walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More

Bynack More

Postby KatTai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 07/08/2020

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Choices choices, we've been repeating a lot of Munros so time to get another new one in and decided to head to new territory - Aviemore. Done a couple of corbetts up this way but none of the Munros. Bynack More was the choice and an early start - I was worried about parking, as it was it seems no one has clocked on to the existance of the Alt Mor car park as it still had plenty of spaces when I returned but at least I avoided the mad rush by setting out early.

It's an easy to follow route on good tracks the whole way, starting off going through the forest to reach the Lochan Uaine and then out across more open, fairly flat before a climb up and another flattish section before reaching the base of Bynack More. It was hot, but though it was dry all along the route there were still large pools of water to be found for the dogs to nip across to for a drink and a cool down, which they prefer so much more than the bottle of tap water that I carry around for them. Some of the pools were deep enough for the dogs to swim in! There are clear paths all the way to the summit, several options take your pick. We chose the clear lower path for the ascent and on the descent visited several of the tors though time spent hanging around was cut short by swarms of flies! Not sure whether they were the nasty bitey variety, I've only got one bite from something on my wrist, but they were annoying enough to deter hanging around.

On the way back we stopped off at a now jam-packed Lochan Uaine so the dogs could have a well-earned swim, but we didn't hang around long. Heading away from the lochan there were even more people on their way their with picnic bags and cool boxes and inflatables...busy little place! This did give an indication of what the drive back to Aviemore was going to be like, though the cars were mostly parked sensibly and though the road was narrowed it was still possible for two cars to pass with each other with no problem.

Still, I think I might give the other hills close to Aviemore a miss for a little while!

1.JPG

5.JPG

16.JPG

27.JPG
Beware of low-flying dogs...

30.JPG

38.JPG

42.JPG

46.JPG

51.JPG

68.JPG

88.JPG

131.JPG
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Re: Bynack More

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Looks like you got a brilliant day for this one and with the way things are with the crowds it makes sense to get out early.

I really should do this hill again as I was in thick clag when I did it a few years ago and didn't get the views you had. Really should have done it 5 years ago when I walked past on the way to the remote Creag Mhor but it was a fairly long day anyway so chose to leave it and head for home.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby KatTai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Looks like you got a brilliant day for this one and with the way things are with the crowds it makes sense to get out early.

I really should do this hill again as I was in thick clag when I did it a few years ago and didn't get the views you had. Really should have done it 5 years ago when I walked past on the way to the remote Creag Mhor but it was a fairly long day anyway so chose to leave it and head for home.

It was a great day, though I was glad there were plenty of spots for the dogs to have a cool down! It's definitely set out early for anywhere that could be considered remotely popular at the moment, been here a few times and I've never seen so many people there :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Jim777 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:35 pm

Lovely walk and some beautiful pictures - especially “low flying dogs”. Superb.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland