walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby Driftwood » Wed May 06, 2020 9:55 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:I will try spelling 'metres' as 'metres' and not as 'meters'......

Metre? Not in lockdown, that ends up with you needing to resign from SAGE.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Marty_JG » Wed May 06, 2020 10:15 pm

LOL... in the days of mountains being off-limits it seems we have all set ourselves more modest goals:

mole.jpg

Is it a mountain? It depends what we make of it.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:25 pm

And another thing.....Joggers and runners coming at me like an aerosol on legs spluttering and wheezing...

(actually I may have had this rant already) :roll:
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Marty_JG » Sat May 09, 2020 8:04 pm

They don't sound like joggers they sound like they're being chased by the rozzers.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Sgurr » Sun May 10, 2020 10:37 am

Met a woman to whom I complained about "King of the Pavement"...you all know him. He doesn't even have the excuse of looking at his phone and when he meets another king it's as if they are going to lock antlers. However I don't know why he has to prove his dominance over an 80 year old granny and force me into the road, hopefully not in front of a car. She replied with her jogger story. This guy ran past and she must have emitted a startled squawk as he turned back and shouted "I'll take the risk!" "YOU'LL take the risk" she said "YOU'LL take the risk, what about me, I'm being forced to. " "Did you say anything?" "No....I'm not quick like my friend Christine, quiet as a mouse in real life, but in the days when we were allowed into banks and QUEUE next to each other, she had just reached the front when a man pushed past her. "Excuse me," she said "There's quite a long queue here" "I know" he said, "but I'm in a hurry" "WELL!" she said "I see you're not in a hurry to go out and buy MANNERS" " We both sighed and wished we were more like Christine. But I pointed out it could back fire, as in the unfortunate incident in the swimming pool. It was very quiet, 3 to 4 at most people and a man came in and stood at the end of MY lane and swam straight at me! "This is power play" I thought, "I'm not having it!" So I went on swimming, and we bumped into each other. So I stood up and said "WELL!!!! I know old women are invisible, but this takes the biscuit,." "Sorry, " he said "Are you hurt?" "NO!!!! I said, but I'm leaving now." A couple of months later, I saw him again with an acquaintance whom I know has a nearly blind son, Whoops. So I had to go and apologise. Having said that, I walked all the way back home looking for "king of the pavement" and they had all gone home or metamorphosed into polite young men...but I still haven't thought what to say to them. Any ideas?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:47 am

Sgurr wrote:Having said that, I walked all the way back home looking for "king of the pavement" and they had all gone home or metamorphosed into polite young men...but I still haven't thought what to say to them. Any ideas?

There are still far less people out and about than pre-lockdown, but the pavement surface area has remained the same, so thoughtless people have more space to be thoughtless without externalising inconvenience on others, and are less noticable.

Related to pavement space, one of the off road shared used facilities I cycle on to get too and from town has a section with overgrown shrubbery which blocks half the route, forcing everyone (pedestrian and cyclist) to negotiate passage (analogous to single track roads in Scotland). I've e-mailed the council suggesting they prune them back (the shrubbery, not the other people), but haven't had a response yet, probably because of the lockdown.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby CharlesT » Sun May 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Marty_JG wrote:They don't sound like joggers they sound like they're being chased by the rozzers.

Is that the voice of experience I hear? :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Marty_JG » Sun May 10, 2020 2:57 pm

CharlesT wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:They don't sound like joggers they sound like they're being chased by the rozzers.

Is that the voice of experience I hear? :D

The only time I was chased by the police was about 11 or so, mucking around on a building site. I out-ran them too. Pretty proud of that.

Guess the don't call them "plod" for nothing.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby goral85 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:15 pm

Can anyone interpret what BoJo said today, with regards to hillwalking? Is it allowed or not? I'm normally quite conservative (pun intended) with regards to such restrictions but honestly no idea what today's speech meant with regard to hillwalking?
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:11   

Postby Raynor » Sun May 10, 2020 7:34 pm

goral85 wrote:Can anyone interpret what BoJo said today, with regards to hillwalking? Is it allowed or not? I'm normally quite conservative (pun intended) with regards to such restrictions but honestly no idea what today's speech meant with regard to hillwalking?

It wasn't particularly clear and explicit but from Wednesday

“encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise”

“You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household.”

Didn't say anything about staying local so that would appear to be the green light to drive anywhere you want and do any exercise or sport you want as long as it's alone or with members of your household and as long as you socially distance.

Interesting that he mentioned this was a UK wide approach and in conjunction with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. On the other hand, Nicola Sturgeon is saying this does not apply to Scotland where the message is still stay at home. The police have stated that they will turn cars round at the Scotland/England border.

It's as clear as mud really :crazy:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby rodderss » Sun May 10, 2020 8:03 pm

Seems pretty clear to me.
I can't drive 40minutes to walk a hill in scotland but if you live in England you can drive to walk the same hill.

Fuming.
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:06 pm

...meanwhile the National Parks eg Northumbria are still saying stay at home despite eg the fact it is a thousand times less likely to come into contact with someone else then eg Tesco's in Fulham grrrrrrr
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Raynor » Sun May 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Stay at home has been replaced by Stay Alert in England.

The first part of Stay Alert is stay at home as much as possible.

At the same time, "encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise”

I'm sure that clears things up :lol:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby rodderss » Sun May 10, 2020 8:16 pm

In Scotland you can walk round a park all day but can't sit down in it to eat something for a wee while :clap: :clap:
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby petectid » Sun May 10, 2020 8:48 pm

rodderss wrote:Seems pretty clear to me.
I can't drive 40minutes to walk a hill in scotland but if you live in England you can drive to walk the same hill.

Fuming.

That's not correct, the law in Scotland stands, if someone from England drives over the border they are then in breach of the law and can receive a fine from Police Scotland.
petectid
Munro compleatist

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:58   Islands:4

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion