walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Badandun Hill - Again

Badandun Hill - Again

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:45 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill

Date walked: 06/08/2020

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 8.9 km

Ascent: 444m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This seems to be my go to hill at the moment as I try to build up my fitness after a long period of illness.

It's an easy little Graham but has great views up to the head of Glen Isla and over to Dreish and Mayar.

My starting point is always between Little Forter and Folda (on the Cateran Way route) where there is room for a couple of cars by the side of the road or there is a large car park 100 yards away at Folda.

I took a 30L rucksack on the walk (completely unnecessary) and filled it with heavy camera gear just to make the climb harder and hopefully to help me get fitter quicker.

This trip was to try to capture the late evening light having failed miserably 3 weeks ago when a bank of cloud arrived as I parked up and started the walk. It looked like the same thing would happen on this attempt as I left the house with wall to wall blue sky but by the time I reached Kirriemuir 20 minutes later the sun was gone and the clouds had returned.

Started the walk around 6:20PM, pretty uneventful, no hordes of people (actually, no people) and with a heavy rucksack it was a harder than normal climb away from the road to gain height. In the early stages of this walk I love the view up Glen Isla to Gas Maol so I find myself constantly looking left.

My hope is that I can climb this hill without stopping and last time out I took an hour to get o the top so I hoped to beat that time and made it without stopping with 40 secs to spare (sad I know but just a little challenge).

I sat at the top and cursed the weather gods as for the second time in 3 weeks I looked east towards where I live to see the area basking in late sunshine while I sat on top of this hill with a bank of high cloud between me and the sun.

Still, the dairylea cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches were epic and amazingly just for ten minutes the sun broke through so I grabbed the camera and got a few shots before the light went.

Took it easy on the way back down the hill and with the cloudy skies it was just starting to turn to dusk when I got back to the car. Not much wildlife around today, 3 red deer and one mountain hare for company.

All in all a great way to spend the night.

1.JPG
Looking West

2.JPG
And Again

3.JPG
Sun's Out - looking over towards Dreish and Mayar

4.JPG
Mount Blair

5.JPG
Obligatory wind farm shot

6.JPG
Cairn and trig point

7.JPG
Heading for home

8.JPG
Monster peat hags - bypassed on path

9.JPG
That's enough sunshine for you mate!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Badandun Hill - Again

Postby Kinshusrst Kid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:15 pm

Dairylea cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches - brill. A blast from my culinary past there.
Kinshusrst Kid

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:03 pm

Ah yes, Badandun Hill. Truly one for the aficionado of monster peat hags. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:44 am

Kinshusrst Kid wrote:Dairylea cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches - brill. A blast from my culinary past there.

For half a century it was DC and raspberry jam sandwiches but I have now upgraded to the more sophisticated DC and strawberry jam (with champagne no less) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:48 am

Graeme D wrote:Ah yes, Badandun Hill. Truly one for the aficionado of monster peat hags. :lol:

Staying local for now Graeme so might do Badandun's close neighbour and now bald Crock next. I'd need to check but I think it's been 6 or 7 years since I last did that one so be good to see how different it is.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:54 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Ah yes, Badandun Hill. Truly one for the aficionado of monster peat hags. :lol:

Staying local for now Graeme so might do Badandun's close neighbour and now bald Crock next. I'd need to check but I think it's been 6 or 7 years since I last did that one so be good to see how different it is.

It's was an absolute travesty when Crock was given that short back and sides a few years ago. Totally robbed it of its own particular appeal and character! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland