walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby Glengavel » Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm

We could of course just use our common sense. Unfortunately, common sense seems to be a rare thing...
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 pm

either it is rare or common? :D
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby tony.cee » Fri May 22, 2020 9:35 pm

There is no more clout to this “5 mile” rule ,that seems to have been plucked from oblivion, Than there is about eating 5 portions of veg a day. Both guidance from the adults, and both entirely up to you.
I am wedged between a woodlands and a coastal path that has seen footfall explode since this experiment began, and I have absolutely zero say on who can and can’t enjoy these walks. Much the same as the “locals” who live in the vicinity of Scotland’s mountains who have taken it upon themselves to be custodians and decide who shall and shall not pass.
So, everyone being adults, go enjoy the hills, get fresh air and for Christ sake, don’t get lost. The twitterati will eat you alive!!!
The benefits outweigh the risk, because life has never been risk free, and never will.

Ps: only piece of advice, take your own sandwiches. Last thing you need is the village mob looking for an outsider for plundering their supplies.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:54 pm

would that be the same village mob anxious that we return after all the doings and spend money in their villages?
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby tony.cee » Fri May 22, 2020 10:02 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:would that be the same village mob anxious that we return after all the doings and spend money in their villages?

Yes. You will find that many of these villages are divided. One half who have settled after making their fortune in the city at Barclays and the likes, but who then moved to the country to reinvent themselves as a clay artists. And the other half, locals, who have to work, who need an income and want some semblance of normality/reality back.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Postby rodderss » Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 am

Doubt very much if the people in tourist areas don't won't people in there areas.
There income has totally dried up and accommodation providers in Scotland have been treated shabbily with financial help compared with those in England.
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby CharlesT » Sat May 23, 2020 8:44 am

tony.cee wrote:Last thing you need is the village mob looking for an outsider for plundering their supplies.

Or for being a witch, forsooth!
download.jpeg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat May 23, 2020 10:11 am

rodderss wrote:Doubt very much if the people in tourist areas don't won't people in there areas.

I'm not so sure about that! The role of tourists is too spend money and they can only do that once the shops, cafes pubs etc. are able to open safely. The best way to help businesses in local areas and get the hills open for everyone is to follow government guidelines so there are no unnecessary delays in enabling this to happen.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby EileanB » Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm

I live in an area which is increasingly reliant on tourist income, but which has had very few cases of Covid 19, and no new ones for some weeks. Many people here are extremely nervous about what will happen when things loosen up and people start visiting a remote area with an aging population and hospital an air ambulance ride away. When I am out with a rucksack I feel I should have a sign saying "not a tourist, honest" not because I fear the busybodies, but because I know how genuinely alarmed I could make some people feel. I haven't heard anyone suggest that the money is more important than safety, and many locals ( people whose families have been here for generations) get all nostalgic about the peace and quiet. They know it won't last for ever.
EileanB
Walker

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 pm

that would be "peace and quiet" and, oh yes, bankruptcy then.....and do the 'nostalgic' types ever venture into cities and towns for movies etc etc? If so they should carry signs too :D
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby EileanB » Sat May 23, 2020 4:53 pm

I suppose crofters and fishermen don't make much money from the hoards of campervans that head north west of a summer
EileanB
Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 pm

Really disappointing stuff from Glencoe MRT. https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-52754442?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15902498664712&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fuk-scotland-highlands-islands-52754442
Similar stuff from Cairngorms NP and the ramblers association.

I was speaking to a colleague at work today who is a keen golfer and member at Muir of Ord golf course which is close to a 20 mile drive for him. The course has been in touch telling him they should be open next friday with all rules in place to golf safely. No access to building, so nearly everyone will be driving. Car park open and common sense in place. I imagine the vast majority of courses will have similar plans. So 20 miles plus is ok and driving is ok. Yes the golf club members pay fees but that should not be a factor when safety is the main concern.

Meanwhile some mountain rescue teams are saying the hills are strictly for locals and of course themselves for recreation. Car parks are still going to be blocked off and access hindered as much as possible.
It is not for the MRT to interpret the government advice for us or put pressure on the government to keep people off the hills.
MRT are giving the impression they want to keep people off the hills as long as possible because they are having trouble adapting to the corona. Of course they are volunteers and they dont have to do it - I accept that and that is their choice. But just give us the facts and we will deal with it ourselves and many will choose to stay away. If golfers can drive from Inverness far further than 5 miles and from Glasgow to Ayrshire which is even further, then it's got to be an even playing field.
It seems golf is embracing the lockdown easing whilst the self proclaimed mountain authorities are frightened of it.

I totally understand remote communities being nervous of city and town dwellers bringing in the virus but we cant stay like this forever and the risk to locals should be minimal. The government specifically said hiking, fishing and canoeing is back on the agenda.
This is not practical in a 5 mile radius or without driving - same as golf.

I wonder if canoeists and fisherman are receiving the same negative vibes as hill walkers.

Ps I cant see how MRT and the national parks are going to be so much better prepared in 3 or 6 weeks.
Very disappointing and very negative. :(

Aviemore is just over 20 miles from me and plenty parking there. I might borrow someone's golf trolley so that no one pesters me, or gives me abuse or calls the police as I'm walking through the Lairig Ghru! :D
Sunset tripper

Postby tony.cee » Sat May 23, 2020 5:53 pm

There is also the reality of you not being able to catch the virus, simply by looking at someone. So unless these “locals” out in the country side intend to wrestle with the visiting “townies”, they should calm down and have a cup of perspective about the whole thing. The hills belong no more to them than they do to me and you.
I suppose when sturgeon (or do we listen to Boris? The ayatollah?) says we are allowed to sit on the grass again, she could also chuck in a couple of reassuring facts so the people that the gov have petrified, can breathe slightly easier.
Scotland’s greatest asset is its outdoor space, it is for everyone to enjoy. Even those south of the wall. :lol:
The message should be enjoy the outdoors, but an even greater emphasis on being careful and planning and not taking risks with weather or over exertion.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Postby hikesandsleeps » Sat May 23, 2020 6:06 pm

Just for information, Mountaineering Scotland have called for clarity, and say that they are going to publish some guidance next week ahead of phase 1
hikesandsleeps
Walker

Munros:36   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby KatTai » Sat May 23, 2020 6:44 pm

I've decided I'll start exploring the local glen once Phase 1 starts. It's staying local, has few residents who will probably be going into the town I live in for their shopping anyway, is covered in clear landrover tracks (to the point my map is useless as there always seems to be new ones appearing) and certainly isn't a tourist trap by any stretch of the imagination, I've been there on a glorious Easter Sunday a few years ago and only saw two other people :lol: Should keep me busy, even if it isn't the most exciting of places (though I did see a golden eagle up there). I'll also be able to take my boy running in the forest where it is cooler and there is lots of water available for him to cool down in and it is much better ground to run on.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion