walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Should I go?

Should I go?

Postby Gimbob » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi all looking for a bit of advice, up to the lakes at the end of July for a wild camp and climb and seeing as that's a 5hr drive for me, I'm tempted to carry on up to Glencoe afterwards for another one night camp and climb but I'm wondering are the local residents as hostile and unwelcoming at the moment as some are claiming?
I like to visit local shops pubs and restaurants where I can but know some may not be keen on stranger's.
I'm weary to keep as low a profile as possible anyway but I've heard that some landowners and locals are being particularly hostile in Scotland
Gimbob
Mountaineer

Re: Should I go?

Postby Backpacker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:01 pm

TBH I’ve not seen or read anything unless you’re talking about the numpties at the border, as it’s toward the end of the month I don’t see any problems unless we go into lockdown again
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby StevieC » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:26 am

Backpacker wrote:TBH I’ve not seen or read anything unless you’re talking about the numpties at the border, as it’s toward the end of the month I don’t see any problems unless we go into lockdown again

I've not seen them myself, but there's been lots of reports in the news about villages putting up signs telling people to go home etc. More towards the start of lockdown to be fair, so hopefully things have calmed down a lot by now and will calm down further going forward
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 pm

I think the pitchfork mentality was after the first relaxation of the lockdown measures, some people were travelling much further than 5 miles. You'll be okay as long as you respect others with the usual physical distancing etc.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby davekeiller » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 pm

I think probably Glencoe would be OK. I think the problems were more centred around areas with an hour's drive of the central belt, particularly on the east side of Loch Lomond.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby denfinella » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:17 pm

I don't think you should let a hostile minority put you off. I doubt you'll see much of that anyway.

But do respect physical distancing, and read up on the different guidance in Scotland vs. England, e.g. masks being mandatory in shops.

Mind you, it's a long extra drive for a single night! Is it worth it, bearing in mind you could be enjoying the Lakes / Dales / Southern Uplands etc. during those 10 extra hours spent in the car?
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Booga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:09 pm

By the end of July you will have had a week or two to see what the situation is like, I'm also considering a trip in late July/early August and it's a long drive North for me too so will be checking social media, websites etc after the 15th to see what people's experiences have been. I can imagine some popular spots might initially suffer from a surge of visitors in the first week but if you're visiting later and stay sensible I'd say you'd be ok.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion