walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Last Munro for compleaters

Re: Last Munro for compleaters

Postby jmarkb » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:18 pm

One of the Ben More 10% here! We wanted a big group to come along for the last one, and by the time we thought about it, it was our only remaining easy singleton. We've more or less backed ourselves into the same corner for Round 2 as well, but we might just have a quieter affair next time.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby old danensian » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:21 pm

Mine emerged as the obvious choice as the remaining numbers dwindled. Most of the obvious ones were visited as weather, conditions, fate, opportunity and the availability of family brownie points saw me drift well into the 200s. Then, having started on Skye (Bruach na Frithe in 1973) , I knew I had to finish on it as well. It's neighbour, like cream rising to the top of the milk bottle, Am Basteir had to be reserved for the big day. Having been repulsed twice before, it was a score to be settled as well as a worthwhile challenge.

I'm now left curious to know how many others might have finished there as well.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Raize » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 pm

Inn Pinn must be up there.
Raize

Munros:45   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Ben Lomond. It will be a while till I complete, living abroad doesn't help. If still fit, I'll climb it starting from Glasgow (and maybe end it in FW, never done the WHW). If I am not fit anymore I still have some chances to reach the top. I'll change plans to the Cairnwell, if I need crutches by then.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Dave Hewitt » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 pm

old danensian wrote:Am Basteir had to be reserved for the big day. Having been repulsed twice before, it was a score to be settled as well as a worthwhile challenge.

I'm now left curious to know how many others might have finished there as well.

In terms of what I know (which I stress is a minimum figure), Am Basteir is middling in completion terms among the 12 Skye Munros - I know of 40 first rounds that have finished there (and one repeat), which puts it just behind Sgurr Alasdair - close enough that they're statistically equal given that there are lots of unknown finishes. Most years see at least one Am Basteir finish (and in relatively recent times these included one by someone closely linked to this site), and there have been little flurries of activity in some years, eg I know of six completions there in 2002 (these involved two couples, hence four actual "events"), and four in each of 2009 and 2013. First known finish there was by David Alexander, no.508 in the published list, in July 1986 - but there could well have been someone earlier than him.

The current known order for Cuillin completions is In Pinn - Bla Bheinn - Sgurr nan Gillean well clear, then a middle group of Alasdair - Am Basteir - Sgurr Dubh Mor - Bruach na Frithe (although this is quite a widely spaced group - Alasdair is twice BnF), followed by Eag - Ghreadaidh - Banachdich - Mhadaidh. As mentioned upthread, I think the Pinn could in due course - say by the end of this decade - be overtaken by Bla Bheinn. Am Basteir is an oddity, in that on the one hand it's become markedly harder but on the other hand it's now easier for a lot of people because they hire a guide. I've only been to the top once, in 1986, when the awkward step was a pretty simple downclimb that needed care (and I was glad of a friend below telling me where to put my feet) but no rope. I was back there a few years later and retreated because a significant chunk had fallen off, and there was subsequently a second rockfall - both these made it harder. You can sneak across on the ledges to the side, but this is seemingly quite hard to find and I've not done it (I had a quick look on my second visit, but the weather was closing in fast so it made sense to retreat).
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby LobeyD » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:51 pm

Still the wrong side of the 'Scary Cuillins' for any firm plans, but was looking at Bla Bheinn, Slioch or Sgritheall. You-know-what may have put paid to my plans to get there on my next milestone birthday. If the day is flexible, probably Bla Bheinn, one of the others if a fixed day, whatever the weather. Walking is my main solo, me-time hobby and would seem strange to suddenly drag folk out with me so that makes planning easier and a bit more flexible.

Still reckon Ben More is popular as most folk have forgotten about it :D .
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:21 pm

I wonder how many Ben More (Mull) Compleators finish there because they (like me) have continually put if off due to the hassle and expense of sorting out the Ferry. I don't want to finish there myself however. I had originally intended to finish on Blaven but ended up doing it by the South Ridge on a glorious day last May.

I'm not bothered about turning mine into a family day seeing as most of mine are basically dead or monumentally unfit (or in my dad's case scared of heights to the extent he was sh***ing it on the path up to Davie's Bourach in Glen Doll :lol: My sister would want to be there though, which is good because she likes wine and gin a lot and the after party would be fun.

I've still got 52 to go so plenty of choice. I'm currently somewhere between Ben Hope with a few of my walking pals, to something remote like Sgurr Mor on my own. My partner won't be able to do another hill due to long term health issues so that's kind of affected my thinking somewhat as well.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:26 pm

It was Slioch for me - reasons included past family holidays sentimentality. Had decided on Slioch from very early on although not the route I'd take. In the end I settled on a route which included neighbouring 2 corbetts and a graham with 2 nights' summit camps the second of which was Slioch. Perfect, almost too hot weather - one advantage of not setting a compleation date in advance.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:08 am

Ben More was my first munro and I've been to Mull many times. Things are different now with the 'rona but pre covid I rarely booked the ferry ( Oban - Craignure), Just turned up and usually got on ok. Saves having to worry about getting there on time. :D
I stay in Inverness now and mostly go to Mull via the Lochaline ferry which is not bookable, just turn up at the slipway. Ferry every hour with a break for lunch. Its only 20 mins on ferry and very cheap.
I've climbed Ben More a few times and it must be one of the best viewpoints in Scotland. I really feel sorry for folk who booked their visit well in advance for a quick bagging raid and got the typical Mull weather.
Also if you don't stick your boot in the sea before you climb Ben More it doesn't count. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Holly » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:13 am

Have never really looked beyond the next Munro and really didn’t ever consider that I would finish them all. Perhaps that isn’t an unusual way to think ? But if I do get to that point and I am fit and able do complete then perhaps unusually for me ,, I haven’t yet done Ben Nevis? This wouldn’t be definate tho because I have always considered it as an opportunist, maybe when I am passing , plan B kind of hill as I have never yet had the notion to do it ! I guess going by then CMD arête would be appropriate :-)
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Mine was more or less arbitrary. The order I followed was in three main phases:

1 Without a car: week or 10 day treks from a bus or railhead carrying all food and tent. About half the total were done like this.

2 Eventually it became impossible to find further tops which could be conveniently strung together like this, so I started to use a car: but initially still staying in one general area, with a week or 10 days of daytrips.

3 Finally, also with a car, haring about over long driving distances to add the stragglers - odds & sods which for one reason or another I'd missed, plus the 'splendid isolation' ones like Mull Ben More.

The last? It was Beinn a'Chleibh, Ben Lui's neighbour. Memorable for another reason also: after coming down and installing myself in the Tyndrum campsite, rang home from the phonebox (pre-mobile days), to find that my 93-year old mother had died earlier that day.
ChrisButch

Postby Stevekerr188 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Inn Pinn for me, though not by choice.

I used to go to Skye in the late 70,s ,early 80,s with my father when the Cuillins were done, minus the Inn Pinn.

In 2016 when I was compleating the total was whittled down to 6, The Inn Pinn and The Fisherfields. The Inn Pinn had been booked and cancelled first time around and then when arranged and cancelled a second time I went off and did the Fisherfields ,leaving the Inn Pinn for the compleation. Had the arrangement not been cancelled 2x the final one would have been A' Mhaighdean.
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby weesmudge » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:52 pm

Carn a' Chlamain Will be my last one
If all goes to plan I intend doing this as my final hill on the day of my 50th birthday which is in early January 2022
Easy to drive to and a relatively easy walk if the weather is to be guff.
Just need to get my finger out and get some more hills done. :crazy: :crazy:
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and thoughts. Interesting to read the stats also, not surprised at what came out top.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby St Pedro » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:32 pm

Mine was Ben Vane by Loch Lomond in Sept 2009, joined by 10 pals.
Took me 13 years after starting on Meall Corranaich / Coire Leith at Ben Lawers in May 1996. My target was to compleat prior to turning 40 in Oct 2010.
I revisited the 10 i had done prior to 1996 start, Goatfell as 11yr old was first proper hill walk and Beinn Ghlas / Ben Lawers in 1983 with my dad when i was 12 was first Munro.

my penultimate one was Bidean Nam Bian in Aug 2008,
We were celebrating my sons safe arrival in the world, born in May at 26 weeks only weighing 1000g, then 11 weeks in Neo natal incubator before getting him home at the end of july.

I had picked Ben Vane quite early on as liked the idea that it was the smallest munro just making the 3000ft. It also offered good overnight hotel options for wee shindig to celebrate as wanted my Mum and Dad to be able to join us afterwards.

The interesting thing was that 3 weeks prior to our compleation date, there was a resurvey arranged to check whether Ben Vane was actually a munro...
pals and i spent all morning checking internet for result and to wheter our well laid compleation plans were obsolete and last years penultimate outing was actual finish, thankfully it made it by 60cm or so. We had a fantastic sunny day and my pal compleated his 2nd round at same time i compleated. (His 1st compleation was on Ben Nevis)

subsequently joined other friends compleating
Oct 2010 on Beinn chabhair - decent day, only clouds
Apr 2011 on Ben More on Mull (met another group compleating at the same time) - superb, sunny day
Aug 2014 Sgurr Alasdair on Skye - decent bur cloudy
also met compleation group of 15 on Buchaille etive Beag (stob dubh) in Aug 2007

so plenty variety in our walking group, and another 4 working towards eventual compleation.

i was in no hurry to finish as felt a bit disappointed that one of my lifes goals was nearly over, hence 13 month gap after summiting Bidean. I focused on helping pals get closer to finish in interim, so lots hill adventures but it was a strange feeling when compleated. At the time had no plan to start Corbetts, thought i would revisit classic Munros...

Now Pedro adventures are focused on Corbetts and Grahams as love the planning, research and getting out to explore new places. Donalds have been compleated subsequently as winter/local outings from Fife.

In the words of John Muir,

"do something for wildness and make the mountains glad"
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion