walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not quite a Murder Mystery: The West Highland Way Novel

Not quite a Murder Mystery: The West Highland Way Novel

by zatapathique » Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 05/10/2003

Time taken: 7 days

Distance: 157 km

Ascent: 3200m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Not quite a Murder Mystery: The West Highland Way Novel

Postby zatapathique » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Alteknacker wrote:A really great entertaining read; and well done the Mrs! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, the Mrs can be quite tough when she chooses to be. ;-)

Alteknacker wrote:I've only walked a short bit of the WHW, namely about 7km of the last section from Kinlochleven on my way back from walking in the Mamores. Unlike you, I found the pebbly track really hard on the feet, and I vowed there and then never to attempt it.

Is Mrs Z joining you in your Munro quest??

She's not joining me in my Munro quest, as she doesn't feel in shape enough - besides, it's the two weeks in the year when she doesn't have to put up with me, and she seems to enjoy that very much. ;-)

This year is quite tough for her, as I haven't been on any business trip yet, and on top of that had to cancel my usual two weeks in Scotland (would have happened a month ago). So now she's sending me away for a camping trip with my siblings in Brittany next week, and she's adamant about staying at home alone with the cats.

Thank you Bonzo and Alba Bhoy as well for your kind comments. :-)
zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Postby klevas » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:25 pm

This was a delight to read. Loved following other people in your story - Rita, the Germans, the Belgian... :D
klevas
Wanderer

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:2

Postby zatapathique » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:56 pm

klevas wrote:This was a delight to read. Loved following other people in your story - Rita, the Germans, the Belgian... :D

Thank you klevas. Indeed that's what made the WHW so special for me both times I walked it. "Following" other people, even those you don't talk to regularly. It's also a great occasion for behaviour research. :wink:
zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Postby zatapathique » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:29 pm

campbellski wrote:Nice read, makes me want to read "The Hills are Stuffed with Swedish Girls" again.

By the way the clans for the cairn are the MacDonalds (add a stone) and the Campbells (remove a stone).

Thank you so much for recommending me "The hills are stuffed with Swedish girls". I've just finished reading it, and I loved every single page of it. I read a lot, but this was unlike any other book I've read so far. It started out as a good read to laugh out loud, absurd and silly. But then it surprised me by going quite deep, getting more and more serious, and quite moving in the end.
It's not what I had in mind writing myself after I had finished the WHW in 2003 (I more thought of a murder mystery), but I'd say it's one of two books I'd love to have written myself (the other being "Republic of Nothing" by Lesley Choyce).
zatapathique
Mountain Walker

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes