walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The mossy mountain isn’t so boring....

The mossy mountain isn’t so boring....

Postby Fragglerocks » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 21/07/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 712m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first walk report, Ben Chonzie. I tend to leave the popular hills to days off through the week, being a vet mean these are as rare as hens teeth!! Thanks to Corona, this is my first Munro of the year, so I thought I would ease myself in gently. Most route descriptions have Ben Chonzie down as a boring plod, so my expectations were low. Thankfully it turned out to be a great walk, and a less than boring hill.

After a grand drive up the beautiful Glen Lednock, I arrived at the parking area about 8.15am, and was the fifth car there, a couple were just setting off as I booted up. The Munro Mutt and I followed behind, up the track and right at the cottages. It was a gorgeous day, sunshine, blue skies and a gentle breeze.

The track ambles up the hillside, curving round to the right, giving great views of the summit we were heading for. Crossing the ford at the dam, and continuing up the track, gradually getting a little steeper, until we turned off at the cairn, and up a peaty path. After a few minutes the fence posts were in sight, Ben Chonzie isn’t a tricky one in terms of navigation on a sunny day thankfully. The amble along the top follows the line of fence posts on the right, and cairns on the left. There may not be dramatic aretes, or scrambles to explore, but there were countless Mountain Hares, blaeberry bumblebees and a variety of birds (meadow pipits and skylarks??).

The Munro mutt and I sat and watched the hares as we ate our early lunch, cocktail sausages for him, cheese & jam sarnie for me. We headed down a different path initially, further to the left, to continue watching the Hares, before cutting across to the main path, and headed back down the hill. We stopped to chat to a lovely old guy who walks Ben Chonzie in all seasons, we talked about the Hares, our favourite hills, and our plans for future walks. Saying good bye, we were off, tootling down the track and heading home.

Corona virus has taught me a lot this year, it’s taught me never to take our freedom for granted, and to see the different characters of each hill I walk. Sometimes it’s not about knife edge ridges and adrenaline, sometimes mountain hares are enough.....
Attachments
F62D863C-D541-4803-8DB2-FCEF2E56CA10.jpeg
Ready to go
2AB6A29F-0B93-4619-BC72-058811415A72.jpeg
Beautiful area
674C2823-1D4E-4D95-8BA6-DC740AAA6672.jpeg
The wee dam
A4F1E0F4-F8B6-4B28-B1D3-29891EC89BDC.jpeg
Munro Mutt
115358BA-7881-4EAF-9273-7EB7A8D3A4E6.jpeg
Long and winding road
B1D6A7FD-0D62-4B4A-8086-C53532D880AE.jpeg
Summit
14DF9C15-6291-4870-8C14-877C4947C32D.jpeg
Mountain Hare
8C644114-FFD0-496E-B52C-5D77F830A996.jpeg
Views for miles
26F03011-B77D-4677-8F8C-2F4F1D9775D7.jpeg
Time for an early lunch
Fragglerocks
Hill Bagger

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:47   Islands:9

Re: The mossy mountain isn’t so boring....

Postby onsen » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:49 am

Fragglerocks wrote:Corona virus has taught me a lot this year, it’s taught me never to take our freedom for granted, and to see the different characters of each hill I walk. Sometimes it’s not about knife edge ridges and adrenaline, sometimes mountain hares are enough.....

Oh, so true.....
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Wintersunshine » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:08 pm

Great report thanks, lovely pics & such true sentiments. Tell Munro Mutt hi from coire Corrie!
Wintersunshine

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:43 pm

onsen wrote:
Fragglerocks wrote:Corona virus has taught me a lot this year, it’s taught me never to take our freedom for granted, and to see the different characters of each hill I walk. Sometimes it’s not about knife edge ridges and adrenaline, sometimes mountain hares are enough.....

Oh, so true.....

:thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland