walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui and Cairngorm.. Beautiful Views but no Grey Man..

Ben Macdui and Cairngorm.. Beautiful Views but no Grey Man..

Postby Coutts94 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:54 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 23/08/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 900m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So it was time to tackle my local Munros.. I lived in Aviemore for 6 years, and had never set foot above the Cairngorm Car Park :lol: Shocking.. So I couldnt wait to venture into the Cairngorms!

The weather forecast was clear all day, so I thought what better way to start than with Ben Macdui and Cairngorm, a nice easy path after doing 5 munros just a couple of days previous. I also took my Cocker Spaniel Lexi, who was very excited to get out and do more Munros. :D

I set off from Inverness at around 8.15, reaching the Cairngorm Car park by 9 oclock, If only all Munro drives were this short!

I set off heading right, first going past the Fiacaill ridge and the great slab, what a view! I kind of wish I was going up the ridge, it looked like a lot of fun (maybe not with a dog). The paths are sturdy and well built, maybe to deal with the large summer crowds! It was very busy, I must have overtaken around 15 people getting to the top of Ben Macdui!

Anyway I carried on the path, with the Lairig Ghru and the whole Braeriach/Cairn Toul in sight :o The views were magnificent!

Coming close to Ben Macdui I encountered the famous boulder field, which was actually rather easy, the rocks are nice and rounded and I was over it in no time. I think Lexi enjoyed it too :lol: Once on the summit of Ben Macdui I was amazed at how warm it was, for the 2nd Highest Mountain in Britain it was T-Shirt weather! Amazing views all round, I spend a good half hour getting a bite to eat and admiring the sights. It was also very busy, around 20-25 people all having lunch and spoiling others photos :lol: I havnt experienced that sort of tourist attraction Munro, I feel it takes a little bit away from it when you see people arriving with nothing else but Jeans and a T-shirt on and no bag/jacket etc.. but each to their own.

I recently read a report on here that showed the plane wreckage close to the summit on Ben Macdui, sadly I didn't know it was there at the time so missed my chance to see it, such a sad sight to see but interesting history. I will no doubt be back up to see it.

I made my way back down to the junction towards Cairngorm, then stopped to view the amazing Fiacaill Buttress.

Untitled1.png

Untitled.png

I then made my way up to the top of Cairngorm, again very busy but beautiful views all around. Then all that was left was the walk down to the car! Probably one of the easiest days out I have had so far, but very much worth it. I cant wait to do the Braeriach Traverse Munros and all the other ones.

I think Lexi had fun too, probably one of the highest dogs in Britain :lol:

Untitled2.png

Anyway I hope you enjoyed my report, as always here is a little video I have made of the whole walk!

Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm.. Beautiful Views but no Grey M

Postby Sgurr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:18 pm

Nice walk.. Always a boost to start so high up. I think the Grey Man got fed up with all the fuss around the Macdhui area and took up permanent residence near The Merrick in Galloway. Mind you, he is quite a grump.

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm.. Beautiful Views but no Grey M

Postby Coutts94 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Sgurr wrote:Nice walk.. Always a boost to start so high up. I think the Grey Man got fed up with all the fuss around the Macdhui area and took up permanent residence near The Merrick in Galloway. Mind you, he is quite a grump.

Yeah definitely a boost! Haha yeah it looks like it! Quality Picture :lol:
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland