walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane - 2nd Munro

Ben Vane - 2nd Munro

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:41 am

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 18/07/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 930m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I thought i'd pop my walk report cherry with Tammy and myselfs 2nd Munro, so go easy on me if i start to jibber!! :lol:

Having bagged Ben Lomond 6 weeks ago (from when we did Ben Vane) for charity (It was meant to be a one off!!! :lol: ) and having bagged a few smaller hills, we had definitely caught the bug!!! So we decided it was time to up the ante slightly, and Ben Vane seemed to fit the bill perfectly (and it did!!! :D ). Parked at Inveruglas Visitor Centre, and took the tarmac road towards Loch Sloy, as per the website. The hill was steep, slightly airy in places (for a pair of amateurs :lol: ), had a couple of short but fun scrambles, and stunning views across Loch Lomond, Loch Arklet, and Loch Katrine.

The walk in on the tarmac road that leads to the Loch Sloy Dam, was a surprisingly enjoyable one, with fab views of Ben Vorlich, and A'Chrois, and of course, todays target of Ben Vane. As the road swung round towards the Dam, we took the left fork and over the burn, and then a right onto the hill around 400m further on. The ground was very boggy from the start, but well worth the slog for the views that open up over the Loch Sloy Dam to your right and Loch Lomond, Arklet and Katrine behind you.
SDC12730.JPG
Loch Sloy Dam and Ben Vorlich
SDC12731.JPG
Loch Lomond, Loch Arklet, Loch Katrine

Once we got over the halfwaymark , the boggy stuff gave way and the crags began to appear, eventually leading to our 1st small scramble, just what we had been looking for. I bravely let Tammy lead the way!! :lol:

SDC12740.JPG
Tammy leading the way on our 1st scramble

Up until now, the weather hadn't been too bad with the tops clear, but as we neared the summit (false one of course!!!! :| ) the cloud started rolling along the top of Ben Vorlich to our right.
SDC12742.JPG
Ben Vorlich disappearing into the cloud

As we got towards the summit, the view behind us towards Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond, with A'Chrois in the foreground, was nothing short of stunning.

SDC12746.JPG
Ben Lomond, Loch Lomond and A'Chrois

Just as we were beginning to wonder if Ben Vane was secretly a hill of never ending false summits, we came across only the second group of walkers of the day, who assured us it was a wee scramble and 5 mins from the summit... and they weren't wrong... Good times!!!!
SDC12748.JPG
Final scramble before the summit

SDC12749.JPG
Narnain, The Cobbler and Ime from the summit
SDC12752.JPG
Cloud just about missing the peaks of the Crianlarich Hills
SDC12756.JPG
Feeling the chill in July!!
SDC12757.JPG
Yours truely also feeling a wee nip in the air

We had been slightly concerned about the descent, due to all the crags, but we pretty much retraced our steps without too many hassles. All in all Ben Vane is a great hill if you are inexperienced like us, path is fairly easy to follow ( though we did lose it briefly on the descent after the crags!! :lol: ). Steeper than we had anticipated, and slightly airy in bits to a couple of people that usually suffer vertigo 3 rungs up a ladder, but it all added to the sense of achievement :D I'd definitely recommend it.
Last edited by lomondwalkers on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Ben Vane - 2nd Munro

Postby magicdin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Good first report - Ben Vane is a great wee hill :D - and steep
I seem to remember reading that the southern side of the hill above Coiregrogain is one of the steepest grass slopes in the Scottish hills
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland