walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Seventy (!!) parking fines issued at Loch Lomond

Seventy (!!) parking fines issued at Loch Lomond

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:07 am

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/70-drivers-loch-lomond-issued-18701794

Visit Scotland! (But don't use public transport and don't drive).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: Seventy (!!) parking fines issued at Loch Lomond

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 am

No. Visit Scotland but don't park your car where it is going to be a danger and huge inconvenience to other people.Obey the law or suffer the consequences.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 am

There has been some ridiculous parking and there is no excuse for it. Even more worrying is the roadside camping which could result in legislation being introduced.

For places like Rowardennan, it would be good to see some sort of transport infrastructure in place to alleviate the parking issues. Also the toilet closures and lack of, needs urgent attention especially when we are being asked to take staycations, but no easy answers. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby KatTai » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:48 am

No issue with this in fact I think there should be points put on the drivers license as well as a fine, it was people parking dangerously blocking the road risking slowing down an emergency response and causing a nightmare for other visitors who have to navigate through that with no safe places to pass oncoming traffic. Visit Scotland, but don't park like an idiot. If there is no where to park, go somewhere else.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:53 am

I have no sympathy with any of the drivers fined, where the have abandoned their cars ( I won’t say parked) it’s at best irresponsible and selfish, at worst down right dangerous.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby CharlesT » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:36 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:I have no sympathy with any of the drivers fined, where the have abandoned their cars ( I won’t say parked) it’s at best irresponsible and selfish, at worst down right dangerous.

Me too, no sympathy at all. If you're too stupid and selfish to park illegally you deserve to be fined.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Spade » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:28 pm

Wee bit heavy handed, consider what a lot of folk have just went through with lock down, A warning would have sufficed, heavy handed like this just causes upset. Was it so bad to get out for a walk! I read not so long ago the great wish of folk to get out on the hills again!! The country needs a helping hand right now not a parking fine. Lets give our fellow man a wee hand up these days - we can all certainly do with it.
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:18 pm

We were on the other side of Loch Lomond at Inveruglas on the same day, being kind of switched on were there early(ish).
Here is a before and after photo of parking -

Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:47 pm

Wee bit heavy handed, consider what a lot of folk have just went through with lock down, A warning would have sufficed, heavy handed like this just causes upset.

Looking at the Glasgow Live photo - the thing is, they are not parking, they are blocking the road. They are lucky they just got a fine and not towed.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Spade » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Bit harsh none the less, folk have had a very hard time of it with Corona all they are doing is going for a walk. It is busy - however, you can drive past. We need a bit of fair minded at the moment. Give folk a wee break.
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Gordymck » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:32 am

This was at the devil's pulpit on Sat apparently.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200803_002939.jpg
Gordymck
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby denfinella » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:44 am

In the Devil's Pulpit photo, it's immediately obvious that all the cars are illegally parked, so I don't think any of the drivers could reasonably complain if they got a ticket.

In the Balmaha exame, there would perhaps usually be a grey area around what constitutes parking on the side of the road (usually OK) and blocking the road not OK). However in this case I think the road had been designated as a clearway with the exact intent of stopping people parking here. Provided there were signs to that effect, I again think that tickets would be justified.

The Inveruglas one is less clear cut. The cars aren't blocking the road and there aren't any parking restrictions advertised, so I'm not sure if there's actually a rule being broken here. Though of course the damage to the verge isn't ideal.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Tringa » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:04 am

Why do some people do this?

Given that a lot of Scotland has a tiny population density why do hundreds congregate in a few areas? There is so much room it is to find a place where parking would not cause any problem and there would be loads of space.

Dave
Tringa

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:41 am

Cut their tongues out! Then shoot them! Then shoot their tongues! :shock: There is a special place in Hell for mutineers, traitors and people who can't park sensibly in the highlands. This should happen to every perpetrator.
[Except me, obviously.]
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:11 am

Spade wrote:Bit harsh none the less, folk have had a very hard time of it with Corona all they are doing is going for a walk. It is busy - however, you can drive past. We need a bit of fair minded at the moment. Give folk a wee break.

I'm afraid the appeal to emotion does nothing for me. I've heard it too many times with dangerous drivers who get caught and then plead they need to drive or they'll lose their job, kids will suffer, blah blah blah. No-one is penalising anyone for going out for a walk, people are being penalised for parking in a way that is causing an obstruction, or at worst, is dangerous. If the place you want to walk is so rammed full there is literally nowhere to park, go somewhere else. Those of us who live in the overcrowded south east or who want to hike up Snowdon from Pen-y-pass or visit the Lake District on a hot sunny bank holiday have to deal with places being rammed full and parking difficult, and we have to deal with it in a legal manner.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion