walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Ness 360 now complete

Loch Ness 360 now complete

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Route description: Loch Ness 360: Dores to Inverness

Date walked: 12/06/2020

Distance: 13 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done the Great Glen Way and South Loch Ness Trail there was only the section between Torbreck and the castle to complete the Loch Ness 360. It also fitted with Nicola Sturgeon's restriction of driving no further than 5 miles for exercise, when almost everything we want to do means driving further than that. Desperately hoping this very short distance will be increased soon!

Parking at Torbreck seems to happen in passing places on narrow road so we decided to park by the Ness Islands and do a circuit from there.

When no one was coming we crossed the bridge (as per instructions)
IMG_9545.JPG

Island art
IMG_9546.JPG

We took a right turn from the islands on to Island Bank Road and walked in the direction of Dores. On the left side of the road as we approached the roundabout there was a tree with red blossom which I think was a Red Horse Chestnut. I'd not noticed it before. You see so much more walking than you do driving.

Red Horse Chestnut
IMG_9548.JPG

At the roundabout we could have followed the Dores Road as far as the left turn for Torbreck but there's not much of a verge and it's a busy road so we followed the ring road uphill until we came to a turn into the Holm Dell area of housing. We had passed a path lower down which might have worked, but it looked overgrown so we stuck to the road. This took us to a path along Holm Burn which led to the road for Torbreck where we turned right.

Not sure what this once was but that wall looks pretty old
IMG_9549.JPG

When we reached the woods it was a choice of lunch there or wait till we reached the castle. The woods won.

Lunch stop in Torbreck woods
IMG_9551.JPG

Hunger satisfied we retraced our steps to the road and back to Torbreck.

South Loch Ness Trail nearing its end
IMG_9552.JPG

Torbreck road
IMG_9553.JPG

We followed the route into town and once on Island Bank Road turned left on to the islands.

Wrought iron bridge on islands
IMG_9556.JPG

After all the street walking on lead I let Keira off and she went straight into the river which is shallow at this point.

River Ness looking over to Bught Park
IMG_9557c.JPG

IMG_9563.JPG

Route instructions say to turn up here
IMG_9564.JPG

Inverness Castle
IMG_9566c.JPG

You don't often see it like this, without vehicles parked outside or tourists taking photos.

Plaque for end of Great Glen Way
IMG_9573.JPG

When we finished the Great Glen Way we were under the impression the end point was the war memorial so never saw this. Well we've seen it now.

West side of Inverness from castle
IMG_9569.JPG

When I was a young child visiting my Inverness grandparents I envied Flora MacDonald for her faithful dog. Little did I know I'd be back in this place all these years later with my own faithful hound.

Keira (M's pic)
104098340_10158280987963788_5443292562422307704_n.jpg

That was the Loch Ness 360 complete but we still had to get back to the cars. This time we followed the road round Ness Bank Church and paid our respects to the 'Three Graces', Faith, Hope and Charity. They previously stood on the roof of the building at the junction of High Street and Castle Street but were removed when it was rebuilt. Since then they spent most of their time in Orkney, until the Highland Council was able to reclaim them and bring them home to where they now stand.

Three Graces
IMG_9574.JPG

Outside Ness Bank Church
IMG_9576.JPG

We crossed the Infirmary Bridge
IMG_9577.JPG

View back to the castle
IMG_9578.JPG

Walking the Loch Ness 360 in one go would have given a greater sense of achievement, but with most of the route already in the can we couldn't resist finishing it - and it was nice to get a tick for one of our local lockdown walks!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Loch Ness 360 now complete

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:48 pm

It looked a good day and good pics. In your 4th photo I think the round pond is part of the newish flood prevention set up. I'm not sure about the old wall but maybe something to do with Ness Castle. :?
I was out past the river today on my bike but the other side. I took a run out to Drumnadrochit mostly on the Great Glen Way. I have been avoiding the ness islands recently because I've found them to be a bit too crowded for comfort. :(
Cheers :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Loch Ness 360 now complete

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:It looked a good day and good pics. In your 4th photo I think the round pond is part of the newish flood prevention set up. I'm not sure about the old wall but maybe something to do with Ness Castle. :?
I was out past the river today on my bike but the other side. I took a run out to Drumnadrochit mostly on the Great Glen Way. I have been avoiding the ness islands recently because I've found them to be a bit too crowded for comfort. :(
Cheers :D

The first day restrictions were eased slightly I walked along the canal to Dochgarroch and back and found it unpleasantly crowded, with some cyclists making no attempt to socially distance or give warning they were approaching from behind. Next day climbed a wee local hill that was deserted. No question which was more enjoyable! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland