walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS Tracker

GPS Tracker

Postby jamiecopeland » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:41 am

Hi

I’m looking for some sort of located device that I can have on me whilst out in the hills. Quite often I’m in areas with no phone signal so my partner gets anxious that I’ve fallen to my untimely death...Ideally I’m after something I can have on me which she can access to check that I’m still walking.

Other than getting a new partner, any suggestions? I’ve looked at BuddyBeacon on here, but cannot get it to work.
jamiecopeland

Re: GPS Tracker

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:47 am

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby jamiecopeland » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:05 am

I was looking at that earlier. It’s the monthly subscription that puts me off.
jamiecopeland

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:55 am

If she's the one wanting to keep tabs on you then make her pay for it? :thumbup:

Otherwise I don't know of any Sat Trak that doesn't have a subscription fee, sorry!
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Jim777 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:08 am

As far as I’m aware all GPS tracker systems are by monthly subscription. Because I normally walk alone in the hills I carry a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) which when triggered transmits a unique serialised ID to the Search and Rescue satellite network which can pinpoint your location anywhere on earth. This signal is beamed back to a Rescue Coordination Centre who then alert the appropriate Rescue Services. I personally use a Fast Find Ranger which once purchased only requires you to register it, free of charge, no subscription charges but you do have to change the batteries once every 6 years. I know this wouldn’t let your partner know exactly where you are but at least she would know that you were always able to summon assistance.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby Scraggygoat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 pm

Will your partners concerns be solved by a tracker? Or will it lead to another level of angst...he's stopped moving, is it lunch, a nap in the sun, or an emergency? How often will she end up watching/worrying?

If you can talk through the above you might find a PLB is the solution, or you might find that it's going to be a tracker with text functionality and an very expensive monthly plan, or alternatively nothing more than an overdue time and an occasional text.

More importantly if you don't switch it off for the drive home, your secret post hill fish suppers going to be rumbled!
Scraggygoat

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk