walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Mor and Friends, Four Fannichs Over Two Days

Sgurr Mor and Friends, Four Fannichs Over Two Days

Postby Coutts94 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:15 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mòr and the eastern Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Mòr

Date walked: 16/06/2020

Time taken: 15 hours

Distance: 24 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi All!

So I climbed the Four Eastern Fannichs over two days, I have no pictures but i do have a handy youtube video :D

Day One

So on Day one i parked at the Torrandhu Bridge car park, and walked in through the plantation forrest. I had my Spaniel Lexi for company and going through the woods i dropped my lead and lost it :( this was not the start I wanted for a long day on the hills.

So i carried on anyway, knowing that Lexi should stay close and not disturb any wildlife, and made my way up to the first Munro Beinn Liath Mor, I took the long diverted route Via Loch Sgeirach, which was beautiful. When I reached the loch I realized that i had made a mistake. It was 23-24 Degrees and doing the long ridge with Lexi was probably going to be too much. I carried on and completed Beinn Liath Mor and then made the decision to turn back.. it was a painful one as Sgurr Mor looked beautiful in the sun but the ridge walk in the heat with a lack of water and lead was daunting.

Day Two

So I returned Solo and completed the other three munros in an anticlockwise direction, doing An Coileachan, Meall Gorm and Sgurr Mor. This time i cycled through the woods (not great cycling in, but a godsend on the way back). The day was a great success and had my first real experience of clag, as shown in the video there was not a breathe of wind and no visibility on Sgurr Mor. Pretty Scary :shock: :lol: The only mistake i made was trying to shortcut my way back following the river back to the plantation ( DO NOT TAKE MY GPX ROUTE ) The descent down from Sgurr Mor to Loch Li was dangerously steep and there is only one route through the crags and cliffs. I should have just descented Via Beinn Liath Mor Fanniach, but you live and learn, I should really have checked my map before deciding to descend that way.

So all in all a great couple of days in the Fannichs, Lexi enjoyed her first munro and I enjoyed the rest. Hope you enjoy the Video.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland