walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bike & Hike

Bike & Hike

Postby Dom_89 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:43 am

Hi All,

I have just taken delivery of a new mountain bike through my work cycle to work scheme and looking to combine a bike and hike. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can combine the two? Open to travelling anywhere so hoping to get out over the next month or so before the days shorten!
Dom_89
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Re: Bike & Hike

Postby jmarkb » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:15 am

Assuming you want to do Munros, and not ones you have climbed already, then the East Highlands / Cairngorms offer plenty of good opportunites: Beinn Dearg, Carn a' Chlamain, Glas Tulachain and neighbours, Carn Bhac, Sgarsoch & Ealar, Macdui circuit from Linn of Dee, Chaorain & Bhreac, Bhuird & Avon.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malrobb » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:35 am

The Ben Alder Munros and the four on the opposite ridge seem to accessed by bike a lot from Dalwhinnie.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby Tringa » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:10 pm

How about the Fannichs?

This would need checking with the Fannich Estate (or someone here might know) but you used to be able to cycle from the A832 to Loch Fannich which would give access to the south eastern Fannichs.

Dave

I think the track went as far as Fannich Lodge, or even a bit further, but you'd have a longer walk to get a hill.

Dave
Tringa

Postby LobeyD » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Tringa wrote:How about the Fannichs?

This would need checking with the Fannich Estate (or someone here might know) but you used to be able to cycle from the A832 to Loch Fannich which would give access to the south eastern Fannichs.

Dave

I think the track went as far as Fannich Lodge, or even a bit further, but you'd have a longer walk to get a hill.

Dave

Did this weekend before last. No issues cycling in from the south side. Mostly tarmac up to the Lodge with about a mile of rougher gravel at the east end of the loch. Bit of a plod up An Coileachan but a decent stalkers path down off Meall Gorm. The eastern 4 from the north looked like a boggy slog so this seemed a good option even with a bit of out and back.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Dom_89 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:48 pm

LobeyD wrote:

Dave

Dave

Did this weekend before last. No issues cycling in from the south side. Mostly tarmac up to the Lodge with about a mile of rougher gravel at the east end of the loch. Bit of a plod up An Coileachan but a decent stalkers path down off Meall Gorm. The eastern 4 from the north looked like a boggy slog so this seemed a good option even with a bit of out and back.

How long did this take? This could be an option
Dom_89
Mountain Walker

Postby Dom_89 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:48 pm

jmarkb wrote:Assuming you want to do Munros, and not ones you have climbed already, then the East Highlands / Cairngorms offer plenty of good opportunites: Beinn Dearg, Carn a' Chlamain, Glas Tulachain and neighbours, Carn Bhac, Sgarsoch & Ealar, Macdui circuit from Linn of Dee, Chaorain & Bhreac, Bhuird & Avon.

Some great options there that I'll look into. Thank you!
Dom_89
Mountain Walker

Postby LobeyD » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Dom_89 wrote:
LobeyD wrote:

Dave

Dave

How long did this take? This could be an option

Bike was about 7 miles in to the stream on the OS map about a km or so east of the Lodge. There's a bridge (and cattle grid) which is useful for locking up. Took about 35-40 mins on a gravel bike. You gain about 600ft on the cycle which came as a surprise as it never felt like it, it is a very steady gradient beyond the first section. Really nice cycle ride as it has a very remote feel quickly and the east side of An Coileachan is quite dramatic. Didn't see a soul until Meall Gorm as you are going against the normal route.

The walk was about 14 miles with 5000' of climbing mostly on decent surfaces and took about 6.5 hours without too many breaks at a decent pace as the weather came and went. Very little bog!

On the same trip I also used the bike for the Ullapool Deargs which saved a couple of miles of landy tracks in and out and involved a (literal) no pedal descent. Also used on the Strathfarrars to save 7k of road bashing.
LobeyD

Postby Dom_89 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 am

Bike was about 7 miles in to the stream on the OS map about a km or so east of the Lodge. There's a bridge (and cattle grid) which is useful for locking up. Took about 35-40 mins on a gravel bike. You gain about 600ft on the cycle which came as a surprise as it never felt like it, it is a very steady gradient beyond the first section. Really nice cycle ride as it has a very remote feel quickly and the east side of An Coileachan is quite dramatic. Didn't see a soul until Meall Gorm as you are going against the normal route.

The walk was about 14 miles with 5000' of climbing mostly on decent surfaces and took about 6.5 hours without too many breaks at a decent pace as the weather came and went. Very little bog!

On the same trip I also used the bike for the Ullapool Deargs which saved a couple of miles of landy tracks in and out and involved a (literal) no pedal descent. Also used on the Strathfarrars to save 7k of road bashing.[/quote]

I only managed Ben Dearg when I was last up that way and had earmarked taking a bike as far as the edge of the forrest the next time when completing the rest. Is this as far as you took the bike?
Dom_89
Mountain Walker

Postby prog99 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:23 am

Dom_89 wrote:I only managed Ben Dearg when I was last up that way and had earmarked taking a bike as far as the edge of the forrest the next time when completing the rest. Is this as far as you took the bike?

There were bike tracks higher up the track the other day but I wouldn't guarantee a high quality experience!
Its not one I would purposely take the bike for unless I was doing other trips with it in the area
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby LobeyD » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:36 pm

prog99 wrote:
Dom_89 wrote:I only managed Ben Dearg when I was last up that way and had earmarked taking a bike as far as the edge of the forrest the next time when completing the rest. Is this as far as you took the bike?

There were bike tracks higher up the track the other day but I wouldn't guarantee a high quality experience!
Its not one I would purposely take the bike for unless I was doing other trips with it in the area

Yes, at the turning area just before the end of the trees and the access gate.

A bike is definitely not essential but prevented the round of the 4 hills fully killing me on day 2 of a 4-day trip. I've also reached an age where my knees are more of a presence on walks, and find the bike both a good warm-up and keeps the wear and tear down. My general rule is that I am happy to cycle in on my gravel bike but as soon as a full MTB is required I should be walking. Have no interest in cycling up hills, just to them.

As an aside, a bike is also very useful right now as it gives you a little more parking flexibility.
LobeyD

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:42 pm

Dave

Dave

We did this 2 years ago, but went beyond the lodge as we were going to attempt Sgurr nan Each and the other two. It turned into a complete shambles. In the preceding two days I'd done a 100km route round Torridon and the Coulin/Annat loop. I was pretty much ruined before we even got to the lodge. The track thereafter is a very hilly, rough affair covered with patches of mud and cowshite which goes through a forest and stops at the ruined Nest of Fannich bothy. We managed Meall a'Chrasgaidh then largely agreed we'd had enough and walked out. The cycle out was hell until we hit the tarmac and realised we had a tailwind. Glorious.

We also had the company of the gamekeeper's wee terrier from the lodge. It followed us right to the summit and back. On passing the lodge we chapped his door and barely even had to explain what had happened: "Has that wee shite been up there again?" :lol:

In summary, hell would freeze over before i would consider that route again.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion