walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

sexist womens gear

sexist womens gear

Postby vixi_s » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:49 am

Looking to get some new walking gear and so annoyed and frustrated at what's out there for women. Everything in pink, purple and teal, where's the olive, brown, grey stuff that the men all get. I love the cut of mens outdoor gear as well, all the womens stuff is nipped in at the waist and short on the body, tight round the legs, I'm not after showing off my body on a bloody hill walk! Apart from buying mens small sizes of decent gear does anyone have any suggestions for decent womens outdoor stuff?
vixi_s
Walker

Re: sexist womens gear

Postby Skyelines » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:13 pm

As a bloke I am no expert on women's clothing however many (many) years ago I worked for an outdoor gear retailer and have had an eye on how the sector has changed over the years.

At the budget end of the market I think you will be hard pressed to find what you are looking for as that is aimed at the widest market and not just the serious hillwalker/outdoors enthusiast.
At the higher end there are makers of good quality clothing in sensible shades. Also the smaller market for fieldsports have clothing in subdued colours.
Manufacturers such as Paramo, Fjallraven, Harkilla, Seeland and Pinewood are worth a look and try googling fieldsports clothing as there are probably others.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby vixi_s » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:48 pm

It’s good to hear your comments. It’s so frustrating that at the lower end of the market there isn’t more choice for women, I can’t afford the good stuff which means I’m relegated to a world of pastel shades and rubbish fabrics or choosing men’s small sizes which don’t tend to fit women’s smaller frames well.

If anyone knows of any good women’s budget lower end retailers I’d love to hear suggestions. Paramo and Patagonia are fab but just can’t afford them.
vixi_s
Walker

Postby prog99 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Have you tried decathlon?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby xtina89 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Would second Decathlon - lots of decent women's clothing that comes in colours other than pink or purple.
xtina89
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:10   Islands:12

Postby gld73 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:52 pm

There was somewhere selling 1-person tents a couple of years ago ... the ones marketed as for women came in either pink or floral!

And the range of Deuter Futura backpacks for women came with a 'detachable flower bobble' . I still have no idea what function that was meant to perform when out in the hills ... maybe the petals closed when facing north and it was a form of compass... :-?
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Sexist men's gear too... I'd love pink, purple, magenta and teal options for me.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:53 am

I find it annoying that men's clothing (not just for hiking, but everyday clothing) comes in naught but dull grey/black/dark blue/beige. It's not that I want to go around looking like Adam Ant, but a little style would be good.

Cabervestite.jpg
One bothy night...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 am

Marty_JG wrote:Sexist men's gear too... I'd love pink, purple, magenta and teal options for me.

100%

Always wanted a purple down jacket.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:05 pm

I used to have a purple down jacket, by Rab. Early 1990s.

GlenCoe#2hdrR.jpg
Somewhere on the shoulder of Bidean, Glen Coe. Possibly Feb 1993/4
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby vixi_s » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:30 pm

It's so annoying isn't it that we are pushed into these little boxes, if you are a man you must only want to wear dull colours and if you are a woman ofcourse all you will be interested in is pastel shades of pink!

So interesting what someone said above about a tent being marketed as a "womans tent" how on earth does that work!!!???

I've got two boys and we all regularly despair when clothes shopping for them as all they get in the boys section is boring navy and green trousers and dinosaur t shirts, so we've ended up going in the girls section where all the fun sequin, shiny, frilly, rainbow, unicorn stuff is - why wouldnt you want that stuff if you were a kid of either sex, never met a kid yet who would rather have the nice sensible boring plain t shirt over the one covered in glitter and sparkles!
vixi_s
Walker

Postby Essan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:15 pm

So long as it is available in black I don;t care.

I see no need for any other colour

: :lol:
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:07 pm

Essan wrote:So long as it is available in black I don't care.

Good for you... Goths during August always give me a laugh. Those lads get so warm their mascara runs. :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Ian Johnston » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:00 am

Hi Victoria,

Take a look at Alpkit. Well designed, good quality gear for both men and women at keen prices and more standard colour ranges

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby bydand_loon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:55 am

if my wife wants drab colours, she goes to fjallraven
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk