!

The ascent once off the road was relatively gradual and straightforward, eventually we reached the start of the snowfield which became steeper. It was at this point we met a gentleman from the Scottish Avalanche Information Service - the risk of avalanche was low which was reassuring.
CF48F037-4A1F-4971-8694-799FD07CD253.jpeg
Slow plod up the snowfield

F3AA8F5C-BE4F-4DD4-89DD-8A530CAEEEC0.jpeg
On minor peak Stuc Coire an Laoigh

From here on the views became more and more impressive and the winter conditions only added to the majesty of this area. Eventually we reached the trig point and continued very gradually to the peak at Spidean Coire Nan Clach - the conditions at this point were difficult and not a little scary due to the ice. However the views here were jaw dropping - to see the ice covered summits of all of Beinn Eighe and Liathach was one of life’s high points!
82139313-B9D9-40A1-A7AA-D7AACB0C7F72.jpeg
The view from the descent of Spidean Coire Nan Clach.

From here on the ridgewalk was relatively straightforward although visibility was now decreasing and by the time we reached the second Munro peak, Ruadh Stac Mhor, the visibility was non existent and after a couple of minutes rest we retraced our steps to start the descent into Coire Mhic Fhearchair. It was tough going down the “chute” although the snow did createsome cushioning for many slips! The Coire itself is amazing and the views to the Triple Buttress were excellent.
EBF3D005-E75A-458A-9C1B-35FC9DE0B742.jpeg
The Triple Buttress

From here it is a long walk along a well defined path. We did however concede that we should have started the day an hour earlier as by the time we reached the car park we were relying on head torches! In the dark we had no idea whether our old pal the stag was still there - we drove out of the car park slowly, just in case!
courtscotties
Backpacker

Munros:56   

Re: Stunning Beinn Eighe Western Peaks in winter

Postby Jaxter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:27 am

Coire mhic fhearchair is one of my favourite places and that photo is stunning :clap: :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby nick70 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 am

Did I see right? Short sleeved t-shirt? You must be a hardy soul lol. A fantastic report and account :clap: :clap:

Love the pic of the car park attendant :) :)
nick70

Postby Klaasloopt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Ah, good stuff!

In the midst of winter, people often post walks they walked in, say, april or july.

So when I hunt the forum for indications of conditions, I get photos of spring sunshine :?

This one has the swirling white stuff in it, like it should have :clap:
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby courtscotties » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:28 pm

Jaxter wrote:Coire mhic fhearchair is one of my favourite places and that photo is stunning :clap: :clap:

Thank you Jaxter. It is an amazing place - the cliffs are amazing and even more so when you Google pictures of climbers climbing them! Not for me!
courtscotties
Backpacker

Postby courtscotties » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:30 pm

nick70 wrote:Did I see right? Short sleeved t-shirt? You must be a hardy soul lol. A fantastic report and account :clap: :clap:

Love the pic of the car park attendant :) :)

Thank you very much Nick70 - not quite a t shirt but sleeves rolled up - scaling the snowfield generated quite a heat and there was actually very little wind.
courtscotties
Backpacker

Postby courtscotties » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:33 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:Ah, good stuff!

In the midst of winter, people often post walks they walked in, say, april or july.

So when I hunt the forum for indications of conditions, I get photos of spring sunshine :?

This one has the swirling white stuff in it, like it should have :clap:

Thank you Klaasloopt - we were so glad to be able to do this in winter - I am sure it is beautiful in summer too but the snow and ice made it really special - Liathach looked stunning but very formidable!
courtscotties
Backpacker

Postby Torridon_snails » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Lovely report and great pictures, particularly the ridge one, and the Coire, of course. Many thanks for posting. Sorry we've not been active on the forum for such a long time...
Daniel and Clare (Torridon_snails)
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby courtscotties » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Torridon_snails wrote:Lovely report and great pictures, particularly the ridge one, and the Coire, of course. Many thanks for posting. Sorry we've not been active on the forum for such a long time...
Daniel and Clare (Torridon_snails)

Thank you Torridon_snails ( great name!). Hopefully we can all return to Torridon soon when lockdown eases!
courtscotties
Backpacker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland