walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Where to buy gas in Glasgow or Milngavie?

Where to buy gas in Glasgow or Milngavie?

Postby Palle Dam » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi

I am going to walk the WHW in the beginning of September and will be wild camping on the way.
I will arrive to Edinburgh by plane from Denmark in the late afternoon and then take a bus or train to central Glasgow, where I will spend the first night at a hostel. The next morning, I will go to Milngavie, where the walk starts.

But I will need to buy gas for my stove locally, since I can't bring any fuel on the plane.
There are several outdoor stores in central Glasgow, but my problem is that they are closed when I arrive to Glasgow in the evening and doesn't open until about 10:00 the next day. I am hoping to leave for Milngavie before that so I can reach Drymen before dark.

Does anyone know where to buy gas canisters (screw-on type) in central Glasgow in the evening or early in the morning? Maybe a petrol station?
Or maybe there is a shop in Milngavie that sells gas? The Iron Chef seems to be closed (comments on Google Maps).

Palle Dam
Denmark
Palle Dam

Re: Where to buy gas in Glasgow or Milngavie?

Postby mylesmcs » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:38 pm

If you're really having an issue one option is to order via Amazon and have them delivered to your accommodation (with their permission).

That way you can just make your way there after landing, grab your gas and head to bed.

Maybe someone more local knows of somewhere but I've used this trick before when resupplying on longer hikes outside of the UK.
mylesmcs
Backpacker

Munros:9   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Scotsman2012 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:44 pm

There's a comment on Google maps that the shop next door to where the Iron Chef used to be is selling gas, although it's a pet shop.

You could phone or email them to find out - https://creaturecomfortsglasgow.com/
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Postby davekeiller » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:36 pm

Ordinarily, I'd say Tiso on Buchanan street, which is right in the centre of Glasgow, but that's currently closed and might not be open by September. Millets is also likely to sell gas.
Cotswold Outdoor in the West End would be a good bet - it's 5 minutes walk from Partick station, which you will pass through on the train to Milngavie.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby LobeyD » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Might be worth emailing the Beech Tree Inn near Killearn and the Oak Tree Inn at Balmaha if you're struggling. Both are close to the Way and have small shops. I'm fairly certain at least the Oak Tree does stock some camping supplies, although that would be passed on Day 2.

Decathlon Braehead and Go Outdoors at Coatbridge or Clydebank are open until 8pm some days but for a new visitor that would probably require taxis from the centre.

The Milngavie to Drymen leg is relatively straightforward though, good paths and no major climbing, so a 11am start should be fine in early September.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Holly » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:11 pm

I think Tiso are open now? I was in the one in Aviemore a couple of days ago? The one in Couper Street would not be too far out of your way and if you were there sharp at 10 when it opens then you should still have plenty time to make a start on your walk? Not too far from the bus station either. Obviously check in case some Tiso are open and some not.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby davekeiller » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:57 pm

Tiso Buchanan Street is, according to the website, still closed.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:23 pm

What date/time do you arrive. I don’t live far from central Edinburgh and could lend you one?
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Holly » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Tiso in Couper Street showing as open
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk