walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Finally got views in the Campsies!

Finally got views in the Campsies!

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:53 pm

Route description: Dumgoyne and Earl's Seat, near Killearn

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 14/06/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11.42 km

Ascent: 827m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A rare weekday evening off coincided with a good weather forecast; even better it was a day I was working near Lenzie, so opted to take the car rather than the usual train. There was a surprising amount of traffic on the roads – I hadn’t really clocked that it was rush-hour, but I was parked up in the layby opposite the distillery and walking before 5.30, so it wasn’t a bad effort.

It was far quieter on the hill than I had expected – hardly any people about at all despite the nice weather. I made it to the summit of Dumgoyne by the direct route – I always forget how steep this is, but at least the ground was nice and dry. I remember being out on a much wetter day and laughing at all the people sliding their way down like skittles in their trainers :lol:
ImageDSC04081

It was beautifully clear and I could see my route ahead, and the whole plateau. Views from the Campsies at last 8)
ImageDSC04082

A wee bit hazy out towards Loch Lomond but still stunning
ImageDSC04083

Looking towards Callander, Menteith and eventually Ben Vorlich
ImageDSC04084

Someone had left a curious creature on the trig – looks like it could be a squirrel?
ImageDSC04085

Jaxter-ing on Dumgoyne
ImageDSC04086

Time was getting on so I headed off down the steep backside of Dumgoyne – I mind coming down here one winter and it was icy as :lol: No such problems today fortunately!

Dumgoyne always looks impressive from every angle!
ImageDSC04089

I took the standard route up towards Garloch Hill and before long I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere – I love how the Campsies are so close to home but easy to feel much further away!

Looking across to Loch Lomond again

It was certainly the driest excursion I’d ever had up here (although there were still some damp sections, especially in the dips along the ridge)

It was a lovely wander along the ridge and I made it to the summit of Earl’s Seat without incident (where I then proceeded to nearly fall off the trig point :lol: )

I was able to look further along the ridge – it would be nice to do a walk further along here someday, perhaps catching a bus back to the start point! There were certainly some striking crags

Looking back along the route out, with the sun hitting Loch Lomond in the distance

Looking East – the plateau with Meikle Bin on the skyline

A slightly over-exposed panorama of the views – the photos don’t quite show how nice an evening it was!

As it was such a lovely evening, and I always like to make my routes circular where possible, I decided I’d go for a bit of off-piste walking :roll: Initially I thought I could walk around the edge of the plateau and all the way around the crags. Then I realised quite how big an undertaking that was :lol: So I decided to head vaguely towards Little Earl and see where I ended up….

There were some smatterings of path initially….

But before long I ended up wading through a mess of tussocks and heather. I’d managed to drop off the ridge (where the ground may have been better) but also was nowhere near the boggy shortcut path that I’d followed back previously. So I was filling my boots up with heather and wasn’t even getting any views for my trouble :roll:

Looking back to Earl’s Seat across a sea of heather

This was actually some of the better ground I walked across….

After quite of a lot bashing through the undergrowth I made it to Clachertyfarlie Knowes and soon picked up some semblance of a track

Evening light on Loch Lomond

From here I was able to drop back onto my outward route as I approached the bealach with Dumgoyne – a relief! Dumgoyne was looking very evening-y 8)

A wee flyover!

Last glimpse of Loch Lomond

It was an easy walk around the side of Dumgoyne and down towards the burn (not really any need to go up it again!) - everything looks so beautifully green!

Then it was a nice wee wander across the fields and popped out just above the distillery – definitely closed for now. I keep thinking I should pop in one of these days :lol:

From here it was a couple of metres along the road back to my car where there was a runner changing out of her kit. We agreed it had been a perfect evening 8)

Finally_got_views_in_the_Campsies_.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland