walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Litter on the hills

Re: Litter on the hills

Postby JohnSound » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Criffel car park was full to capacity almost all day today, 14/15/16 cars in at any one time, all considerately parked though with plenty of space to manoeuvre.

I went down for my daily litter pick tonight expecting the worst, but found nothing! For the first time since we reopened the car park, it was completely clear.

I suspect the difference is that now the 5 mile advice has been lifted and beer gardens are open, all the glass bottle, energy drink can, fag packet, takeaway bag types have found another place to keep themselves occupied and left the hill to the hillwalkers.
JohnSound
Wanderer

Munros:3   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:18+6
Sub 2000:28   Hewitts:3
Islands:4

Postby KatTai » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:I have tried to pick up litter I find on the hills for a number of years now. I take the attitude that if it bothers me, there's no point in moaning about it, do something. Since lockdown, my wife and I have taken to litter picking in our local park and it's looking pretty good. Better still, we seem to have encouraged a few other people to do the same. I try not to focus on the mindless stupidity of those who litter, rather than improvement we can make. We have had a lot of encouragement from park users too which is nice.

Same here, after the dogs have done their business I walk along picking up bits of litter until the poo bag is full (they don't usually do big poops so a lot of space in the bag, managed to fit a small takeaway container in the bag the other day along with some crisp/sweet packets) plus the dogs themselves have taken to collecting plastic bottles and things to carry to the bin. Confusing though, if a dog can figure out litter belongs in a bin why can't people? It does make a difference and it is nice walking along and finding no litter.

litter.jpg
Zena with her litter find from earlier this week, she spotted another bottle while walking to the bin and after the one she had was binned she pulled back to get the other one!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby denfinella » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:46 pm

The litter situation in Scotland really has gone to the dogs.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby KatTai » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:22 pm

denfinella wrote:The litter situation in Scotland really has gone to the dogs.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paws On Plastic - it's an actual thing!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 pm

Had a kit-test wildcamp at Loch Humphrey, Kilpatrick Braes a couple of nights ago. Three separate fire pits (where there used to be one) and litter all around.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Spade » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Terrible that some folk just don't care where they dump their junk (Probably a lifestyle behaviour) I do feel on the hills were not far off the same as the oceans for plastic pollution. Some folk are very inconsiderate and just don't care. :(
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Booga » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 pm

It seems that some people have an attitude problem in this country where they want to have fun without any responsibility and presume there is someone who will clear up after them.
Kielder forest park have just posted on facebook saying they're not allowing wild camping for the rest of the year because of the mess made by some folks recently. :(
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:50 pm

Booga wrote:It seems that some people have an attitude problem in this country where they want to have fun without any responsibility and presume there is someone who will clear up after them.
Kielder forest park have just posted on facebook saying they're not allowing wild camping for the rest of the year because of the mess made by some folks recently. :(

I've seen the pics on Facebook of burnt artwork, abandoned tents, burnt tables, abandoned chairs and piles of bottles, cans, plastic etc. How stupid are people that think it's OK to light fires in a massive forest? Apparently locals who challenged some overnighters during lockdown suffered abuse and threats. I was told that just over the border there was similar carnage at a picnic spot, with food boxes from well known fast foot outlets left. They must have been carried there for at least 20 miles.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby al78 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:06 am

There will always be people who think externalising costs and consequences is fair game.

For centuries, humans on a global scale have been releasing waste into the atmosphere, rivers and oceans, treating the Earth as an infinite capacity waste tip, and trashing ecosystems for resource extraction, so it is no real surprise when individuals behave in the same way on a local scale. Humans are a terribly dangerous and destructive animal on this planet.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:08 am

Border Reiver wrote:Apparently locals who challenged some overnighters during lockdown suffered abuse and threats.

What a shame the locals didn't smash their faces in. Internalise the consequences of nasty behaviour and nasty attitudes.
al78
Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:35 am

al78 wrote:What a shame the locals didn't smash their faces in.

Steady-on Rambo, the locals would have faced consequences from a significant period of imprisonment to themselves getting seriously injured - or killed - by the litterers who were then in a position where they quite legally defended themselves.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby al78 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
al78 wrote:What a shame the locals didn't smash their faces in.

Steady-on Rambo, the locals would have faced consequences from a significant period of imprisonment to themselves getting seriously injured - or killed - by the litterers who were then in a position where they quite legally defended themselves.

Yes, but at least they would have faced consequences for their crappy actions and attitude. The disadvantage of being unable to retailate in a hard meaningful way is that is gives free reign for the nasty and the bullies to carry on with their behaviour without comeback. If bad actions reliably had severe consequences, I'd bet there would be many fewer bad actions.

An alternative is to hear their threats and call their bluff, and if they attack, the locals would be in the position to batter them in the name of self defence.

The civilised often behave worse than savages, because they know they can do or say what they want without fear of having their skull caved in.
al78
Walker

Postby Driftwood » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Maybe rewilding with wolves, and especially bears, is the answer?

Bears could tidy up the perpetrators, soon dealing with the issue!
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Manwaeadug » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Looking around the streets, never mind hills, it's apparent that throwing litter to the ground is a social norm amongst many. Maybe it's time authorities cracked down properly on the more widespread problem of littering, dumping rubbish etc and it may change peoples mindset about leaving rubbish behind. Just a thought.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:28 am

Rather than the hang and flog em narrative, which has its place, we need to accept that years of austerity have meant that local authorities have very limited ability to both enforce and act on the litter issue., those of us who genuinely care about this issue, could perhaps promote the idea cleaning up as we go. Learn to appreciate our contribution to releiving the problem. People, rightly it has to be said, are taking to fora like WH and raising it as an issue, clearly has a limited impact. Take some satisfaction from what we as individuals are able to do. If you see it, pick it up!
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion