walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Woooh oh those Summer Nights - Torridon summit camp

Woooh oh those Summer Nights - Torridon summit camp

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Fionas included on this walk: An Ruadh-mheallan

Date walked: 23/07/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 6.74 km

Ascent: 498m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather was looking good in Torridon and Malky had managed to substitute a bit of leave. We left Inverness after lunch and made relatively good time getting to Kinlochewe (and then significantly slower progress through Torridon itself and out towards Diabaig :roll: )
ImageUpper Loch Torridon

We managed to miss David – we couldn’t see his van in the village so assumed he’d headed up the road already, but it turns out he was at a different café :lol: He caught us up as we stopped at the viewpoint for a photo. The cloud looked to be clearing as forecasted 8)
ImageBealach na Gaoithe viewpoint

ImageVery happy to be in Torridon!

We parked up another km on from the viewpoint. Although there were no cars around there were three tents pitched high above the road – hopefully they were cyclists and not hoping to park their cars nearby :lol:
ImageLoch Diabaigas Airde

David had faffing to do, and I knew I would be slow so we got going. There were the scratchings of a path to begin with (which sadly didn’t last!) but the ground, although wet, wasn’t as bad as some of the nonsense I’d been walking over recently :roll:

David caught us up pretty quickly – I only just had time to stop for a pee :lol: There were plenty of lumps and bumps to walk over which made for slow going.
ImageAn Ruadh-mheallan ahead

ImageDavid rolling his eyes at Malky farting (probably)

ImageLooking back to Loch nan Tri-eileanan

Once over the lumps and bumps we were onto the steep section. Again there were wee bits of paths or animal tracks which we picked up and then lost. David stopped to pick up water (Malky was dutifully carrying 4 litres for us :lol: )

ImageDavid taking a rest (for me, of course)

We headed for the broad ridge which made for slightly easier walking (but still steep!) but the views were really opening out now as we approached the summit
ImageUpper Loch Torridon and Ben Shieldaig

ImageNearly there!

And finally we had made it! There was discussion over where the actual summit was, but the consensus was that it was this boulder 8)
ImageMalky on the summit boulder!

ImageJaxtering on the summit

ImageAn Ruadh-mheallan summit

Unfortunately the cloud rolled in, which along with the wind made it very chilly. We all dived to put on extra clothes before attempting to select the best pitches for our tents.

ImageLooking straight down Loch Damh in the mist

Tents up and extra clothes on – the next thing to do was dinner!
ImageTents pitched

Somebody had forgotten to chill their beer….
ImageMalky's beer fridge

ImageDavid with his rump steak & extra virgin olive oil

With dinner finished we were able to enjoy views as the cloud moved in and out. I wasn’t concerned – the MET office said it would clear before sunset!
ImageMisty reflections

ImageSun starting to drop beyond Redpoint

ImageFearnmore on the tip of the Shieldaig peninsula with Rona behind

The cloud really was clearing and it was turning into a beautiful evening. We all sat out to enjoy the views (kept warm by our sleeping bag cloaks – very nice and toasty but annoying when trying to take photos :lol: )
ImageDavid and Malky settling in with beer and hot chocolate

ImageBaosbheinn

ImageUpper Loch Torridon, Beinn Damh & Beinn Shieldaig

ImageSun doing its thing

ImageNot a bad spot to pitch a tent

ImageBeinn Alligin - we had summit camped up there last year, but there was no way I'd make it up there at the moment

ImageLovely colours over Torridon

ImageSun hitting Bainn na Chapuill above Arnisdale in the distance

ImageBazinga!

ImageCloud rolling in

ImageAmazing reflections on the water

As we sat out, the wind dropped and we weren’t even that cold (or maybe that was the hip flask that Malky had dug out :lol: )
ImageBit of fluff sitting on the lower hills

ImageVery slim moon

ImageThe lights of Gairloch

ImageThis could be Jupiter (and/or Saturn) over our tent

I stayed out a bit longer trying to get some pictures of stars (might as well make use of the tripod I persuaded Malky to carry up for me :lol: ) but they all turned out a bit rubbish :lol:

It took me a while to get to sleep – I think Malky had picked the flatter side of the tent, and when I was cold he went on snoring rather than try to warm me up :lol:

My alarm went off at 4.30am to see if the sunrise was worth getting up for (I was on strict instructions not to wake anyone else, although Malky in the same tent got the raw end of that deal :lol: ) On poking my head out I reckoned it was looking good 8)
ImageCloud on the loch the next morning

However, looking the other direction, the light behind Baosbheinn was incredible and the whole sky was lit up 8)
ImageOooft those colours!

ImageBeinn Alligin

ImageEnjoying the sunrise on my own!

ImageAmazing light on Beinn a' Chearcaill, Meall a' Ghiubhais and what Malky thinks is the western Fannaichs in the distance

ImageRays

ImageBouncy red light hitting the loch

ImageBouncy red light on Beinn Damh and Beinn na h-Eaglaise (also Beinn Bhan above Applecross)

After all that excitement it was shortly after 5 – time for a few hours more sleep before the boys would be up :lol:
ImageBack to bed then!

Again I didn’t sleep very well, and just as I had got back to sleep the alarm went off of course :roll: Malky got the hot chocolate on and I munched my way through a packet of cereal rather than risk the burned porridge :lol:

Following the amazing sunrise, the cloud was rolling around again and it was very grey outside. We packed up the tents and made ready to go.
ImageBack into the mist

We tried to follow a similar route to our ascent but somehow managed to keep ending up on the steep sections :roll: Fortunately my knee seemed to be behaving and going downhill my useless lungs weren’t that bothered anyway!
ImageA settlement

The tents were still there from the night before and were looking more and more abandoned – the boys had a wander over to see what the story was – surely no-one would abandon that much equipment?! :shock: :crazy:
ImageMalky and David going to inspect the tents

I was very relieved to be back at the car – but it had been an awesome night. It was good to get in a summit camp as I wasn’t sure I’d be able to manage one 8)
ImageColonel Mustard and David's van

We were running late – Malky was supposed to be meeting a friend to take him up Alligin. There was no way I’d be able to get even halfway up sadly, so I was going for a stroll around some lochs – better than nothing! 8)

An_Ruadh_mheallan_summit_camp.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Woooh oh those Summer Nights - Torridon summit camp

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:44 pm

Good to see you're continuing to get better......and still as level headed as ever :lol: :wink: Nice result, not often the forecast is accurate - clag clearing to give a nice sunset & sunrise then it rolls back in - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:16 am

Good stuff and hopefully the recovery continues. :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby SMRussell » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:45 am

Cracking :clap: Supremely jealous :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:52 am

A solo sunrise when everybody is sleeping is always special.

Funnily enough, I was looking up at the hill when we were at Craig bothy in The Before Times back in February, thinking that I bet the views were fabulous up there for a summit camp. That combination of mountains and sea is simply wonderful.

Glad you guys got a proper camp in. I've managed 3 local wild camps by the river since "lockdown", and a couple on a campsite, but on 11 total this year, I am somewhat behind my original target to beat 2019's 60 nights under canvas!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm

rockhopper wrote:Good to see you're continuing to get better......and still as level headed as ever :lol: :wink: Nice result, not often the forecast is accurate - clag clearing to give a nice sunset & sunrise then it rolls back in - cheers :)

Oh but it's such slow progress :shock: :shock: But definitely felt good to get up something a bit spectacular! Yes - definitely had my doubts about the forecast coming through as it wasn't looking good (not that I'd have admitted that at the time though :lol: )

Collaciotach wrote:Good stuff and hopefully the recovery continues. :clap:

Thankyou 8) 8)

SMRussell wrote:Cracking :clap: Supremely jealous :D

Cheers - always good to get out and do something special after a long layoff 8)

Mal Grey wrote:A solo sunrise when everybody is sleeping is always special.

Funnily enough, I was looking up at the hill when we were at Craig bothy in The Before Times back in February, thinking that I bet the views were fabulous up there for a summit camp. That combination of mountains and sea is simply wonderful.

Glad you guys got a proper camp in. I've managed 3 local wild camps by the river since "lockdown", and a couple on a campsite, but on 11 total this year, I am somewhat behind my original target to beat 2019's 60 nights under canvas!

Yes you're absolutely right - sometimes it's nice to have something to yourself! It's a good hill though - we summit camped Alligin last year, and I guess the advantage is that you get the views across the other Torridon hills/Fisherfield etc, but less effort required here so I'm happy with that!! Hope you manage to get out and about a bit more the rest of the year!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:22 pm

SMRussell wrote:Cracking :clap: Supremely jealous :D

Precisely....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland