walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corse Hill (cycle)

Corse Hill (cycle)

Postby calumd93 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:32 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Corse Hill

Date walked: 10/09/2020

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 51.5 km

Ascent: 376m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After gaining inspiration from users on this site, I decided to give Corse Hill a go from the opposing route. This meant there was 20 miles worth of gradual and at times steep ascent to enjoy. From the southside of Glasgow, Corse Hill is extremely accesible by bike. It should be noted this route is cyclist friendly with cycle lanes, paths or quiet country road for the duration.

With the weather overcast and dry I set off at 11am. I cycled up Kilmarnock road, Fenwick road and the gradually steep Ayr road past Mearns cross until Ayr road becomes the A77. I continued on for just over a mile and turned left at Kingswell road. After avoiding a sheep who had broken free from the fence that divides surrounding fields I carried on and spotted the Whitelee Wind Farm in the near distance. I joined the B764 and after passing a sign welcoming me to the Eaglesham Moors I turned right into the Wind Farm.

There is access on the Wind Farm for authorised vehichles only. The road surface there started off as tarmac but soon gave way to loose gravel which was a joy to cycle over. I continued on for 7 miles until I reached Corse Hill. I had mapped out my route on Google Maps, but there was no need to refer to this because of wooden sign posts directing you to the various tourist attractions at the Farm. I was anxious after cycling under the first few turbines, they make some roar in the wind.

The trig point for Corse Hill dwarfs under a massive wind turbine. Access to the trig point is slightly overgrown with a trodden single path leading you to the point. After enjoying the view (which was spoiled by grey cloud) and a glimpse of Tinto Hill I carried on down in the Eaglesham direction. The gravel road of the wind farm then gives way to a rocky grass path. Eventually, I dismounted the bike for 250 metres while navigating through private land, again this was sign posted. I started on a farm road and eventually came out at Strathaven road. This meant I entered Eaglesham from the south side and enjoyed a gradual descent north for just over 10 miles until I reached my home destination.
Attachments
FB1887A0-FF39-44F3-A620-0D10FC1C2E07.jpeg
Entering Eaglesham from the southside... All downhill from here.
4F9C4E92-0592-476B-B47A-8192C9F92660.jpeg
Sign for Lochgoin Covenanters Museum on the B764 beside Whitelee. There is various walks that can be enjoyed that are all signposted at the Wind Farm.
A40D511A-5402-4A00-BFBC-632A2B9FE79F.jpeg
Corse Hill is the highest point in East Renfrewshire.
06B201E0-1CBA-4B20-ADDC-0112191DF7DB.jpeg
Loose gravel road at Whitelee, thicker tyres needed.
E752EB5B-742C-4B68-B943-CC5966E52357.png
A loose sheep on Kingswell Road
0B0D87A4-B8AD-49BE-B2B3-207A65766D00.png
My cycle route.
calumd93
Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland