walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Looking After Your Tent

Looking After Your Tent

Postby brother52 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:22 pm

Just got back from an overnight camp today and wondered if my ritual when I get back home is worth the effort. Basically, when I get back I repitch the tent indoors- it’s a Soulo so no need for pegs into my wife’s hardwood flooring- and clean, ( wipe down with a damp sponge), and air dry it, then tie up the guy lines with rubber bands every trip. Question is, since I mostly go camping in good weather, it’s mostly condensation I am drying off, would this cause mould if I didn’t go through this ritual and packed it away as is? Am I best to keep doing this or is it a bit overboard,( the tying up the guy lines I think I will keep doing as I don’t want to be undoing spaghetti in the rain at my next camp😉)? What do others do with their gear?
brother52

Munros:74   

Re: Looking After Your Tent

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:35 pm

brother52 wrote:Just got back from an overnight camp today and wondered if my ritual when I get back home is worth the effort. Basically, when I get back I repitch the tent indoors- it’s a Soulo so no need for pegs into my wife’s hardwood flooring- and clean, ( wipe down with a damp sponge), and air dry it, then tie up the guy lines with rubber bands every trip. Question is, since I mostly go camping in good weather, it’s mostly condensation I am drying off, would this cause mould if I didn’t go through this ritual and packed it away as is? Am I best to keep doing this or is it a bit overboard,( the tying up the guy lines I think I will keep doing as I don’t want to be undoing spaghetti in the rain at my next camp😉)? What do others do with their gear?

If its at all damp, it gets aired until it is dry, that's critical or you will get mould and stinkyness. If its not damp when I put it away, it doesn't. I don't tend to worry about cleaning it unless its properly dirty, I just want it dry.

I never used to tie my guys, but it is worthwhile. Just double them over a few times and then do a loose overhand knot, nothing fancy. Fortunately my two current tents have clever guys that are easy to stow away.

Very, (and I mean very) occasionally I'll pitch it outside and have a good look over it, wipe down any real dirt, look for problems. Mine do get used often enough that most inspections are just done whilst camping though.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby brother52 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
brother52 wrote:Just got back from an overnight camp today and wondered if my ritual when I get back home is worth the effort. Basically, when I get back I repitch the tent indoors- it’s a Soulo so no need for pegs into my wife’s hardwood flooring- and clean, ( wipe down with a damp sponge), and air dry it, then tie up the guy lines with rubber bands every trip. Question is, since I mostly go camping in good weather, it’s mostly condensation I am drying off, would this cause mould if I didn’t go through this ritual and packed it away as is? Am I best to keep doing this or is it a bit overboard,( the tying up the guy lines I think I will keep doing as I don’t want to be undoing spaghetti in the rain at my next camp😉)? What do others do with their gear?

If its at all damp, it gets aired until it is dry, that's critical or you will get mould and stinkyness. If its not damp when I put it away, it doesn't. I don't tend to worry about cleaning it unless its properly dirty, I just want it dry.

I never used to tie my guys, but it is worthwhile. Just double them over a few times and then do a loose overhand knot, nothing fancy. Fortunately my two current tents have clever guys that are easy to stow away.

Very, (and I mean very) occasionally I'll pitch it outside and have a good look over it, wipe down any real dirt, look for problems. Mine do get used often enough that most inspections are just done whilst camping though.

Yeah, I think that’s the thing when you said about yours being used pretty often. Right now I am doing an overnight camp on the hills about once a week to once every ten days. Just wondered if the ritual was necessary. I will probably keep doing it as I suppose it means knowing the tent is in good shape and clean for next time,( my wife may not be overjoyed at that decision when she gets in from work and sees the back room again.....).
brother52

Postby Skyelines » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:48 pm

Must be bone dry before storage(check the guy-lines are dry). I tie up the guys on mine too, it makes it so much easier when pitching next time, no tangles to sort out.

I also store my tent loose, not rolled and packed in the bag. My theory (without anything to back it up) for doing this is that as the laminate hardens in the UV light the tight creases will be sources of delamination as the tent ages.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Khal » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:48 pm

As mentioned above alway allow your tent to air dry before packing it away. I always tie my guy lines as I have a Fjällräven, if not I always end up with knotted guylines. Which is frustrating next time you wanna pitch the tent.
You can spot wash any mud or dirt off your tent, but allow it to dry. You could also brush the inside. Depending how dirty your tent is you might want to brush the zips with a toothbrush to remove any dirt. And lastly store your tent in a bag or loose to prevent any crease forming.
Khal
Scrambler

Postby brother52 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks all. The idea of keeping the tent loose in storage to prevent delamination I will take on board, it makes sense. I guess it’s worth the effort when I get back from a camping trip to keep doing things the same way I have been. I like to be set up as much as possible,( batteries charged, dehydrated food packed, supplies stocked and packed away), for my next trip as I find it a slog going from an empty back pack searching for things. I did find it easier getting a laminated packing list so I don’t even need to think and touch wood haven’t missed anything yet on my trips. Thanks again.
brother52

Postby mcbultra » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:30 pm

I tie up the guy lines when packing away the tent and once home, take the tent out, unroll it and hang it over a couple of chairs in the living room for a few days to be sure that all dampness is gone

The separate groundsheet tarp goes in the washing machine at 40 with some woolite to get off the mud then hung over a door
mcbultra
Rambler

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:46 am

I clean off any dirt or mud then air dry my tent(s) outside (I have cats) until they're bone dry then put them away.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:53 am

Would you put damp clothes away,no,so tent should be cleaned,aired and bone dry if you want it to last.
I have various sizes of plastic containers where things are stored and easily found for my next camping trips.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:43 pm

When I get home, I just empty out any bits of grass etc then hang it up from the roof joists in the attic and leave it to air dry for as long as is needed. I store it very loosely inside an old cotton duvet cover.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk