walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Creag Pitridh from Loch Pattack

Creag Pitridh from Loch Pattack

Postby paulG2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Has anyone done Beinn a'Chlachair, Geal Charn and Creag Pitridh from Loch Pattack? The only issue I can see is the river crossing at Alt Cam. Given the heavy rain recently - it could be a challenging.

Paul
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:172   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   Donalds:9

Re: Creag Pitridh from Loch Pattack

Postby weedavie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:13 pm

Yes, it's pretty straightforward - this is what I did a few yeas ago. The stepping stones would only be tricky with a good bit of rainfall.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53722
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:59 pm

I did 180 degrees of the circle a few years ago, crossing the Allt Cam near Lock Pattack by means of rubble bags.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74925

I don't think the rainfall had been especially heavy in the days leading up to it, but I don't think I could have boulder-jumped across it.

You might want to take a pair of rubble bags with you anyway: it's a great expedient for crossing streams.

If you get quarter way decent weather, you will enjoy the trip: it's a wonderful area.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby paulG2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks, would never have thought of rubble bags, had thought of Clogs as I am taking my bike. Also, I seen a post that the bridge is down due to the wild winter storms so looks like 2 river crossings. Your journey was absolutely epic ! Thanks for replying
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Postby paulG2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 am

weedavie wrote:Yes, it's pretty straightforward - this is what I did a few yeas ago. The stepping stones would only be tricky with a good bit of rainfall.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53722

Cheers for that, I just heard that the bridge Is down. But the Ford should be ok.
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:25 am

The ford at Loch Pattack can be tricky if there has been a lot of rain,we had bikes and found it tricky getting across but that was 10 years ago,if your going that way.
The Allt Cam was ok,shin deep as I remember.

Pic of Allt Cam
Captureloik.PNG
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Essan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 pm

The bridge at Loch Pattack (where the Allt a Chaoil-reidhe enters it) was destroyed earlier this year, not sure if it has been replaced yet with everyone else going on.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95777
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby paulG2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:The ford at Loch Pattack can be tricky if there has been a lot of rain,we had bikes and found it tricky getting across but that was 10 years ago,if your going that way.
The Allt Cam was ok,shin deep as I remember.

Pic of Allt Cam
Captureloik.PNG

Thanks, helpful to have a pic of the crossing. My analysis is that there probably has been a lot of rain recently so both the crossing where the bridge is and Al Cam might be quite lively.
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Postby paulG2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 pm

Essan wrote:The bridge at Loch Pattack (where the Allt a Chaoil-reidhe enters it) was destroyed earlier this year, not sure if it has been replaced yet with everyone else going on.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95777

Yes I reckon that assuming it is down Would be the best planning approach
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Postby weedavie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 am

The two burns are completely different. The Allt Cam I remember as tricky, hopping from rock to rock and with decent sized stones under the surface so you'd have to watch your step. The Allt a Chaoil-reidhe has a really user-friendly bottom. I remember cycling across it when it was rather deeper than I had thought. At least half the circuit of the pedals was underwater but the bed of the stream was smooth. With impetus and a bit of a paddle steamer effect, I got across. Mind you, if I'd come off, there would have been considerable water-logging.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion