walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Putting Corona in the Bin

Putting Corona in the Bin

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 07/06/2020

Time taken: 1.4 hours

Distance: 3.62 km

Ascent: 348m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since picking up the dreaded Coronavirus the week before lockdown, it had been a pretty rough journey for the past 3 months. Following the best part of a month in bed, fitness was down to nothing so it had been a frustrating and slow road back. Malky had been amazingly patient since I was able to get out and about, and we had managed to push both my distance and ascent on the bikes to a level where he suggested something stupid (and I suggested a way to make it even more stupid :lol: )

It was a relatively easy cycle out of town and before we knew it we were at the bottom of the Crow Road. Never terribly steep, but a big ascent….however, the views were fabulous 8) ImageMalky stopping for a breather

ImageLooking across to the Kilpatrick Hills

Unfortunately I’d forgotten that this was only about half way :lol:
ImageA quick breather at the car park

There were a LOT of people here, including a guy sitting in his car with a disposable BBQ :roll:
ImageLots of folk heading up Cort ma Law

We left the road just before the top of the hill and took a forestry track which went dramatically uphill straight away…of course :roll:
ImageTime for some off-roading

To be fair, once the steep section was over the track was very reasonable, if a little tough on the backside :shock:

We lost all the height again before overtaking a family with a dog in a bike trailer :shock: We took the right fork when the track split; this took us gently uphill for a short section before the track ended and we dumped the bikes.

We were on foot from here….headgear switched, and poles out – off we went. There was a fairly well-trodden route through a gap in the trees which was a bit damp underfoot but easily avoidable :thumbup:
ImageOn foot

As we escaped from the trees we could see our route ahead – the top of the firebreak was where we met the track and the “standard” route up Meikle Bin
ImageAhead to the firebreak

We climbed steeply down a grassy bank, made easier by the dry underfoot conditions and footmarks from many people before us
ImageThe Bin Burn

We easily crossed the Bin Burn (despite being very out of practise on river crossings :lol: ) and started up the fire break – this would probably be a swamp during wetter times, but there was nothing to worry about here and even a faint path to follow 8)
ImageHeading up the fire break

It was steep and tough going for poor unfit Jaxter :shock: The views were already pretty awesome 8)
ImageHolehead and the radar station

As we popped out onto the track we could see the end of the reservoir
ImageCarron Valley Reservoir

This was also where we started to see people, although not as many as we’d thought! We started up the path to the summit of Meikle Bin – again it was good underfoot, but definitely steeper than I’d remembered!
ImageCarron Valley Reservoir

ImageSummit ahoy

ImageLovely views to bigger hills

And I’d made it!! (So had Malky, but then it’s not such a challenge for him :lol: )
ImageJaxter on Meikle Bin!

The last occasion I’d been up here had been foul weather so it was nice to finally get those views that people go on about :lol:
ImageSome view

We saw several mountain-bikers up here, one of whom recognised us from the forum :lol: They seemed to be pushing up the steep side and heading off down the back.

Arran was visible (so was Ailsa Craig, but wasn’t picked up on my wee camera)
ImageArran

We had seat on some dry-ish grass and enjoyed a well-earned picnic, whilst admiring the seagulls 8)
ImageLots of seagulls

After a while I realised my bum was getting damp so we headed off, passing an aircraft wreck that neither of us had noticed before. Since looking it up it appears to be wreckage of a fatal accident in January 1950, when a Fairey Firefly of the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm crashed just below the summit in low cloud while en route to HMS Sanderling Naval Air Station. Both crewmen were killed on impact.
ImageAircraft wreckage

We carefully made our way down to the track – I was trying not to aggravate my knee-injury which had flared up again with all the inactivity :thumbdown: It was an easy walk back down to the Bin Burn, passing a man wearing a fabulous Batman t-shirt :lol:
ImageThe Bin Burn

Safely across the burn again, we climbed up the steep back, bashed through the trees and picked the bikes back up. The midges were starting to find us so we quickly got back on the bikes.

Back on track – downhill on average from here….
ImageForest track

We had decided to drop down to Waterhead on the track – giving us slightly more distance but probably easier ascent. Plus, everyone likes a circuit :lol:
ImagePretty but spiky

We found a couple of cattlegrids (my favourite :roll: ) and a locked gate – fortunately Malky was a gent and lifted the bikes over :lol: and we were back on the road. Just a case of the long cycle home then…. :lol:
ImageLooking back to Meikle Bin

This was where my version of the stupid came in – I suggested going back via Strathblane – would only add on a couple of km and a wee hill, and would make more of a loop. Seemed like a good idea at the time…. :roll:

It was an easy free-wheel back to Lennoxtown and we dropped onto the cycle path to Strathblane. The views back where wonderful 8)
ImageCort ma Law

ImageCool basalt

The hill out of Strathblane was pretty nasty, but luckily also short. We also passed the scene of where I’d fallen off my bike the last time I’d been here as I was admiring the views rather than watching the road :roll: We stopped to admire the views this time :lol:
ImageDumgoyne and Earl's Seat

From here it was an easy roll into Milngavie (and an icecream stop – Unicones are back!!) before a very tired ride back to Glasgow. Just over 60km (with 770m ascent!) in all – a lot longer than I’d planned but so far no ill effects that a plate of take-away pancakes from our favourite “Stack and Still” and an early night couldn’t fix :lol:
ImageWell-earned pancakes

**** you, corona-virus!!

Meikle_Bin_from_the_back.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Meikle Bin cycle.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Putting Corona in the Bin

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Well done guys. Jaxter, sounds like you've had a rough time. Crackin wee trip that. I used to work on and off at the old Caley Works where you passed near Springburn. Over 3000 folk employed there at one time, sadly closed down last year after 160 years :( . Also been up and down Kirky Road many times. The Eagle Lodge was visited on a few occasions for a beer, not sure it's still there either. :(

All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Always nice to read a TR of my favourite local hill,the views are fantastic for such a small amount of effort ( on the hill it's self I should add ). Plenty points of interest in that area you should visit if you get the chance The Loup of Fintry, locally known as Tams Loup,or one of the best preserved Mote & Bailey of Sir John de Graeme right hand man of William Wallace,or tackle The Tak ma Doon road,and a wee walk up Tomtain, locally known as Tamtain.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 pm

R found that inactivity re-activated his dodgy knee.The physio reckons that only his strong thigh muscles had held up the bit that was grating on the other bit, and they were no longer strong after hip-op and coronovirus. Looks as if yours are strengthening up fairly well.

When I did this hill there were posters up for an old man who farmed locally and had dementia. Nobody knows what happened to him as far as I know, and he has never been found.

Nice pics and lovely pancakes. Maybe try making them.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby litljortindan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:39 pm

That looks a nice hill but the niceness must be magnified a hundred times off the back of such an illness.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:50 pm

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery after what must have been a toughie.

Nice view point. I also liked the summit YouTube panorama, which must have taken some effort with the distraction of a song bird sitting on your head by the sound of it! :lol:

The inactivity thing definitely hasn't helped injuries. My own dodgy knee went through a bad phase as I tried to maintain some level of fitness, compounded by having to walk tarmac for at least a mile to get anywhere nice, but seems to have gotten better as I've built up at least a basic level of fitness.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:12 pm

Good to see you're recovering well :thumbup:
and being looked after properly...... :wink:
....and taking it easy with a nice, short jaunt :roll: :silent:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:01 pm

Not Bin up there yet. Maybe one day if I don't reach the end of me rope by then! :lol: :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Raynor » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Good to see you have recovered. You two have a very interesting concept of easing back into things :shock: :lol:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Graeme D wrote:Not Bin up there yet. Maybe one day if I don't reach the end of me rope by then! :lol: :roll:

Gimmie a shout when the time comes if you fancy some company
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:16 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Not Bin up there yet. Maybe one day if I don't reach the end of me rope by then! :lol: :roll:

15th July???? You got anything else in the diary??? :lol:
Graeme D

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:27 pm

Graeme D wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:

Erm currently unavailable due to a pending hernia repair sadly
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
Graeme D wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:

Erm currently unavailable due to a pending hernia repair sadly

No worries- hope that all goes OK. In any case, I'm hoping to set my sights a wee bit higher than the Bin for the second half of July. No offence! :lol:
Graeme D

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Well done guys. Jaxter, sounds like you've had a rough time. Crackin wee trip that. I used to work on and off at the old Caley Works where you passed near Springburn. Over 3000 folk employed there at one time, sadly closed down last year after 160 years :( . Also been up and down Kirky Road many times. The Eagle Lodge was visited on a few occasions for a beer, not sure it's still there either. :(

All the best :D

Thanks - yes it's been utterly crap but hopefully through the worst of it now....according to google the Eagle Lodge is still there, although may have had a bit of a refurb as it looks quite posh :shock:

gammy leg walker wrote:Always nice to read a TR of my favourite local hill,the views are fantastic for such a small amount of effort ( on the hill it's self I should add ). Plenty points of interest in that area you should visit if you get the chance The Loup of Fintry, locally known as Tams Loup,or one of the best preserved Mote & Bailey of Sir John de Graeme right hand man of William Wallace,or tackle The Tak ma Doon road,and a wee walk up Tomtain, locally known as Tamtain.

I love the Campsies - all of your suggestions are on our big long list of places to go, actually almost ended up on the Tak this weekend but the wind suggested otherwise :lol:

Sgurr wrote:R found that inactivity re-activated his dodgy knee.The physio reckons that only his strong thigh muscles had held up the bit that was grating on the other bit, and they were no longer strong after hip-op and coronovirus. Looks as if yours are strengthening up fairly well.

When I did this hill there were posters up for an old man who farmed locally and had dementia. Nobody knows what happened to him as far as I know, and he has never been found.

Nice pics and lovely pancakes. Maybe try making them.

Yes - unfortunately an annoying side effect of the inactivity. I seem to be slowly getting there with physio exercises and careful planning of what I do - I do hope R is starting to see improvement too.
I just had a google and can't see anything about the missing man being found sadly.
(We did try making pancakes too - a lot of effort but absolutely worth it! The trickiest bit was finding buttermilk in the supermarket!)

litljortindan wrote:That looks a nice hill but the niceness must be magnified a hundred times off the back of such an illness.

Oh yes - that feeling of being out there was something else 8) 8)

Mal Grey wrote:Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery after what must have been a toughie.

Nice view point. I also liked the summit YouTube panorama, which must have taken some effort with the distraction of a song bird sitting on your head by the sound of it! :lol:

The inactivity thing definitely hasn't helped injuries. My own dodgy knee went through a bad phase as I tried to maintain some level of fitness, compounded by having to walk tarmac for at least a mile to get anywhere nice, but seems to have gotten better as I've built up at least a basic level of fitness.

Thankyou :D There were an incredible amount of birds up there...not sure if it was the lure of walkers' sandwiches or if nature has reclaimed the land :lol:
Sorry to hear you also have knee woes - tarmac isn't great is it. Hopefully things will improve for you also 8)

rockhopper wrote:Good to see you're recovering well :thumbup:
and being looked after properly...... :wink:
....and taking it easy with a nice, short jaunt :roll: :silent:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We had done a fair bit of struggling to walk around the block, followed by the day I made it to Glasgow green...and then around it... :lol:
To be fair to him, Malky has been amazing (but don't tell him I said that, he'll think I'm going soft :lol: )

I think we're all going a bit loopy :lol: But well worth it for the views 8)

Raynor wrote:Good to see you have recovered. You two have a very interesting concept of easing back into things :shock: :lol:

Thanks - you're lucky I didn't write walk reports for my struggles to get around the block :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:52 pm

Good to see that you're up and about after what must have been quite a scary experience.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland