walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seana Bhraigh, Eididh and me.

Seana Bhraigh, Eididh and me.

Postby JimboJim » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:06 pm

Route description: Seana Bhràigh

Munros included on this walk: Eididh nan Clach Geala, Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 12/07/2020

Time taken: 8.9 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1315m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, we're off! Lockdown has been relaxed and a wee warm up on Stob Coire Sgreamhach with Marina, Stob Dearg with my champion of a daughter, Lauren, then Gulvain, with the lads, my first new munro since November, I was given a free pass, so decided to make the most of it and headed north for the Aultguish Inn, for the night. After my usual mental anguish trying to decide what hill to aim for (anyone else have that same problem?), I enjoyed a nice beer and meal, frequently checking forecasts, after the soaking we'd had, earlier in the day on Gulvain.

Perhaps, it was anxieties about Covid, but more likely the excitement of a big hike, I arose early, much earlier than planned, so was able to take a more leisurely time to prepare and get some breakfast in me. A chicken noodle cup-a-soup, chicken pasta among other things were best I could do within my room :) Once ready, I headed west looking for the start point at Inverlael and as usual, started to think I had missed it, however the nerve held long enough to prevent me from turning back and I was relieved to see the phone box and car park, just at the right time. Not much signs of life at 6.30 a.m. :lol:
It was a bit murky, but hopefully the weather would be much kinder. I had my fears about the long wander into the back of beyond, especially if the cloud, or rain closed in. Had to do a bit of checking taking right forest tracks, especially the one after Glensguaib, which is obscured somewhat by summer growth. The steep going soon makes the pleasant approach a thing of the past, but the good thing was it made me stop to draw breath and in doing so, turned to get my first amazing view of An Teallach, especially dramatic in the early light. Wonderful, but who could I tell?
001.JPG
Stop for a breather at 7 a.m., turnaround and get this!

Moving out from the forest the track becomes more peaty and squelchy here and there, but the gradient has been put behind me and makes for easier going. Vis isn't too bad, but I can't make out any hills, cloud covered as they are. Not to worry, I am confident I am on the right track and the feeling of freedom, no lockdown, no one else just me, is nice for a while.
039.JPG
Moor and moor! Some of the long way in ..... and out.

Crossing the Allt Gleann a' Mhadaidh, was no problem, so it was just a matter of staying on track across the desolate moor, gradually rising around An Socach, toward the lochan's. And then, just like that, the track ends, or does it? Mmmh? Bit of searching, checking soon put me right as to where to cross the burn and circle the pretty little lochan and again, hooking onto the track through the pass here. Felt a bit lonely, spooky, as I knew I was getting well out on a limb, with the more tricky part still to navigate.
Seana Bhraidh 150_1024_768.JPG
One of the nice lochan's, on the way out. Much murkier on the way in.
047.jpg
Early views of Seana Braigh, still a long way off ..... and not as easy to get to as one might imagine.

The WH's route notes are then spot on, as one emerges onto even more featureless landscape and the track evaporates. A few tiny "cairns" did help me for a while, but then I must have lost my bearings a bit, being lured by seeing my target, into taking a more direct route. Fortunately, with visibility being so good, there was no chance (or, not much :D ) of me just walking off the crags which barred my route. In fog, I daresay that risk would not be impossible.
047a.JPG
Looking back. I think the large quartzite stone near where I dropped down is just about visible? One wouldn't want to drop down much to the right of that!
046.JPG
A big lump of stone, sitting on a big lump of stone. Not far from where I dropped off the crag.

Anyway, I handrailed the crags till finding a huge chunk of quartzite and suitable nearby gully to descend toward the Gate of Ca'- derg and the fine crags around the corrie. Decided to take in the 905, spot and the fine views into Luchd Choire. Magnificent, also! From there it was just another 20 minutes around the rim of the corrie and onto the summit of Seana Bhraigh. Wow, wasn't expecting that! Steep drop off and not too far at all from the windshelter. Other people have described the views better, but despite not being too clear, could make out some hills in Assynt, Stac Pollaidh, Beinn Dearg 4, Fannich's, Torridon, Fisherfield and of course, An Teallach. A lot of film was expended - well, it would have been if things weren't digital :lol:
076.JPG
Looking over to Eididh na Clach Geala, sizing up the possibility of doing it too. You know you want to! A finer looking nan Clach Geala, in the Fannich's, beyond.
077.jpg
Coigach hills beyond summit, of Seana Bhraidh.
081.JPG
Round the rim of Luchd Choire.
082.jpg
Luchd Choire. Magnificent!
083.jpg
Luchd Choire
087.JPG
Yours truly, failing to look the daredevil.
048.jpg
Stac Pollaidh, among them.

On the way in, I had spent some time sizing up possible diversion to do Eididh nan Clach Geala. The idea appealed, even if the legs might have other thoughts. Viewed from here and checking on map, suggested it could be do-able. Let's just wait till we're in the neighborhood, I thought, as I finished another sandwich and drink. I took the more direct route of return, skirting round the top of the crags of Cadha Dearg, as close as I dare.
091.JPG
Coigach hills. Ben More Coigach, Beinn an Eoin, Sgorr Tuath, Stac Pollaidh, Cul Beag.
093.JPG
Three of the Beinn Dearg 4.
109.JPG
One of the many steep drops into the Cadha Dearg.
110.jpg
Gleann a' Chadha Dheirg.
088.JPG
Cona' Mheall

I managed to find the same gully I had descended and made my way more directly to back toward the established tracks along the Allt an Lochan Sgeirich. I could see a couple of options for heading off to the Clach Geala. The legs were a bit weary, but time was still on my side. Is there much point doing it now? Maybe not, but I thought it would only cost me an hour, hour and a half, so just do it! Fortunately, the ground in between held no great problems and all went to plan. I think it was just about 35 minutes off my track.
124.JPG
Summit cairn on Eididh nan Clach Geala, over to Meall nan Ceapraichean and Beinn Dearg.
125.jpg
Over Lochan a' Chnapaich to Meall nan Ceapraichean and Beinn Dearg, beyond.
126.JPG
Seana Bhraidh, from Eididh nan Clach Geala. Ben Klibreck, just to right of Seana Bhraidh.
128.JPG
Over to Sgurr Mor and Sgurr nan Clach Geala.

The views are definitely better to the south from the hill rather than viewing the hill from the north :) Took plenty more pics, refueled and again, mulled over options. Getting carried away now, I thought I could even head over Meall nan Ceapraichean, then out. A fairly short excursion ended when I got a better view of the steeper descent and ascent that would involve. Back to EnCG. I could maybe just descend off it to the west, to meet my inbound track? Tried that also, but soon shied away from that, so returned to my original plan, or rejoining the route up by the lochan's. So, all in all, I think taking in the second munro cost me about an hour and twenty/thirty, though I did spend some time faffing about :)
132.JPG
Out to Ullapool.
124a.JPG
That's yours truly on the summit, Eididh nan Clach Geala.
127.JPG
Distant view out to the Torridon hills.

I enjoyed the route back out, as things were generally looking a bit brighter, with a great panorama of hills to feast upon, with the eyes always being drawn back to the sheer spectacle of An Teallach and thoughts along the lines, of "could I ever do that??" I hope so. I skipped and trotted long here and there as the gradient and track was just fine for getting a move on ..... and I still had a four and a half hour trip home ahead :(
141.JPG
Sgurr Fiona.
154.JPG
An Teallach, again!
160.JPG
Looking down on Glensguaib and the way out.
163.JPG
Inverlael.
166.JPG
Glas Meall Liath, An Teallach. Heading home.

Finally, met the first folk of the day at Glensguaib and another chap walking a dog, but that was all I had for company, other than memory upon memory, as I made it back to the car, with the tank running on empty, but the heart and head filled to the brim with the satisfaction of an unbeatable day in the hills. It may have been a long drive, but my head was buzzing the whole way home! :D
Bruno wrote:A great report, most enjoyable. Lovely pictures, too. :clap: :clap:
Last edited by JimboJim on Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Seana Bhraigh, Eididh and me.

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:09 am

Nice report - enjoyed that, thanks.
Seana Bhraigh is one of my favorites along with the other hills around here - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bruno » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:38 pm

A great report, most enjoyable. Lovely pictures, too. :clap: :clap:
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby JimboJim » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 pm

Bruno wrote:A great report, most enjoyable. Lovely pictures, too. :clap: :clap:

rockhopper wrote:Nice report - enjoyed that, thanks.
Seana Bhraigh is one of my favorites along with the other hills around here - cheers :)

Cheers, Bruno, Rockhopper. A big adventure for me. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Big Jesper » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:46 pm

Another great report Jimbo and good pictures as well :o
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

Postby JimboJim » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Big Jesper wrote:Another great report Jimbo and good pictures as well :o

Cheers, Jasper. I think you could run this one :D I sure enjoyed it!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland