walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dreaming of Torridon

Dreaming of Torridon

Postby Jaxter » Wed May 20, 2020 10:33 am

Route description: An Ruadh-stac

Munros included on this walk: Maol Chean-dearg

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 21/09/2019

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 20.77 km

Ascent: 1442m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A rare weekend in Inverness – Malky had wanted to do some home décor and I had an actual weekend off so decided to come too (the excellent forecast had nothing to do with it… :roll: ) My train got in late Friday night after work so neither of us was in a hurry to get up in the morning! Fortunately the weather was to be incredible all day with the wind dropping throughout; a perfect excuse for a lazy start :lol:

We parked up and Malky used the last few minutes while I put my boots on to dry out his waterproof (the irony being it was the hottest day in ages and the waterproof was unlikely to be necessary anyway :lol: )

We crossed the Fionn-Abhainn and were wishing we’d remembered to pack sun cream 8)

Looking ahead to An Ruadh-Stac

It was hot work as we headed up the track – the last time we’d been down here it had been in the dark with a heavy pack, so this ought to have been easy. But I had forgotten (yet again!) how much ascent it was to the bothy :roll:

We passed a couple of cyclists sporting some impressive tats as they were fixing flat tyres. They soon overtook us but it looked like pretty hard work with a lot of carrying over the awkward sections!

The bridge and good views to the back of Sgorr Ruadh

Looking back 8)

Finally Coire Fionnaraich bothy was in sight – progress at least!

Shortly past the bothy we hopped our way over a boggy section before our path diverged from the main path and we started heading more steeply uphill towards the Bealaich a’ Choire Ghairbh – Maol Chean Dearg was looking striking (and big :roll: )

As we climbed we started to get some views towards Torridon – yass – this was what I was after 8)

Back to Sgorr Ruadh

Sgorr Ruadh and Fuar Tholl

Finally we reached the bealach and could see our first target, An Ruadh Stac – absolutely spectacular 8)

The route up Maol Chean Dearg

It was windy now we were at the bealach so we dropped a few metres towards the lochan and to find a more sheltered spot and eat some lunch – we’d had such a late start that it was lunch time and we were starving! But the weather was a million times better than my last visit here

Wonderful views down to Beinn Damh

It was time to get going – soon as we got up we were being blown around like crazy and there were some undignified moments as we made our way around the side of the lochan.

Looking back to Maol Chean Dearg

Around the lochan, we clambered up onto the ridge and started making our way up An Ruadh Stac

It was super windy but at least it was easy walking on the slabs

As we climbed we were able to see out to the western edges of the Torridon giants 8)

Once we were off the slabs the gradient increased and the underfoot conditions became much more challenging. On the steepest section we bumped into of Malky’s friends who proudly informed us this was his 200th Corbett :lol: Then just before the summit we were recognised by fellow WalkHighlander Gail 8)

Fuar Tholl

Fuar Tholl & Sgorr Ruadh

Maol Chean Dearg

Although the views towards Torridon itself were incredible from here we realised that we would have to reach Maol Chean Dearg for the truly stunning Torridonian vistas 8)

Incredible views to Beinn Liath Mor and friends

Rum & Skye 8)

Beinn Damh – the northern end of the Trotternish and Harris sticking out behind

Summit of Sgorr Ruadh

Oh my goodness he’s actually smiling :lol:

Eigg, Rum & Skye

Beinn Damh, the Graham Beinn na h-Eaglaise with Alligin sticking out behind

Incredible Beinn Alligin 8)

Fuar Tholl and all the hills to the South

It was windy so we enjoyed the views for some time but once we started to get chilly we headed off. It was a horrendous descent to start with – really steep and loose rock are not a great combination for my knees at the moment :roll:

Back on the slabs it was much easier underfoot and the wind was starting to drop as well 8)

Maol Chean Dearg across the lochans – were we going up?

We crossed between the lochans, passing some folks setting up camp – we were kind of wishing we’d brought the tent. So long as Malky had carried it of course :wink:

We climbed the few metres back up to the bealach and it was decision time…to be fair it was never a decision and we silently agreed to start heading up the steep first section :lol:

Looking back to Meall na Ceapairean which would have made a good descent route

It was a fairly brutal climb up the first section but on a good path which made it wonderfully easy compared to An Ruadh Stac! Here the ridge levelled out – in theory easy, but a combination of shattered rock and tired legs meant I was falling around all over the place, entertaining for Malky of course :lol:

Looking back down the ridge

An Ruadh Stac

The final climb was back on wonderful Torridonian sandstone – much more grippy and great underfoot and made the steep climb far more enjoyable :lol: The views weren’t bad either :wink:

Fuar Tholl with Sgurr na Ceannaichean and Moruisg behind

Nearly there….

Looking back to An Ruadh Stac

Then we were at the summit – the views were just stunning 8)

Liathach and Beinn Eighe

Beinn na h-Eaglaise and Beinn Alligin

Beinn Damh

Rum and Skye

Harris 8) 8) 8)

Torridon panorama 8)

Beinn na h-Eaglaise, Beinn Alligin and Liathach

Beinn Eighe with the Fisherfield hills poking out behind 8)

Slightly better zoom (if only I’d had space for my big lens :roll: )

Beinn Liath Mor and Sgorr Ruadh

Beinn Alligin

Liathach

Me and my Malky 8)

Summit of Maol Chean Dearg

With the wind dropped to an acceptable level we were able to sit and enjoy the early evening light. It was a stunning evening and we really didn’t want to leave :roll: Torridon is one of my favourite places and I’m always surprised that Malky doesn’t come here more often as he lives so close!

One last one for the road….

To avoid retracing our steps and cut off some distance, Malky suggested the East ridge. He promised that it was easy underfoot and it wouldn’t cause me any issues for my knee. I really ought to know better than to trust him :roll: :crazy:

Looking back up

Sgorr Ruadh and some long shadows

Looking across to the fannies

The terrain got steeper and more awkward underfoot – heather and rocks and slippery mud :crazy: The crags were impressive though 8)

A last glimpse of An Ruadh Stac

Sgorr Ruadh

Sgurr na Ceathreamhnan

Once down the worst section it was easier walking – lots of slabs and then less heather (hooray!)

Next we had to cross a burn which involved dropping into a bit of a trench but had the advantage of being able to fill our depleted water bottles with beautiful clear mountain water 8)

Looking back into the corrie

Final farewell to Beinn Eighe…

….and Sgorr Ruadh

Soon we were back on the path and setting an impressive pace back down the glen – unfortunately we were missing what looked like an impressive sunset, but hey, we can’t always have it all :roll:

Sadly I managed to turn an ankle as I wasn’t concentrating :roll: I assumed it would be sore the next day but seemed to have survived otherwise :roll: The light was going fast (this time of year always seems to come around quickly!) and by the time we were back at the road we weren’t too far from having to get the head torches out!

Even better Malky was driving so I was able to sit back and relax, enjoying the fantastic feeling of a belter of a day on the hills 8)

ARS & MCD.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Dreaming of Torridon

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 pm

Ahh memories 8) It certainly was a good day to be up there - wasn't far away from you
Had a look back and I awoke that morning at the summit of Beinn a'Chàisgein Mòr looking over at An Teallach before walking round to the Beinn Deargs. Cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Fri May 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Bizarre that one of the whitest hills you'll ever ascend is called An Ruadh Stac :?
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri May 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Brings back memories. We had similar conditions on this one: +30*C and blue sky. Loved the scramble-ish sections and the slabs. Indeed we sat on the summit for over an hour, staring at the views. Torridon is simply stunning. We need to remember moments like that now, when hillwalking is not allowed...
Thanks for brightening my day :D
(actually, we are painting the kitchen today, so I had a good excuse to drop the brush for a few minutes :lol: )
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon May 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Absolutely stunning! Hard to been Torridon when the weather's like that.

You must have fair been champing at the bit as you wrote this up ...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sgurr » Tue May 26, 2020 11:30 am

Excellent. We did this the other way round. We had set off to do MCD, but R had been up so often he would only come with me if we added on the Corbett. Like you we had a great day. East ridge? I don't think so, but not an option from doing them the other way round.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby KeithS » Thu May 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Torridon has to be one of the best areas in Scotland, after Fisherfield of course. :D
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:14 pm

rockhopper wrote:Ahh memories 8) It certainly was a good day to be up there - wasn't far away from you
Had a look back and I awoke that morning at the summit of Beinn a'Chàisgein Mòr looking over at An Teallach before walking round to the Beinn Deargs. Cheers :)

Oooft now you're just showing off :wink: :lol: :lol: That must have been quite something 8)

BlackPanther wrote:Brings back memories. We had similar conditions on this one: +30*C and blue sky. Loved the scramble-ish sections and the slabs. Indeed we sat on the summit for over an hour, staring at the views. Torridon is simply stunning. We need to remember moments like that now, when hillwalking is not allowed...
Thanks for brightening my day :D
(actually, we are painting the kitchen today, so I had a good excuse to drop the brush for a few minutes :lol: )

The slabs were brilliant weren't they! They look impressive from afar but you don't quite get the sense of scale until you're on them 8) On the plus side, I bet your kitchen looks fantastic! 8)

Alteknacker wrote:Absolutely stunning! Hard to been Torridon when the weather's like that.

You must have fair been champing at the bit as you wrote this up ...

Cheers - I have to agree, Torridon is fabulous 8) I've unfortunately been really unwell so was dreaming of even being outside :lol: Hope you are coping with the indoors-ness!

Sgurr wrote:Excellent. We did this the other way round. We had set off to do MCD, but R had been up so often he would only come with me if we added on the Corbett. Like you we had a great day. East ridge? I don't think so, but not an option from doing them the other way round.

I'm not sure there's a bad day to be had in Torridon!! What a pair of hills though 8)

KeithS wrote:Torridon has to be one of the best areas in Scotland, after Fisherfield of course. :D

I'm sure we had an argument about that once...(that I won :roll: :lol: )
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby ere1 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi Jackie,

Nice hill and great report. Thanks for posting! :D

Cheers

Peter
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland