walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

New member, looking for information

New member, looking for information

Postby mmousset » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 am

Hello everybody,

I'm from the Netherlands and planning a trip to Scotland. There is a lot of information on the internet about some great tracks in Scotland, but it's hard to find the right one. Maybe you can help me?

I would like to hike 3 days (50 - 60 km, 40 miles) in Scotland, seeing both mountains and lakes. I would like to stay in small hotels/hostels/b&b etc.

I would like to hear your recommendations en tips!
mmousset
Wanderer

Re: New member, looking for information

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:50 pm

If you have just a few days, a lot will depend on whether you will have a car or are on public transport.

If you have a car, staying in the Glencoe / Kinlochleven area gives you a vast choice of walks and scenery, as well as a lot of different accommodation options.

If you are on public transport, then you can get to that area by bus, but it might take up valuable holiday time. Pitlochry, however, has a rail station, a variety of accommodation, and fine mountain, lake and forest scenery. It is not so dramatic as the Glencoe area but sometimes has better weather.

Many walks in both these areas are described in detail on this website.

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:09 pm

I believe Fort William would be a good base, as it has road, bus and rail links with many different areas. Glen Coe is a short day trip away, Arisaig and Mallaig are a short train ride along the scenic west highland line, Loch Ness is just up the Great Glen by bus or hitch hike. Or trek up Glen Nevis to see the Steall waterfall. And there are pubs... :D If you only spend a few days here you will wish you had more time... Best if you watch a movie called Local Hero... :D

Loch Gary#3.jpg
All Scotland lies before you...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Wee Mum » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi Caberfeidh, could you tell me the name of the loch in your photo please? I remember, as a little girl (many moons ago) seeing the loch from the exact same position where it looks like part of a map of Scotland, and I’ve wanted to take my daughter to see it, but just could not remember the name or location.
Wee Mum
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:3

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:45 pm

Wee Mum wrote:Hi Caberfeidh, could you tell me the name of the loch in your photo please? I remember, as a little girl (many moons ago) seeing the loch from the exact same position where it looks like part of a map of Scotland, and I’ve wanted to take my daughter to see it, but just could not remember the name or location.

In case Caberfeidh doesn’t see this, I ‘ll take the liberty of letting you know - it is Loch Garry, seen from the A87 between Invergarry and Cluanie Inn.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Wee Mum » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:41 pm

Tim, cheers for that !!
Wee Mum
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...