walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Stacath

Beinn Stacath

Postby Tam Collie » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:32 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Stacath

Date walked: 30/08/2020

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 19.19 km

Ascent: 981m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From Inverlochlarig over the bridge and then back through 'water meadows' to Invernety. Followed an old track on west bank of the Invernety looking for the bridge shown on the map which I failed to find and ended up at the sheepfold. Turned East and crossed the burn and fence and then up through fire break (burn) to meet the road on the East side of the Invernety Glen which I followed past the first zig-zag to the next where it opens out onto the fell.

IMG_1446.JPG
Out of the woods at the waterfalls

Took the zig-zag past the little bothy and then onto the hill making for the West ridge of the Coire Odhair and the pointed top you can see from the road. Given the name Toabh na Collie but no woods here other than the forestry plantation.

IMG_1447.JPG
Ascent slope, not too hard

Once on the tops a gentle circuit around Coire Odhar to the summit trig point of Beinn Stacath and some good views. Perhaps better that from its neighbour Stob a'Choin.

IMG_1454.JPG
Beinn Stacath

IMG_1456.JPG
Hills to the North

The spice for the day was to go and search for aircraft wreckage in the corrie below Ceana na Baintighearna, I didn't find any but apparently a big clean up removed most of it in the 60's. Back to the the top where I met a couple who had climbed from Ballimore and then retraced my route back to Invernety, quickly visiting the small (locked) bothy that I'd missed on ascent.

IMG_E1472.JPG
Bothy

Spent a little time exploring for the missing bridge. Followed the forestry track down to the Invernety burn over a 'style' and found a narrow gorge in dense overgrowth , a secret swimming spot if ever there was one and the sort of place that a bridge may have been but found no evidence. Descending a path (deer?) on the East side of the river I found an easy crossing as it met the valley bottom and then set off across the meadows again. (If the river is in spate this would not be possible and a crossing at a height of the sheep folds should be sort. That said after heavy rain the bottom of the valley would probably be too wet to use this route anyway!)

Decided to ford the river Larig as a short cut back to the car as I'd parked some way short of the car park as it was full.
This is not a recommendation in anything other that summer low water levels, as the water was well over my waist and if there had been a flow would have seen me swimming. Final short pull across more meadows to the road saw me once again covered in mud but I had a change in the car!

Good day out in some very nice weather. Pulled a deer kedd off me, hate the things but you have to expect them when you go into the woods. Unfortunately left my walking poles beside the car as I drove off so if anyone picked them up I'd appreciate you dropping me a line.
Tam Collie
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:127
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:73   

Re: Beinn Stacath

Postby Tam Collie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:03 am

For anyone who goes in search of the Armstrong Whitworth Whitley , I have found an alternative source that put the wreckage in a different place, so it's likely that I was searching the wrong corrie. The wreckage lies to the NE of pt 701 in the
Fathan Glinne and apparently there is still wreckage to visit.

further information can be found online such as the Edward Boyle's very informative site http://www.edwardboyle.com/wreck18.html

whitney.png
Tam Collie
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:127
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:73   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland