walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cycling to Corrour Shooting Lodge Loch Ossain

Cycling to Corrour Shooting Lodge Loch Ossain

Postby scoob999 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Just wondering if anyone has biked upto the shooting lodge, looking for info on start point and track condition
Thanks in advance :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Cycling to Corrour Shooting Lodge Loch Ossain

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:26 pm

Where are you planning to start from? The usual way is from Loch Laggan - good gravel surface all the way (if you rent any accommodation, I think you can drive in this way, but it is ££££££). Now that there have been some hydro schemes put in, there was also a good track from near Rannoch Station to the other end of Loch Ossian along the old Road to the Isles route. I read that the developers were supposed to restore it back to a 1m wide path once finished - no idea if that happened or not. Probably worth checking some of the more recent reports for Carn Dearg, Sgor Gaibhre and Beinn Pharlagain to get an idea what state it is in.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby scoob999 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:38 pm

malky_c wrote:Where are you planning to start from? The usual way is from Loch Laggan - good gravel surface all the way (if you rent any accommodation, I think you can drive in this way, but it is ££££££). Now that there have been some hydro schemes put in, there was also a good track from near Rannoch Station to the other end of Loch Ossian along the old Road to the Isles route. I read that the developers were supposed to restore it back to a 1m wide path once finished - no idea if that happened or not. Probably worth checking some of the more recent reports for Carn Dearg, Sgor Gaibhre and Beinn Pharlagain to get an idea what state it is in.

Aye we were thinking Loch Laggan, never even though about Rannoch side though :D will have a look on google earth
By the way, it was to do the Alder Munros.
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby LobeyD » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Check out the Badger Divide bikepacking route from Inverness to Glasgow. This route passes past Lochan na Earba to Luiblea then south through Strath Ossian to Corrour then Rannoch Station. Suggests that is all cyclable. Not done the full thing (yet) but I have used a bike to access the Munros in that area, including the Luiblea to Corrour section, and generally all the double dashed routes are very good surfaces. For most a gravel bike or decent hybrid would even be fine.

Did try to cycle up to Ben Alder from Loch Ossian less successfully. Got about 50m up the single dash section before walking :D .
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:58 pm

I've driven in a van from Loch Laggan to Corrour Lodge. From memory it was slow going, about an hour to do 15 miles. Not a particularly pleasant route, to drive anyway but sure it would be OK if not a bit monotonous on the bike.
This was about 15 years ago I reckon, when they were getting the new lodge ready to open.
It is / was a spectacular place, modern building with games room. They were building a big artwork mountain made of loads of sheet metal when we were there. We got a bit of a tour of the lodge - very impressive.

If I was doing some of these munros again I quite fancy walking in from Corrour Station past Loch Ossian.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Skyelines » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:25 pm

I drove in from A86 eight years ago when I stayed in one of the cottages. The track was very smooth once past the forest where there had been some work going on, but that wasn't too bad. It was quite an adventure as it was in the dark.
The return in the light was most enjoyable with a feeling of remoteness.

A lot smoother than the forest roads I mountain biked on 35 years ago.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby gaffr » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:39 am

Hello, Have been in to the station at Corrour by off road bike from the Laggan road to reach the Corbett Leum Uilleim...out and back in a day so the track is good. Returned from the station using the track on the North side of the Loch Ossian which is an easier ride than the south side. Also been in a couple of times to reach award scheme folks.
From Dalwhinnie we have been through to this area on the bikes with an overnight at Staoineag bothy before pushing on to Fort William. Not a good track all the way through.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Steve B » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:04 pm

I cycled to just above Loch Ossian from Rannoch the other weekend. Track is good all the way there and good down to the Loch where it continues to either the lodge or Corrour station the other way.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:37 pm

You could do Corrour Station to the Lodge on the north side of Loch Ossian on a penny farthing if you needed to.
:lol:

And if you are trying to get to Beinn Eibhinn or Ben Alder you can keep going eastwards for another 2km or more, until you get to a new small hydro dam (unless the new track has been turfed over again since I was there last September?

Enjoy!

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion