walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a walk to make you go "Ooh" "Ah"

a walk to make you go "Ooh" "Ah"

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:44 am

Date walked: 03/06/2001

Time taken: 4

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The view of A that really did make me go "ooh". That's the pub on the left.

A good path beside Agvatnet but it gets quite adventurous along the way.

Mannen (left) and Gjertindan to the south west.

On the way up the zig-zags to the bealach or whatever that is in Norwegian.

The village of A (pronounced "ooh", not "ah") at the head of the loch. Ah, I hear you say. Or possibly not.

View to the west coast. From here I could look up the south ridge of Mengelsdalstinden (will add photo when I find it -in an album somewhere) BUT I got really unnerved about ascending after going just a short distance. It was steep and exposed and wet grass without a path there. Later I discovered that someone had died there the week before. A bullet dodged I wonder. It's the right hand ridge line on the first pic. Doesn't look much but a slip either side and you are not going to stop very easily.

The uninviting (to me) ridge.

View east.

Overview from photo album.

map -if you go south a bit.

Now that I've looked at the map again that ridge to Mengelsdalstinden seems even more off-putting as it is labelled skytefelt, apparently meaning artillery range. I also recall remarking to someone after I got back from this ten day trip that it was never very relaxing on the hill tops as there is such a high proportion of steep ground compared to Scottish hills.
Last edited by litljortindan on Sat May 09, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: a walk to make you go "Ooh" "Ah"

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am

I thought I recognised the first photo! We camped at A (pronounced Ooh!), many many years ago

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:21 pm

Nice! Have you been watching Twin on BBC4? Reine, Svolvaer and Unstad beach all feature heavily.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:16 pm

jmarkb wrote:Have you been watching Twin on BBC4? Reine, Svolvaer and Unstad beach all feature heavily.

I've not seen it but thanks for pointing it out. Now I have to reconnect my catch up tv but I can't get the wps button to work, I don't have an ethernet cable and I probably can't remember what I reset the broadband password to. So it may take some time.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:23 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:I thought I recognised the first photo! We camped at A (pronounced Ooh!), many many years ago

Tim

Do any walking from there?
I have a better photo of the same scene but with the pub and fishing huts in front.
Also just remembered that I discovered A to be a bit feudal. The guy who ran the A hostel back then, or possibly one of his serfs, pointed out that he owned most of the village too.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sat May 09, 2020 8:49 pm

Added a bit. Found the photo of A I was looking for but had to take a photo of it as I'd have to peel it out of its album if I wanted to scan it which would basically ruin the photo so I guess it's stuck in there for good. I do have hundreds of unsorted negatives so that would give me something else to do.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:37 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice! Have you been watching Twin on BBC4? Reine, Svolvaer and Unstad beach all feature heavily.

Twin was great but disappointed that no-one climbed any hills.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:32 pm

I somehow missed this first time around, but now I've looked at it, it was all "ooh" and "ah". Absolutely stunning!

PS I think your care with long steep wet grassy slopes is well founded - at least, I share your concern about the potential for long, unplanned, rapidly accelerating journeys!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby litljortindan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:34 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I somehow missed this first time around, but now I've looked at it, it was all "ooh" and "ah". Absolutely stunning!

PS I think your care with long steep wet grassy slopes is well founded - at least, I share your concern about the potential for long, unplanned, rapidly accelerating journeys!!

Scrambler's paradise. When dry, of course!
litljortindan
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland